- - - - -

E bikes?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I'm an old, long time cyclist with bad knees. I just read a thread on another forum about this E bike.

http://www.radpowerb...m/pages/radmini

Once again it's got me thinking of an E bike or conversion for trips with the camper.

Does anyone here use an E bike when traveling? These things are a whole new ball game for me. But I find the concept interesting.

I have a motorcyclist friend with a class C motorhome. He often uses a highway legal scooter(300cc) for a dingy. I like this but too heavy and too much complication and cost.

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

I typically don't take my ebike when I'm camping but I do ride mine almost every day.  As a matter of fact, today, I passed 20,000 miles and I bought the bike at the end of Feb 2013.  I love my ebike and it makes a 30 mile ride very doable, I only went 26 today because I got a late start:>)  This is my second ebike so I've been riding them for about 6 years.

There are a few things you need to understand before taking the plunge.  First, the batteries are very expensive and in my case typically started failing after a year of use due to so many miles each year.  Typically OEM batteries cost over $450.00 each.  I ended up buying my last batteries direct from China.  Also my OEM battery was around 10 amp/hrs and in the last year I jerry rigged 2 20 amp/hr batteries giving me 40 total.  Not only does give me the range (100+ miles) on a charge, they are still going strong after a year.

You need to think about battery replacement as a maintenance cost, but it does exist. If you only do light riding, they supposedly can last up to 3 years. 

Another consideration is some of the ebike companies go out of business.  That's what happened to mine.  The good thing was it forced me to figure out how to maintain the bike myself.  I've completely rewired the controller because the original wiring corroded so bad, my bike stopped about 10 miles away.

I've seen the rad power ads on facebook.  Their pricing looks good but I don't know about the quality. One good source to learn about ebikes is https://electricbikereview.com/

Another consideration is battery maintenance.  They need to be charged often (Lion).  If you don't ride your bike for an extended period of time, you should top off your battery at least once a month. And charge after each ride not matter how little you rode.  Also, batteries don't like heat or extreme cold so charge in a warm area and the battery should last longer.  The most important part of the battery is that it has a good Battery Management System (BMS).  This is a computer that monitors each cell and shuts it down if one gets too hot, otherwise they explode.  

Edited by BobM, 01 January 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#3 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:52 AM

I don't own an e-bike yet but my wife and I have considered purchasing one due to being 66 and living in a rather hilly area.  No problem when I feel like a very serious workout.  However, if I'm looking for a leisurely ride or want to run an errand via bike it not's very attractive.  I've test road several at an e-bike expo in Portland.  We also have 2 e-bike stores in town.  The good news is that many of the well established bike brands that have been around for a long time are now adding e-bikes to the line up, including Trek, Cannodale, Felt and several others. The advantage is that sales and service can be handled by their established dealers.  Based on the test rides I've taken, I'm partial to the mid or crank drive motors vs hub motors.  Bosch has a proven system and there are several others from Europe and Japan.  I believe Shimano now has one as well.  I was impressed by the Bosch system, with 4 ride modes, allowing ranges up to 75 miles, depending on load and terrain and which mode one rides in.  I've seen weights of e-bikes down to 39#'s at the low end but more commonly seem to be in the 40 - 50 lb range. I'm seeing a lot more folks commuting to work on these in Portland, particularly on the hilly west side.  I think they would be great to mount on the rear of our truck.  If I did this, I'd want to look into a way to recharge the battery when driving.  I believe some options do exist for this.  Main concern I would have about carrying on on the rig would be securing it when away from the truck.  They aren't cheap.  Bikes theft is more of an issue in this area now days and with a motor added,  I suspect a more tempting target.

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the info. It helps.

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

I've been doing some reading on this. I think I'm going to try one of the better conversion kits on one of my bikes before I spring for a new E bike. It seems the factory bikes use many of the same parts as the aftermarket sells. I'll probably start with a gear driven hub motor and spend the real money on a quality battery pack.

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've been doing more studying. I think by mid summer I'll have this bike.

020%20Small_zpsjcdwj0dk.jpg

Set up with one of these.

https://lunacycle.co...-mid-drive-kit/

If that works out well I'll have one of Mama Squatch's bikes set up before our annual beach trip.

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

I've been doing my homework for a while. I just took the plunge. I ordered a Mid drive kit from Luna cycles with a few added bells and whistles.

This kit.  https://lunacycle.co...-mid-drive-kit/

I figure I can spend $1,500 on an E bike. Or spend similar and add it to a nice moderately high end bike I already own and have a much nicer ride with much more power

The kit is supposed to be here next week. I'm stoked!

I intend to install it on this bike.

006 (Small).JPG

#8 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

I just recently got an E-bike, an FLX trail.  I've only had it a couple weeks and have just over 100 miles on it.  I'ts going to ride along on a lot of upcoming trips. I hadn't ridden a bicycle in about 20 years so it's been a fun experience.

Being a 74 year old guy with two artificial knees, this works great!

FLXa..jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

I've been doing my homework for a while. I just took the plunge. I ordered a Mid drive kit from Luna cycles with a few added bells and whistles.

This kit.  https://lunacycle.co...-mid-drive-kit/

I figure I can spend $1,500 on an E bike. Or spend similar and add it to a nice moderately high end bike I already own and have a much nicer ride with much more power

The kit is supposed to be here next week. I'm stoked!

I intend to install it on this bike.

attachicon.gif006 (Small).JPG

I wanna come watch!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#10 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:44 AM

I converted a '96 stumpjumper early this summer with the kit you got. That bbshd runs like a scalded ape. The eclipse chainring gives the best chain line for a 68 mm bottom bracket but you lose some top speed. Also, with 42 tooth, it was too torquey for me so I toned down the pas settings. I also converted a tandem to a cargo bike with a stokemonkey from grintech. I'm also thrilled with it. Both bikes were meant to take to the mountains with the camper but fires have kept me away. I've been using them for runs to the supermarket and commuting to work sometimes. I haven't been this enthusiastic about something in a long time. Best of luck with your conversion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users