- - - - -

Firestone airbags and daystar cradles?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

I recently put firestone airbags on my '06 Tundra DC to help carry the camper. On road they do fine as the Eagle isn't all that heavy. Loaded down 25 psi in the bags works well.

My concern is off road or even FS roads. I have the Daystar cradles. But I haven't installed them yet. When I installed the bags I did it exactly as the directions said but the alignment between the airbag and the lower mount isn't perfect. Maybe 1/8" + off. Is this an issue with the cradles?

I've read what I could find here but it was mostly folks having trouble with busted mounts because of not having cradles.

So is anyone here running the cradles? How have they worked out? Things to be aware of?

006%20Small_zpss3zu84ey.jpg

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

Joining in on post to get more info too. I have the Daystar cradles installed. Installed at the recommendation of a friend. I have a Superduty 4x4 and it seems to be a bit higher lift than the non 4x4. The reasoning for my install was for droop. I wanted cradles just in case axle drops low. The bag can release rather than pull I don't want them to tear. That said I'm not sure I have drooped either side low enough to worry? I figure for the price I'd rather be safe than sorry.

FYI, I added the on-board controller and pump... really helps when traveling from washboard roads to pavement and also for leveling at camp.

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

I have daystar cradles, like XJINTX I installed them to make sure the airbags don't get damaged when the axels droop.    Super easy to install, but no way to know if they are really working or not.   I also have an ARB on board compressor and a gauge and toggle valve for each bag so I can adjust and compensate for small leaks, which are almost inevitable with air bags. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

That's what I have mine for as well. Just driving on my property can get the truck crossed up a bit. I have a trip coming up and don't want to have to worry about ripping a bag on FS roads.

Thanks.

#5 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

I installed Daystar cradles on my Tundra with AirLift bags after I pulled the thread inserts out of the top of one bag during the first off road trip. So far the cradles have worked as intended. The only downside, and this may be specific to my application, is that since my bump stops are inside the air bags, and the cradle is about an inch thick, I now hit the bump stops far more often. It makes for a jarring ride some times, especially noticeable around town over speed bumps, to where I am thinking of coming up with a better solution.

This won't be an issue with Firestone bags that don't have a bump stop.

#6 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

I installed Daystar cradles on my Tundra with AirLift bags after I pulled the thread inserts out of the top of one bag during the first off road trip. So far the cradles have worked as intended. The only downside, and this may be specific to my application, is that since my bump stops are inside the air bags, and the cradle is about an inch thick, I now hit the bump stops far more often. It makes for a jarring ride some times, especially noticeable around town over speed bumps, to where I am thinking of coming up with a better solution.

Pulling the thread inserts doesn't sound good. I just received a set of AirLift bags ( Ultimate 5000 w/ internal jounce) for my '14 F150 4wd. I called AirLift to ask about this , simply how much is the suspension travel limited to with the use of those bags, he said my truck generally has about 9 inches of travel, but only 4 inches with the air bags the thread insert will fail. If I put the truck on a lift, gentle impact, they will fail in a couple hours. He also told me Daystar cradles are not recommended because they may not align properly after the hole or obstacle. I am anxious to hear how you solve this little glitch. Or not so little as it sounds. :) there are deeper potholes on my city streets.

Replacement air bag is 142 $, plus shipping from AirLift, cheaper from an online vendor he said....

Edited by Rockcod, 10 January 2017 - 12:21 AM.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#7 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

This is Airlifts recommend fix. Or similar. Opinions ? Seems to take the "all terrain" right out of the pop up.

http://www.4wheelpar...s=101&t_pt=4145

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#8 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

Yeah I was disappointed that the bags failed on the first trip. They really are a solid improvement to the stability on and off road with the camper on my truck, and I'm happy enough with how the Daystar cradles are holding up so far. They've been on the truck for ~6k miles now, never had a bag fail to re-seat correctly and there's no visible wear on the bags.

I suspect Firestone bags will limit suspension travel just the same, they're just built a bit sturdier than AirLift with metal end caps.

There are options for true long travel airbags, if I continue to have issues I may research this more.

http://www.carlisusp...velairbags.html

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

I now have the Daystar airbag cradles installed. Normally the airbags are secured at both top and bottom. But the airbags don't have near the travel as the rear suspension. If the axle droops it can tear the bags or bend mounts.

With the truck frame on blocks I lowered the axle enough to do the work. Clearly shows the gap and the axle is NOT at full droop. Spring side bracket removed in this pic.
002%20Small_zps0cwsvzat.jpg

The cradles catch and hold the airbag in a cup.
003%20Small_zps8ftwaaab.jpg

Contact!. I raised the axle a little and added a little air to the bags to get everything touching and lined up before tightening up the lower mount.
004%20Small_zpsuogymihr.jpg

I took it for a test ride with an empty truck and my normal empty setting of 6psi in the bags. Everything seemed fine and quiet. Today the camper goes back in the truck! :D

#10 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

Thank you for the 6000 mile test report. that is good enough for me. I have the Ultimate 5000 Airlift, they just showed up a week ago, i will u turn them, and the wireless compressor thing. Firestones, FS-2525 for the F150, Daystar cradles on there way as soon as the Airlifts are gone. mostly because the firestone bags are steel and there is no internal jounce plus i didnt open the box. How many first mistake can i make ? hopefully fewer every day :) I never liked the idea of a compressor that had a single duty, but it sure sounds cool though. I will order up  a multi purpose compressor, portable or otw. Very little space under the hood of a F150.

Thank you Moto Dave 

Rock.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users