17 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_F

Matt_F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

Traveling from Maryland to California, Oregon, Washington, possibly visiting a friend in Montana as well as some more states with my dog in a few days. Any tips, advice, places to camp, hike, check out would be awesome! I have a mini wood stove in the back of my truck that run out the side window so i'm not worried about the cold

Thanks!

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

There are lots of places to suggest but this time of the year we are having a lot of rain/snow.

The desert spots would be good this time of year. The temps aren't hot and fewer people.Death Valley is always a great spot.

The northern tier of Yellowstone is open year round but might be problematic to get there.

The campground at Mammoth Springs is open,you would have to get there through the Gardner entrance.

The coastal spots of Ca. Or.Wa. have been hit pretty hard with the latest storms so check about open camps.

Make sure you have tire chains some states require them even with 4x4.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Matt_F

Matt_F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Right on thanks! Chains are the only thing I don't have, I have no experience with them, I'll probably end up buying some on the road

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:38 AM

Right on thanks! Chains are the only thing I don't have, I have no experience with them, I'll probably end up buying some on the road

Matt, my recommendation is to buy them at home, and learn how to put them on before needing them. If chains are required, and you don't have them on, you can be ticketed if you're caught driving. If you're involved in an accident, it goes down hill in a hurry.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Matt_F

Matt_F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

Matt, my recommendation is to buy them at home, and learn how to put them on before needing them. If chains are required, and you don't have them on, you can be ticketed if you're caught driving. If you're involved in an accident, it goes down hill in a hurry.

Good call, I guess i'll get on that. Better safe than sorry

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Hi Matt

Where are you in Maryland ?...our home state for a while....Beltsville.

We moved to Oregon in 99 and have made the crossing many many many times.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider crossing the upper midwest at this time of year unless you only need to get somewhere.

There are so very many places you will miss.

There is so much potential of being tied to the Interstate and unending drudgery of endless truckstops....waking up at 14 degrees inside our van comes to mind.

Even crossing the southern tier of states is going to subject you to some high elevations and potential mighty rough weather.

Of course you may be seeking that sort of thing.

Travel safe.

DavidGraves

north Oregon coast

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

The Palouse in Washington should be really pretty if they have some snow on the ground. If you are going to travel the coast I like it better going north to south since all the pullouts are on the right. CA and OR have some really nice state parks as well.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#8 Matt_F

Matt_F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi Matt

Where are you in Maryland ?...our home state for a while....Beltsville.

We moved to Oregon in 99 and have made the crossing many many many times.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider crossing the upper midwest at this time of year unless you only need to get somewhere.

There are so very many places you will miss.

There is so much potential of being tied to the Interstate and unending drudgery of endless truckstops....waking up at 14 degrees inside our van comes to mind.

Even crossing the southern tier of states is going to subject you to some high elevations and potential mighty rough weather.

Of course you may be seeking that sort of thing.

Travel safe.

DavidGraves

north Oregon coast

I'm in the Ocean City area, I loved Oregon when I visited a couple years ago. Thanks for the advice! I love some wild weather conditions though haha 

#9 Matt_F

Matt_F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

The Palouse in Washington should be really pretty if they have some snow on the ground. If you are going to travel the coast I like it better going north to south since all the pullouts are on the right. CA and OR have some really nice state parks as well.

Thanks! The plan is go south then up through central California, Oregon, Washington then jet over to Montana to see a friend then head back west to the Washington coast and drive that all the way down to San Diego

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

On the way to southern CA I like to visit Big Bend, White Sands, then go across NM and see the VLA near Soccoro and hit the Mojave and Joshua tree before heading north.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users