• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#11 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

I now have the Daystar airbag cradles installed. Normally the airbags are secured at both top and bottom. But the airbags don't have near the travel as the rear suspension. If the axle droops it can tear the bags or bend mounts.

With the truck frame on blocks I lowered the axle enough to do the work. Clearly shows the gap and the axle is NOT at full droop. Spring side bracket removed in this pic.
002%20Small_zps0cwsvzat.jpg

The cradles catch and hold the airbag in a cup.
003%20Small_zps8ftwaaab.jpg

Contact!. I raised the axle a little and added a little air to the bags to get everything touching and lined up before tightening up the lower mount.
004%20Small_zpsuogymihr.jpg

I took it for a test ride with an empty truck and my normal empty setting of 6psi in the bags. Everything seemed fine and quiet. Today the camper goes back in the truck! :D

Squatch, thank you for the scientific approach, pictures and sound methodology. helped me. I did a lot of web surfing shortly after Airlift support told me max 4 inches of abrupt  suspension travel or death to bags. I found a long thread from 09 to mid 2016 on a Tundra sight somewhere on earth. after i sorted out the posts, the unanimous conclusion was positive. and I priced a spare bag at 120 $ now on to the little compressor search. thanks again for the good pictures.    

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#12 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

You're welcome. It's one of the reasons I document stuff and take pics. I too get tired of the internet BS. Way too many folks acting like experts that have never touched a wrench. Gets folks in trouble sometimes. You have to sort the good info from the bad.

Not saying I'm right and that my solutions work for everyone. But I do realize that often I'm willing to dig into stuff others might not. So I try to post pics, show what I did, give my impressions. Then let other folks use that info how they will. Ultimately only you can decide what works best for you.

#13 TwoPlusLu

TwoPlusLu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVing

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

You're welcome. It's one of the reasons I document stuff and take pics. I too get tired of the internet BS. Way too many folks acting like experts that have never touched a wrench. Gets folks in trouble sometimes. You have to sort the good info from the bad.

Not saying I'm right and that my solutions work for everyone. But I do realize that often I'm willing to dig into stuff others might not. So I try to post pics, show what I did, give my impressions. Then let other folks use that info how they will. Ultimately only you can decide what works best for you.

Squatch ,

How are the cradles and Firestone bags working now that you have the Eagle on your truck? We have a 2003 tundra with Eagle mounted (and will not be removing for at least 1-2 years) and have the Firestone air bags. Once the air bags went on it was a real game changer for handling and ride height, very happy with them. The cradles were not even on our radar. I do not plan to do any high speed off roading, but will be taking our rig far off the beaten path. Do you recommend the cradles? They don't seem very expensive or difficult to install.
Thanks!

2017 Toyota Tundra, 2013 Escape 5.0 (formerly 2010 FWC Eagle)

http://www.twopluslu.com

https://www.instagram.com/twopluslu/

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

So far so good. I just did 400 miles or so over the weekend on a trip. Just road mileage really. No off roading. But all seemed fine. I didn't really notice any difference at all and I was towing a small trailer as well.

039%20Small_zpspmdzmzh4.jpg

Installation is easy. Remove the bottom bolt of the air bag and replace it with the cradle. A word of warning though. The cradles are generic. I had to replace the bolt that came with them with a shorter grade 8 bolt to make it mount up correctly.

Edited by Squatch, 23 January 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#15 TwoPlusLu

TwoPlusLu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

OK, thanks very much for the information, really like your set up, did you ever do a build thread on your platform needed for the larger bed of the 4 door 1st gen tundra? Really like those trucks.
Thanks and happy camping!

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Platform is on page 5 of my camper build thread in my signature.

Also here:

http://www.wanderthe...r-risers/page-3

Edited by Squatch, 23 January 2017 - 07:46 PM.

#17 TwoPlusLu

TwoPlusLu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Great, thanks!

#18 Bluedog

Bluedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

I am running the Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles on my Tundra/Grandby. I removed my overload springs and replaced them with the Icon three leaf mini packs. I am very happy with the ride.

#19 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

I am running the Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles on my Tundra/Grandby. I removed my overload springs and replaced them with the Icon three leaf mini packs. I am very happy with the ride.

Did you guys use Daystar part # KU09140BK ? From what the Daystar page suggest I tend to think it is the only product for this application

Thanks

Edited by Rockcod, 26 January 2017 - 08:01 PM.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#20 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

I called them that's the only part they make for this application. Amazing, a small degree of self suffiency on my part.

Back to the originally scheduled program .....

Rock.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users