• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#11 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

If you camp in the cold I wouldn't reccomend permanently installed memory foam - it will be as hard as a board in the cold.   You will eventually warm up a soft spot with body heat, but if you move around you hit the hard bits again. 

I'm thinking about cutting mine down the middle and installing 2" memory foam on top of factory foam .... then have an upholstery shop sew in some black vinyl to make up the height difference. This will allow me to install a short 16" high "wall" down the middle (stored under mattress when not in use), front to rear. I'm weird about anyone other than a woman sleeping so close to me. :wacko:

Anyone sleep front to rear in their side dinette Hawk? I haven't done it yet.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#12 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

I like the mattress in my 2014 Eagle better than the one on my bed at home.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#13 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

I spent a lot of money trying different mattress configuration in my '99 Eagle.  For a few years now I've used the Thermarest mattresses from REI same as Squatch.  They've been the best solution. Not as convenient as the original design but the adjustable firmness is great.  The spacer blocks on the sides to keep them together is a great idea. 

#14 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

We simply added a 2" memory foam ventilated topper purchased at WalMart to the top of the factory mattress/pads.  We use a fitted sheet over the foam and pads.

Made a HUGE difference in getting a good night's sleep!  Like Charlie, I now sleep much better in my Hawk then in bed at home!  Must be the fresh air!

Edited by Advmoto18, 10 January 2017 - 11:07 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#15 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

If you camp in the cold I wouldn't reccomend permanently installed memory foam - it will be as hard as a board in the cold.   You will eventually warm up a soft spot with body heat, but if you move around you hit the hard bits again. 

X2

I have a Temperpedic memory foam mattress and pillows at home which are great. I made the mistake of taking the pillow on a late season hunting trip and that thing was no better than a using rock for a pillow.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#16 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

I re-did my lower cushions with new Fabric and foam. Went from 4 inches factory that was 20 years old to IDL 34 and decron wrapped so I had almost 7inches. Much better then my mattress in my house now. Total project for foam and fabric was around 350.00. I sleep on the L-shape couch as its several inches longer and much more comfortable then the cab over bed. My 6 year old sleeps in the cab over and loves the "Top Bunk". I'll post a few pictures below. Full right up is in my signature in my grandby upgrades.

Edited by 97grandby, 10 January 2017 - 11:44 PM.

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#17 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

I re-did my lower cushions with new Fabric and foam. Went from 4 inches factory that was 20 years old to IDL 34 and decron wrapped so I had almost 7inches. Much better then my mattress in my house now. Total project for foam and fabric was around 350.00. I sleep on the L-shape couch as its several inches longer and much more comfortable then the cab over bed. My 6 year old sleeps in the cab over and loves the "Top Bunk". I'll post a few pictures below. Full right up is in my signature in my grandby upgrades.

here are the photos. ImageUploadedByWander The West1484091912.975247.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1484091945.783881.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1484091963.873522.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#18 park

park

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationWickenburg, Arizona

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

I really wish that FWC made the top bunk area a little deeper in height so a larger mattress could be put up there.  I personally like the way Hallmark has their upper area set up with storage underneath the bed.  Love my FWC but there are always some areas to make improvements.  Lots of good ideas posted on here so if the IKEA mod doesn't work out I'll have some other ideas.  

Blogsite:  http://www.nowhereto...ur.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchings

Instagram Account @parkkitchings

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

We've used a 4" memory foam topper on top of the brick mattress. It helped some. But really just added squishy foam to the brick. The extra height ate up the limited headroom up there as well. Made it much harder to climb in and out of bed.

#20 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

We've used a 4" memory foam topper on top of the brick mattress. It helped some. But really just added squishy foam to the brick. The extra height ate up the limited headroom up there as well. Made it much harder to climb in and out of bed.

That was what I did. I like it better than it was but I miss the extra room. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mattress, FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users