• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

This is the one I am thinking about getting. 

http://www.busdepot....details/awning/

I really like the crowned top instead of just hanging a tarp out there. But I am finding that most of my trips I don't sit still long enough to warrant putting up anything. 

Pretty cool. Looks like a larger version of the ShadyBoy but without the clamshell housing. How does this mount? I only saw something about using vehicle rain gutters.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#32 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

This is the one I am thinking about getting. 

http://www.busdepot....details/awning/

I really like the crowned top instead of just hanging a tarp out there. But I am finding that most of my trips I don't sit still long enough to warrant putting up anything. 

I like this. It can be an attached awning, free standing awning or completely enclosed with optional walls. The larger 8'x11' model would be just right. Thanks for the link!!!

I got a very prompt reply from AT Overland re the Nemo Tarp:

"Thank you for your email. The Nemo awning is currently out of stock. We will be receiving more stock in the middle of January. We will make them available on our webstore then as well as broadcast their availability through our newsletter and Facebook page."

Edited by OutbacKamper, 22 December 2016 - 02:30 AM.

#33 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

I thought I would add a little to this conversation.
We are planning a trip later this year to Nova Scotia and then to Alaska in '18 so we will be in bug country.

After reading all the comments here I decided to order "The Clam" I found it on Amazon for $219 but I see that it is now $225

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, one of the reasons I was interested in this was the ability to quickly set it up single handedly which I was able to do right out of the box. I was also a little concerned about it possibly being too large but as you can see here I think it is just about a perfect size.

I think we will be buying the optional side panels for additional wind and sun protection when needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0577.JPG
  • IMG_0578.JPG

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#34 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Smlobx, we love our Clam and the sides are great. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#35 SeatoSea

SeatoSea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

I use a Coleman 10x10 pop up, going into my 3rd year. Easy to set up & light weight.
Coleman 10'x10' Instant Canopy/Screen House
Average rating: 4.5out of 5 stars175 reviewsratings
Walmart #: 552558990

#36 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this screen house? Eureka northern breeze?

https://www.campmor....ze-screen-house

We were on the outer banks last year and someone a couple of sites down had something similar. They had the drop down wall/awnings and just let them blow in the breeze most of the time. I didn't get a chance to speak with them but was impressed with how theirs held up in a storm or 2. Not sure if it was the same thing as this but very similar.

I currently tie a small tarp on the side of my current screen house as an evening sun shade. Kind of a pain. I like the idea of the drop down walls.

This would just be used on a couple of trips a year where we stay base camped for several days.

#37 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Eureka makes a quality reasonable cost screen house.. it has center zip door...no floor and if staying a few days it is great to sit out and watch the frustrated bugs at the screen. If there is steady rain one needs a tarp over the top but usually I stay in the camper if its that heavy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bugless.jpg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#38 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this screen house? Eureka northern breeze?

https://www.campmor....ze-screen-house

We were on the outer banks last year and someone a couple of sites down had something similar. They had the drop down wall/awnings and just let them blow in the breeze most of the time. I didn't get a chance to speak with them but was impressed with how theirs held up in a storm or 2. Not sure if it was the same thing as this but very similar.

I currently tie a small tarp on the side of my current screen house as an evening sun shade. Kind of a pain. I like the idea of the drop down walls.

This would just be used on a couple of trips a year where we stay base camped for several days.

We have a very similar one, ours an older PahaQue model -- an earlier version of this 10x10 screen room.

It's great under the right circumstances but we don't use it very often while traveling.  When my wife and I travel, we generally move on daily so don't want the set-up and take-down time a screen-tent takes.   But for something like a long weekend at the beach or staying a few days somewhere where the bugs come out, it's very nice. 

I also like it (a lot) for truck-camper trips with my brothers.  The camper's too small for the three of us to sit around inside so we need the screen-tent for space if there's any threat of rain.  We roll up the sides at setup and leave them up until evening, then lower one or more sides to temper whatever breeze comes up.  Or drop them for rain.  It's VERY pleasant to sit in there around the cooler with a light rain pitter-pattering on the roof.

One thing that's a bit misleading about the photo on the PahaQue site is the extended awnings on the sides and back.  You can do that but would need to buy the additional awning poles-- which gives you that much more stuff to lug around and more stakes to place.  I thought I'd eventually get more awning poles but haven't. I just don't need that little bit of additional shade for what it takes to get it.  I'm glad the capability's there but don't think I'll ever use it.

Erecting the PahaQue is a bit unwieldy and definitely takes two people. And of course the staking out process isn't fun.  There are a LOT of stakes, particularly if you need to maximize stability for heavier winds--- not to mention additional awning poles.

The Northern Breeze looks good and the reviews are encouraging.  I found the video I attached below  and was surprised to see it can be erected by one person.  The PahaQue doesn't have that center roof joint so requires two people to achieve any stability at all during setup.  That center joint gives the Northern Breeze a self-supporting frame the PahaQue doesn't have.

The Northern Breeze also has superior doors.  The PahaQue merely has a center and bottom zip so you roll back the flaps and have a triangular entrance.  The Northern Breeze also has side zips so the entire panel (and screen) can be rolled up and the entire end is open. Something to look for on any screen tent (IMO).

The Northern Breeze is also superior in providing a center pole for the awning.  The PahaQue only provides two poles so the awning sags in the middle.

I believe this video gives you a pretty good sense of what the Northern Breeze is like.  The massive storage bag, the hardware, the less-than-elegant rolling-up process for the sides, etc..... 

When I travel alone, I can't take the PahaQue because I can't set it up by myself.  I bought a Clam Quick-Set Traveler 6x6 screen tent for my Florida trips but have yet to use it.  I spent much of the last one hiking late in the day and was just happy to get back to the camper and relax there.  But I also think I'll eventually hit some so-glad-to-have-it days.

Edited by Old Crow, 10 April 2017 - 03:46 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#39 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info. For us the big screen house would mainly be for extended stays such as our annual beach vacation. I'm thinking the one I saw last year may either the Clam Pavilion or the above Eureka. It was tan and brown.

Most short trips I have need for neither an awning or the screen house. but they are nice for group gatherings. I like the setup on the Clam pavilion. But the packed size and length is a deal breaker.

This is my old screen house. It still has a few trips left in it. If I can set up this old school tent by myself I can set up most anything. I've used the pole sets from this old screen house with 12x12 tarps to make a cheap and good awning in the past. They will be retained for that.

okracoke%20041%20Small_zpsjmk8wdbp.jpg

#40 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered the Eureka Northern Breeze 12x12 in blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users