• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

My new, to me, 2013 FWC Hawk does not have a side awning. My previous, '03 Hawk had the Fiamma awning. I loved the Fiamma quality and ease of use and it worked well for a quick deployment single night stay. However it did not offer a very large area of protection against sun or rain, so when staying for multiple nights in one spot I would set up my First-Up 10x10 screen house. This would also allow us to leave camp for the day and return to a fully set up camp with chairs, table outdoor kitchen, etc all protected by the 10x10 shelter. 

I have thought about different side awning options to add to the '13 Hawk, but I think I could manage with just a free standing shade house - if I could find one that is lighter, more compact (when stored) and easier/faster to set up than my current 10x10 First-Up which is in need of replacement after 13 years of use (50"x8"x8" when stored, steel frame, weighs about 40lbs).

IMG9941-L.jpg

After a few hours on internet searching, the best candidate I have located is this QuikShade Solo LT90 aluminum frame model:

161583_Solo90_Charcoal_Blue.jpg?lr=t&bw=

Can anyone comment on their experience with this make and or model? Are there other better makes out there?

Thanks

Edited by OutbacKamper, 11 December 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

We go into some pretty buggy country, and I find that a screen tent is just as or more important than shade. Ours is a REI version with a rain fly, and it does a good job of keeping biting critters out. What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks. We usually have a tarp along as well for quick shade in not so buggy country.

I am haunted by waters

#3 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

We go into some pretty buggy country, and I find that a screen tent is just as or more important than shade. Ours is a REI version with a rain fly, and it does a good job of keeping biting critters out. What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks. We usually have a tarp along as well for quick shade in not so buggy country.

I tend to avoid bug infested areas as much as possible. I have the optional screen sides for the First-Up and have probably used them about 3-4 times at most. On the other hand I tend to need shade and/or rain protection on almost every trip. 

" What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks."   :D I  can see how chasing chipmunks would be irresistible. 

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

We use one of these, $93.00 at Walmart online. Sets up in about a minute great protection from sun and bugs. Not so good in the rain.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#5 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

We have a Kelty shade house that we are pretty happy with.  We only set it up if we are going to be camping in the same place for a few nights, but its nice to have the option of putting shade up when you need it/want it.  I also have the awning on the back of the camper which is handy too for a quick deploy, but of course limited on location.

Keep an eye on Sierra trading post and REI garage and you can pick up last year's model of a shade tent pretty reasonable.  I've got about $100 into mine and for that it was a good investment.   

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:03 AM

I have an REI Alcove which has served me well over many years. I've recently come up with a way to do a side awning with a tarp.

http://www.wanderthe...e-4#entry149292

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

I've been looking at this one from Cabelas.  for the price, and the favorable reviews, seems like a decent deal.

http://www.cabelas.c...48#BVQAWidgetID

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

After reading a review in a thread here I bought one of these along with 3 solid sides:

https://www.amazon.c...am screen house

We have set it up once to use, in high winds (50+ mph) and it was stable and secure. We did not put the sides on it in those winds, but the top's shape is enough to have possibly caused trouble and it did not. I expect to be able to use it as a shower house by placing the door side (can't get a solid side for that face) against the truck.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. That Cabelas screen house looks like it is very good value for the size, however (like all "tent" styles) it looks like it would be very time consuming to erect. Lots of shock cord poles to assemble and thread through the pockets in the roof and sides. I am looking for something much quicker and easier to erect.

#10 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

After reading a review in a thread here I bought one of these along with 3 solid sides:

https://www.amazon.c...am screen house

We have set it up once to use, in high winds (50+ mph) and it was stable and secure. We did not put the sides on it in those winds, but the top's shape is enough to have possibly caused trouble and it did not. I expect to be able to use it as a shower house by placing the door side (can't get a solid side for that face) against the truck.

I have been reading up on that model, it seems very quick to set up. When packed it seems pretty bulky (72"x8"x8"), how much does it weigh?

Edited by OutbacKamper, 12 December 2016 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users