• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

To the OP - welcome aboard.  Our first camper was a Sunlite and we loved it - would still have it if we hadn't outgrown it.

Crowcall - let me know if you have any specific questions about the 2000 Sunlite - we had ours for about 15 years and loved it.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#12 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Old crow, thanks for the input on this thread.  I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Sun-Lite that seems to be in great shape.  I know the 4 Wheel and ATC are superior campers, however the one I'm looking at seems to be fairly and affordably priced for a noob like me.  I figure that I'll see how it goes the first year of camping, and possibly upgrade.  It's good to know that your brother's camper is reliable.  Any idea on how easy it is to install a solar panel and inverter in a Sun-Lite?  Again, thanks for the feedback.  

To my mind, the most important thing is to go, to get out there, whether that's with backpack-and-tent, car-camping rig, van, truck camper, or whatever.  The vehicle is much less important than seeing and experiencing the outdoors, meeting other people, learning all you can, forming your own opinions.

Your strategy of 'seeing how it goes' in the first year of camping is a good one.  I'd skip the solar panel for now and figure out how to run without one. If you need a small inverter for charging up personal electronics, laptops, etc (because you don't have 12v chargers for everything, for example) that's easy -- just plug the inverter in to the cigarette lighter in your vehicle for up to 150-or-so watts of power.  (And you may want to get a 12v socket adapter for your truck's battery so you can charge with the ignition key off if the inverter doesn't come with battery clamps and you want to charge from there).

Edited by Old Crow, 05 January 2017 - 03:59 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#13 redbuckeye84

redbuckeye84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the input - very helpful!! Here are a couple of pics. I haven't had a chance to dig into the converter situation any further. Hope to soon! Planning on giving it some TLC, re-painting, installing a fan, led light conversion to start. And yes, I think once I'm done I'll find I want to use it for more than just hunting :)

Attached Thumbnails

• RenderedContent-59AA1BDC-E196-41F5-9A78-2C2FEDD4BDE7.JPG
  • RenderedContent-B6DD7451-F7F2-4891-A53B-C84CD71A050A.JPG
  • RenderedContent-C75ABE50-7BF1-4EAE-8C59-5CDF71C5AAD8.JPG

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Cool Camper. I was actually looking for one of their mini truck campers when I found my used FWC. The Sunlite's are much more common that a FWC here in the east. I saw one on CL today and posted it in the for sale section.

#15 Hunterbuild

Hunterbuild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

I'm loving my 92 sunlite. It's on my ford 250 4x4. Been on some harry back roads, and holding up well. got it 2 years ago for $700. Was dirty and roof was beat up by hail. Cleaned and patched roof, good to go.  

#16 Casacove

Casacove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:39 PM

Can I jump in here? I have a 1970 Sun Lite Eagle. Is there a way to halt the roof half way down so I go outside and tuck the canvas in or is that why the struts are being installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users