Photo

What does a minimalist need an RV battery for?

battery

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

Bill, I didn't get the battery from Four Wheel campers but everything was wired to a fuse panel on the drivers side under the flip up storage bin, pre-wire for solar is also there but not connected to anything. You will have Fantastic fan, porch light,interior LED's wired and fused.  Ron

Edited by nikonron, 11 December 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#12 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Minimalist here too. Old backpacker/canoe camper. We found our Eagle shell used with stove and furnace. Which of course comes with a battery and propane tanks. For the 1st 2 years we didn't even use the stove or furnace. Now that I've bought a fridge and set up solar charging in the camper I'm sold.

Sized right to run things for days without charging makes many things get easy. The furnace is so nice before bed when it's cold and for a few minutes in the AM. I'm actually making coffee and using the stove a bit now. I feel it's a much safer way to cook inside than a backpacker camp stove. We use the amber porch light a good bit.

But the fridge is a game changer. As I see it the alternatives are either running for ice from time to time. Or buying a cooler that costs almost as much as the fridge! But camping for a week plus with nothing getting soaked in the fridge will grow on you fast. 

My bud has a super minimalist tow behind popup. He uses his battery mainly for lighting and sometimes a fan. He could easily live without the battery but he likes having it.

You can glance at my set up here. I need to do some updating there.

http://www.wanderthe...e-build-thread/

Edited by Squatch, 11 December 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#13 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

It is all just about your own opinion of what you need and want.  For my neighbor with the 30 foot 5th wheel going to the 17 foot trailer another neighbor has is minimalist -for both neighbors my fully rigged Fleet is minimalist.  I have backpacked for 50 years and know I could get by with a lot less stuff than my Fleet has but have grown to appreciate warmth without too much heat, a cold beer and good food, comfortable bed, and having my wife camp with me (she refuses to go out and find a tree at 3:00AM).  So just being minimalist is not my goal, it is having the minimal equipment to maximize my camping fun.  And that is different for everyone that I know.  Over time it may change for you.  I also think as others have said it is better to prepare ahead than repair later.  If you do spring skiing having a forced air heater is great to reduce condensation, dry out wet cloths, and keep warm at night without a 0 degree bag.  We try to cook outside, but rain and bugs sometimes make that difficult -I would hate to cook inside without the fan.  I could get by with my Yeti, but having a fridge just makes everything easier and better.  Those are the three priority uses for my battery although inside lights, backup lights, recharging of phone and GPS and smoke detector are also important.

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

Do you have dual batteries in your truck? Mine didn't come with a battery and I ran it off the truck batteries just fine for a while. Fan and lights? You could get away without a camper battery. If you only have one battery in the truck I'd want a camper battery just in case. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users