15 replies to this topic

#1 redbuckeye84

redbuckeye84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to truck camping. A friend and I just picked up a new to us 1986 Sun Lite Eagle TC. We got it on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks and plan to use it for hunting. It's solid and clean.

I realize it's not a top of the line unit, but is there anything I should know about it? (Pros, cons, quirks, smart mods to make etc?)

The converter seems to be dead. It worked when we first got the camper, but now the 12v side is dead (there was a blown fuse which I replaced but still have no 12v power. The AC side is still working). I assume it's original it says Progressive Dynamics on it. Is there a way to repair it or should I just replace it? If replace - what should I get to replace it?

Thanks! I look forward to learning from you all!

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

Welcome to the group.

There is a wealth of info on this site.

Questions do get answered one way or another.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

Welcome to the group!

I still see Sunlite campers on the road, so there's some quality in them. I think you 'dun good'!

If you don't have a digital multimeter, I recommend getting one (not expensive...  try RadioShack) to help with any and all electrical issues. If the converter was working when you got the camper, chances are it still is, but I'm not sure how to help you find the problem. Did the fuse blow again? Use the ohmmeter function on the multimeter to check it. Sometimes they look good, but are in fact blown. If the converter is dead, my opinion is to replace it with a modern unit like an Iota with a module (IQ4) that keeps a maintenance charge on the batteries once they've reached 100%.  I believe Progressive Dynamics are still around, so check the internet.

I'm sure others will chip in as well.

I am haunted by waters

#4 redbuckeye84

redbuckeye84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

Thanks! I have a multi-meter and just pulled the camper into the garage to work on it after the holidays. I've been learning a ton on here thus far about the electrical system. I'm a minimalist when it comes to camping so I don't think I'll need much other than being able to run a few lights (looking into converting to LEDs) and charge cell phones. The unit that's in it is a 15amp, the ones I'm seeing online like the Iota are available in much larger sizes. Do I need anything more than 15amps? For heat I'm planning on using a buddy heater (and cracking a window) instead of the furnace so it doesn't draw the amperage as where we hunt there won't be a hookup.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:12 AM

Welcome to Wander the West and best of luck with your project. Half the fun is learning.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Whether 15 amps is sufficient depends. The 15 amps will be split between running your loads & charging your battery when you have power and how many amp hours you have to replace in the battery. Might be plenty of power for minimalist needs if you aren't running loads while charging the battery.

Welcome & enjoy learning.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to truck camping. A friend and I just picked up a new to us 1986 Sun Lite Eagle TC. We got it on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks and plan to use it for hunting. It's solid and clean.

I realize it's not a top of the line unit, but is there anything I should know about it? (Pros, cons, quirks, smart mods to make etc?)

The converter seems to be dead. It worked when we first got the camper, but now the 12v side is dead (there was a blown fuse which I replaced but still have no 12v power. The AC side is still working). I assume it's original it says Progressive Dynamics on it. Is there a way to repair it or should I just replace it? If replace - what should I get to replace it?

Thanks! I look forward to learning from you all!

One of my brothers has an 89 or 90 Sunlite Eagle he bought off Ebay about 8 years ago.  I love that thing.  We've done many miles of forest road in it.  When my two brothers and I travel together we opt for the larger Sunlite rather than my FWC Hawk or my van.  The large table and U-shaped round-the-table seating of his floorplan is perfect for meals and long evenings. The only mods to it were swapping in LED overhead lights and cutting the opening for the porta-potti a bit higher for the larger-capacity model.

The one lesson we learned the hard way when he first got it is the fridge will kill the battery fairly quickly if you forget to switch from battery to propane after stopping.  His connection to power is merely a connection to his trailer-plug so the fridge killed the truck's starting battery.  Fortunately, I had brought along a trolling battery from my fishing boat to run a CPAP machine and he had jumper cables so we got out of it easily.

The thing about so many of those wood-frame campers is they can get structurally ruined by a water leak.  My brother's has damage to the roof frame and there's something odd going on with the right-side lifting bracket-- it has started up into the frame.  My point is you may want to store it under a roof or at least cover it with a tarp for any extended time outdoors.  And check for leaks and don't ignore them.

The other thing I know is three people can use up the oxygen in that smallish space pretty easily. Don't forget to ventilate.

Converter:  If you're convinced you need the converter, you might get the model number off your unit and start with this web page of manuals and troubleshooting guides for discontinued models of Progressive Dynamics products.  I believe troubleshooting is typically a matter of disonnecting the 12-volt side, plugging it in to AC, and testing for voltage somewhere in the 13.3-14 volts range at the 12v terminals. If it's dead, check the reverse-polarity fuse(s).  If still no-go, call Tech Support.  That's just the general idea. If you can't find anything on your model, call Progressive Dynamics tech support for assistance.  You might also check the web (and particularly YouTube) with searches.    I believe Progressive Dynamics does repairs but I don't think I'd go that route given that older converter probably isn't a great battery charger.

Heat: My brother's Eagle didn't come with a furnace. We've been happy with a Portable Buddy (single-panel) heater but only have experience with it in temps down to the mid-Twenties overnight.  If you hunt at altitudes above 7000 feet you will most likely be disappointed as the Buddy will keep shutting off and is frustrating to re-start. 

Propane: If you currently have a propane tank and are planning to keep it, you will probably want to check your tank's expiration date. And you will want to think through whether you want a propane alarm, where to put it and how you're going to power it.  And you'll want to test your lines for leakage and condition.

Lift mechanism - My brother's camper has a smooth-working roof lifting and lowering mechanism but we do have to be sure the crank is engaged well to avoid damaging the gears.  I believe it's a Heco and parts can be found on the Web (here, for example) if yours has or develops issues.

(Edited 12/21 to add the last three paragraphs)

Edited by Old Crow, 21 December 2016 - 01:26 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:22 AM

Congrats on your camper redbuckeye84. Sorry can't offer ant input, but if you didn't know about this site, I would strongly recommend it.
How about a couple pictures to see your camper. Maybe it will grow on you and end up doing more camping after hunting season.
Thenak russ.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 Crowcall

Crowcall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

One of my brothers has an 89 or 90 Sunlite Eagle he bought off Ebay about 8 years ago.  I love that thing.  We've done many miles of forest road in it.  When my two brothers and I travel together we opt for the larger Sunlite rather than my FWC Hawk or my van.  The large table and U-shaped round-the-table seating of his floorplan is perfect for meals and long evenings. The only mods to it were swapping in LED overhead lights and cutting the opening for the porta-potti a bit higher for the larger-capacity model.

The one lesson we learned the hard way when he first got it is the fridge will kill the battery fairly quickly if you forget to switch from battery to propane after stopping.  His connection to power is merely a connection to his trailer-plug so the fridge killed the truck's starting battery.  Fortunately, I had brought along a trolling battery from my fishing boat to run a CPAP machine and he had jumper cables so we got out of it easily.

The thing about so many of those wood-frame campers is they can get structurally ruined by a water leak.  My brother's has damage to the roof frame and there's something odd going on with the right-side lifting bracket-- it has started up into the frame.  My point is you may want to store it under a roof or at least cover it with a tarp for any extended time outdoors.  And check for leaks and don't ignore them.

The other thing I know is three people can use up the oxygen in that smallish space pretty easily. Don't forget to ventilate.

Converter:  If you're convinced you need the converter, you might get the model number off your unit and start with this web page of manuals and troubleshooting guides for discontinued models of Progressive Dynamics products.  I believe troubleshooting is typically a matter of disonnecting the 12-volt side, plugging it in to AC, and testing for voltage somewhere in the 13.3-14 volts range at the 12v terminals. If it's dead, check the reverse-polarity fuse(s).  If still no-go, call Tech Support.  That's just the general idea. If you can't find anything on your model, call Progressive Dynamics tech support for assistance.  You might also check the web (and particularly YouTube) with searches.    I believe Progressive Dynamics does repairs but I don't think I'd go that route given that older converter probably isn't a great battery charger.

Heat: My brother's Eagle didn't come with a furnace. We've been happy with a Portable Buddy (single-panel) heater but only have experience with it in temps down to the mid-Twenties overnight.  If you hunt at altitudes above 7000 feet you will most likely be disappointed as the Buddy will keep shutting off and is frustrating to re-start. 

Propane: If you currently have a propane tank and are planning to keep it, you will probably want to check your tank's expiration date. And you will want to think through whether you want a propane alarm, where to put it and how you're going to power it.  And you'll want to test your lines for leakage and condition.

Lift mechanism - My brother's camper has a smooth-working roof lifting and lowering mechanism but we do have to be sure the crank is engaged well to avoid damaging the gears.  I believe it's a Heco and parts can be found on the Web (here, for example) if yours has or develops issues.

(Edited 12/21 to add the last three paragraphs)

Old crow, thanks for the input on this thread.  I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Sun-Lite that seems to be in great shape.  I know the 4 Wheel and ATC are superior campers, however the one I'm looking at seems to be fairly and affordably priced for a noob like me.  I figure that I'll see how it goes the first year of camping, and possibly upgrade.  It's good to know that your brother's camper is reliable.  Any idea on how easy it is to install a solar panel and inverter in a Sun-Lite?  Again, thanks for the feedback.  

#10 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

Congrats & welcome aboard.  :)

Lots of great folk on this forum willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users