- - - - -

Firestone airbags and daystar cradles?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Not much to it. The bags are similar in design. Different brackets for different trucks. The cradles simply replace the lower mounting bolt on the bags. One size fits all.

#22 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

Squatch,

I already asked on another topic before finding this thread.  What is your feedback on the daystar cradles after more use?  Have you had any instances of the bags not re-centering or anything like that?

Thanks!

Jim

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#23 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Mostly street use since I installed them. But can't say I even think about them or the air bags unless I'm checking air pressure.

#24 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

I was having a difficult time understanding what the purpose of theses cradles were and did some googling and I now believe I understand their intended purpose. But I also found this:

http://www.truckspri...te-air-bag-kits

Thought everyone should at least be aware of this if they already have or are considering installing these.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#25 elmo_4_vt

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Hmmm... Thanks for the link.  This is the first I'd heard of that.  I wonder if is out of abundance of caution on the part of Firestone, or if it's the result of issues they've seen.  May need to call Firestone, but I doubt they will give much additional information.

Don

-

#26 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Figures they wouldn't warranty their bags when installed in a way they didn't design them for. Also they have a point that the Daystar cradle takes up about an inch of height, and could potentially lead to the bags being compressed more than designed to. Then again Firestone air bags don't include a bump stop, and in some applications require removal of the bump stop to install them.

I notice that with the airlift bags with internal bump stop, I feel the truck hitting the bumps more often since I installed the cradles.

I've got about 10k miles and one decent off road trip on them now, no sign of wear on the airbags and I've never had one fail to seat correctly.

#27 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

We're running the AirLift bags with the internal jounce stops also. I ordered and installed the Daystar cradles at the same time as the airbags.

I've had my truck twisted up multiple times, to the extent a front wheel comes off the ground in California, Utah, and Baja, and haven't had any trouble with the airbag/cradle setup. They always center right back up and the extra height hasn't been an issue for us. It doesn't seem to bottom out ever. Even over the damn Mexican topes.

We don't have the fancy compressor system with the valves and switches and all. I just use our onboard ViAir compressor to fill the bags, using the same hose/nozzle I use to air up the tires.

I mounted the fill valves inside the fuel door, right next to the air chuck so filling and making adjustments is a breeze.

I'm sure the Firestone warning is just a "lawyers made us do it" kinda thing. They're just limiting liability.

DSC01455.jpg DSC01457.jpg DSC02911.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#28 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

I'm sure the Firestone warning is just a "lawyers made us do it" kinda thing. They're just limiting liability.

I'm wondering if Firestone warrants their bags for much of anything.  It seems to me that they could claim that most any bag failure is due to not using the bag as intended.  I ran the Firestone ride-rites on my old Tundra for 10 years, and always worried that when in for service the truck would be put on a lift and the air bags damaged.  

I never had a problem other than a slow leak in one so that I had to add air every two or three days.

I mostly drove the truck without the camper and I did notice that the unloaded ride was detrimentally affected with the ride-rites.  I'm thinking that the Daystar cradles would help out in that respect since the bags aren't in contact with the springs when not aired up.

The ATC Panther is due in June so I have a little time to mull this all over in preparation.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#29 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Actually Firestone recommends that you always have a little air in the bags. When my truck is empty I run 5psi in the bags. Even with the cradles on the bags are always in contact unless the truck is lifted by the frame or twisted up.

The bags work. But they are not without their idiosyncrasies. They do have a certain harshness to them under certain conditions.

I personally would rather have steel springs that are made for the weight I'm carrying. With shocks to match the springs. I'll probably do that eventually. in the meantime the air bags work. 

#30 SeatoSea

SeatoSea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Some folks have mentioned limit straps and pressure down to 5 lbs before lifting. I'm at about 20k miles on a F150 2015 FX, including the Trans-Lab hiway. Truck has 18" e tire, light weight aluminum wheels & heavy shock, all of which slow down a quick drop, but I watch closely (nervous nelly) when the shop raises the truck. I spoke with firestone and they had no comment on adding the straps.And as stated in a previous post, they lawyer up( I haven't done it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users