#1 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

I have just received my new Hawk shell and have some questions about wiring.

1) what are the solar plugs/port  actually connected to? Should I be able to plug in a portable panel that has a controller and be able to charge the Hawk Battery?

2) I have a Victron 700 battery monitor that I would like to set up/install. However, I am not sure how to access the wiring in the cabinet between the battery and the separator/fuse box area. Any suggestions?

3) in the battery box there is a spare red and back wire with yellow connectors. Is that for a second battery?

4) there is a coil of green wires with one (fused)yellow wire  near the separator. I have no idea what this is for...

5) any suggestions for getting a wire from the battery compartment to the fuse/separator area?

6) does anyone know where I can get documentation about the wiring?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:09 AM

Mike, is this a brand new shell? If so, your dealer should have helped you with this!

The solar plugs are typically connected to the solar controller, so if you want to use a portable panel with a controller, you probably need to identify the wires for the plug you're using, and connect them to the battery, observing proper polarity, with a fuse on the positive lead near the battery. You might consider a switch or diode so the plug isn't hot all the time.

I can't help on the Victron, in fact there are so many questions that in my opinion it would be best for you to speak directly with the folks at FWC. Maybe others here can help, but I can only guess at what's what in your configuration.

Apologies that I can't offer more.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi Mike and welcome to WTW and the FWC families!

As Wandering Sagebrush mentioned, there should have been a fair amount of docs with you shell, if new.  Even if purchased used, I would go back and ask the seller if they have the docs that came with the shell from FWC/dealer.

While the wiring diagrams are not in the owner's packet, many of the connections are described in the docs.

Here is the link to the FWC web site and docs for components/owner manuals.  Perhaps the answer to some of your questions might be found here.

Let us know in this thread if you find the info you need.

Edited by Advmoto18, 21 December 2016 - 11:24 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#4 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

Ask FWC to send you a wiring diagram. They did it for me. It was a little hard to understand, but I was able to figure it out.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Welcome to the family Mike.

When we received our shell model we ordered it with just the two connectors (no solar panel) so the wiring was not connected to the battery. You will find two sets of two wires (black and red) coiled and secured near the "Sure-Power" unit in the battery compartment.

As "Wandering" suggests go back to the seller. If they are the dealer they will help you. most of us use a solar controller permanently mounted as most of us eventually add a roof solar panel to run and charge the battery for a portable or front opening compressor fridge.

I'm not familiar with the Victron either. Contact them and see if they have an installer in your area. If not, get the install instructions and locate a   mobile electronics shop  which is what I did . They installed my Trimetric battery monitor for $75.00 (well worth the price because I have a professional install with no problems to date).

You don't say, so guessing you probably ordered the "tower" on the drivers side which contains: propane bottle on bottom. Battery compartment above. And either a stove or empty shelf on the top.

Portable panels with built in controller

I found these units to be very heavy (around 26-30 pounds) and expensive.($200 Renogy) We purchased a 60 watt stand alone panel (about 12 pounds and less than $90 )And a MorningStar charge controller

from Solar Blvd   www.solarblvd.com.

We use an Engle top loading portable compressor fridge that draws only 1.5 amps average after the cool down period (20 minutes from 108* temp to 39*. 2,5 amps continues draw) and made up a 50 foot length of 12 gauge 2 conductor wiring for shade camping.

The 60 watt puts out 3.5 amps per hour which is enough for our needs.

For your application you may need a 100 watt panel. Consider a flexible as they only weigh 4-5 pounds and can be stored under your mattress when traveling. Yes there have been problems, however just from one manufacture that as of this writing refunded everyone's money and took the product off the market. Research Flexibles on Amazon plus there is a "pinned" post on flexibles.for your review.  Click on the link.

In my build post I have a lot of info on my experiences with solar that might benefit you as you do your research and build your shell.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 21 December 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

Welcome to one of the best forums and campers on the planet!  Pictures of what you are talking about would be helpful, and as others have said, if this is a new camper then you should be able to get documentation from FWC.    If not, then the pictures would be a good place to start.  Post those and we'll help as much as we can!

I've got a Victron setup in my shell, BMV 702 as well as dual 75/10 controllers.  Do you understand the Victron instructions?  

#7 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. My Shell did not come with solar, just the roof and rear plug. I think I have found the connectors to those plugs. I am still trying to figure out how to run wiring inside the cabinet as it all seems to be pretty sealed up. Any suggestions for accessing?

I happen to have a 40W portable panel and have access to a 120W one. Both of these have their own built in controller, so I think I will try using these first.

If I can't figure out how to run wires through to where the separator is, I may mount the Victron battery monitor in the battery box.I will also contact FWC and the Canadian dealer to see if they can tell me more. I did not find much in the docs package.

I will take a couple more photos and figure out how to post them later.

Thanks again to all! Great forum!

Edited by mhjackson123, 21 December 2016 - 06:00 PM.

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

You probably need to remove some of the cabinet panels to access wiring. there will be screws holding then in place. as others said FWC is your best source for details and a wiring diagram..

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

Adding Photos

From the Home page scroll down to WTW Member Support or click on the link. The top 3 pinned posts explain the steps to

embed photos in a post.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#10 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

I have just received my new Hawk shell and have some questions about wiring.

1) what are the solar plugs/port actually connected to? Should I be able to plug in a portable panel that has a controller and be able to charge the Hawk Battery?
THEY ARE LIVE ONCE YOU CONNECT THE 2 IN THE BATTERY BOX, (THEY COME FROM THE FUSE BOX AREA)

2) I have a Victron 700 battery monitor that I would like to set up/install. However, I am not sure how to access the wiring in the cabinet between the battery and the separator/fuse box area. Any suggestions?

6 OR 8 SCREWS. GAVE ME ACCESS, THERE IS A FEED FOR 12 VOLT PORT ALSO. AFTER INSTALLING A FUSE IN THAT SLOT AT THE FUSE BLOCK.

3) in the battery box there is a spare red and back wire with yellow connectors. Is that for a second battery?
THE SMALLER WIRES ARE FOR SOLAR HOOKUP FOR THE ROOF AND REAR PORT. THE LARGER MAY BE FOR THE SECOND BATTERY. I ORDERED MY 2016 HAWK SHELL WITH 2 BATTERIES.

4) there is a coil of green wires with one (fused)yellow wire near the separator. I have no idea what this is for... ITS ON THE LABEL INSIDE THE DOOR. YELLOW IS FOR THE CEILING LIGHTS, GREEN IS FOR THE REAR FLOOD LIGHT OPTION.

5) any suggestions for getting a wire from the battery compartment to the fuse/separator area?
DRILL HOLES. I DRILLED 3 FOR MY EXTRA WIRE RUNS.

6) does anyone know where I can get documentation about the wiring?
I ASKED FWC THE SAME. THEY WOULD NOT SEND. THEY SAID MODELS CHANGE TOO OFTEN.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Edited by tree, 21 December 2016 - 11:19 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, battery monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users