Tiny Houses

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#11 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Aesthetics, what could be more pleasing than living in something like this ;)

Attached Files

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#12 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

So, what's the difference from just buying a used 5th wheel/old RV and parking it?

Some of it is aesthetic, some is functional.

To some folks, having a "house" is important. It can feel more like a home, rather than so transient. It's more customizable - generally you are building it or having it built, so can choose what materials, equipment etc. Often folks who are into tiny houses are also into sustainability and such, so will want to use low-toxic and more sustainable materials. The tiny homes are usually going to be of better quality than any RV, which aren't typically made for full-time living (unless you get into those crazy priced Class A beasts). You can insulate a tiny house better than an RV.

The general idea is to build something extremely personal to fit your true needs and lifestyle and nothing more.  Perhaps you need storage for lots of fishing gear, 2 bicycles, a dog, you want a decent sized kitchen, a bathroom with a full sized tub and you also want a wood burning stove.

Most often tiny houses are little beasts in the end.  Quite heavy relative to their size.  Although towable some may sit in the same place for long periods of time.

One of the big things Hoyden mentioned.  They are designed to be your home.  They need to feel like home.

#13 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

I think it is crazy and there will be a lot of them on the market for pennies on the dollar in a few years.

cwd

CWDT

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:07 AM

I think it is crazy and there will be a lot of them on the market for pennies on the dollar in a few years.

cwd

I appreciate that they are a fad right now, but as the cost of materials increases, land goes up in price, energy costs increase etc. I think there will be a natural increased demand for smaller more affordable/efficient homes over time.

There are plenty of foreclosed full sized houses on the market right now, for pennies on the dollar, because people couldn't afford to keep them.

The cost of electricity in Ontario Canada this year is outrageous (costs have tripled).

Experts that spoke with Global News say there is no easy fix to the problem of soaring energy rates that have led to roughly 567,000 Ontarians owing more than $172.5 million in unpaid hydro (electricity) bills.

More than 60,000 homes got cut off.

My province (Alberta) just introduced a carbon tax.  Gas just went up 5% and the cost of everything will go up by about 3 to 5%.

Edited by Bill D, 08 January 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#15 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

Still trying to understand the concept and appeal. 

Is it a custom high end single wide? A cabin on wheels? Small enough to tow behind a private vehicle of some sort. A lot of expense and effort into the chassis to make it road worthy for moving occasionally.  I would imagine the interior finishes would have to be well thought out to deal with the flex and movement for when it does get moved,otherwise there would be extensive cracks and damage.  Self contained?  If it's to feel like a home, I'm thinking a shower and toilet would be nice.  Figure that's got to go somewhere, I guess you could dig a latrine pit.  An old 5th wheel could easily be updated and freshened to make it more appealing and the chassis is designed for it being moved.  But then there wouldn't be all the hype and TV shows.

If it's to be a down sized house, nothing precluding anybody from just building smaller.  That would mean foundation, probably permitting and zoning costs, more property taxes.  People have been building hunting shacks and small cabins for centuries.  Some are pretty elaborate, although most aren't designed to be moved.  Well maybe a high end ice fishing shack, just on wheels instead of sleds.

#16 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Think about those large Class A motorhomes. That's a 'tiny house' but usually not very good quality, easily can cost in the six-digits, and look like a bus. Cuz it's a bus. Same with a 5th Wheel. Pricey and often low quality. 

From what I've seen, most folks who have tiny homes don't move terribly often but like having the ability to go elsewhere.

They have them partly for the conservation (like what Bill D) mentioned above, partly for aesthetics, and partly for affordability.

(they want mobility, don't wanna live in a bus, and usually more affordable than a Class A / 5th Wheel.)

They have showers and toilets - like RVs, often with black and grey water tanks, or (my fav), a composting toilet. 

Having a foundation does change one's legal footing /a lot/.

An awful lot of townships don't allow for permanent home full-time living structures that small, especially inside city limits. 

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#17 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

I don't disagree that they are definitely a current fad, but it's a fad towards conservation, simplicity, less 'stuff' philosophy, and utility.

A lot of folks will find that living in such small spaces for any period of time doesn't work for them, but a lot of folks will find they quite like this new way of living. I know that I have always preferred living in smaller spaces. 

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#18 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

I don't disagree that they are definitely a current fad, but it's a fad towards conservation, simplicity, less 'stuff' philosophy, and utility.
A lot of folks will find that living in such small spaces for any period of time doesn't work for them, but a lot of folks will find they quite like this new way of living. I know that I have always preferred living in smaller spaces.

Well said!

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

I agree, well said.

Perhaps it's a Millennial thing.

http://thegbrief.com...ier-housing-618

What you give up in sq. ft. you gain in freedom.

It gives you more time/money to do the things you really value in life.

#20 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

But, at the end of the day, they are an upscale, trendy, custom built mobile home.  Yes, they may be somewhat more mobile than what we traditionally have come to think of mobile/manufactured homes, but you would still need some sort of utility hook up.  Not much different than travel trailers depicted in "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez,  Maybe more upscaled and hipsterized to keep up with Facebook and the latest TV shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users