8 replies to this topic

#1 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

I totally HATE having to deal with a cell phone when I'm camping but it's family stuff.  

Can anyone tell me, please, if there is cellphone reception at Furnace Creek CG in Death Valley?  I've got a Wilson booster for what it's worth.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

When we were in DVNP in Feb/Mar 2015, there was reliable cell service in Furnace Creek. Not so much elsewhere.

A notification in the Mesquite Springs Campground (MSCG) near Scotty's Castle stated where cell service was available. We also were occasionally surprised to have a text come through.

Mesquite Springs notification said:
1. Cell service available 25 miles north of campground along Scotty's Castle Road east of Bonnie Claire Dry Lakebed five miles south of intersection with US 95
2. 28 miles south of MSCG at rest area, 1.5 miles north of Route 190 intersection but can be busy as it uses distant Furnace Creek tower
3. Furnace Creek 50 miles south of MSCG near main visitor center
4. Campground hosts have Park radio & can summon emergency help

Get yourself a Garmin/Delorme inReach Explorer and you can send/receive texts anywhere. I bought one after my DVNP trip due to DVNP experience. First place I had been where I was without cell service and also unable to make contact via ham radio gear I had along.

Paul

gallery_5568_886_178647.jpg

Edited by PaulT, 12 January 2017 - 08:22 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Liz, you're fine at Furnace Creek. I suspect your booster will help in a few areas where there is weak service. What I noted was not being able to use the Internet via the cell phone. Xantera Concessionaire facilities have internet services for a fee, and if it's been restored, the DVNHA folks may have Internet at the visitors center when it is open.

As mentioned above, an InReach unit will allow you to send/receive messages.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,336 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

If we need to use the cell phone, we plan a stop at Furnace Creek.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Thanks, folks.  Not worried about missing out on internet for a few days (although road and weather reports can be good things to access), but with a 101-year-old mom I need to be contactable when I'm camped.   

Not sure of travel plans.  I'd thought I was going to put in some days at Bodega Bay just after the new year, but my mom's roof sprang a leak :-P  and it took until two days ago to get it fixed.  And the weather has been such that camping wouldn't be a lot of fun.

I've now got a caregiver book for next week, and had thought Bodega but it looks like the weather window may slam shut again.  So maybe this is the time for a look at the desert.  I couldn't do the kind of stuff the Ski3s do, in the time I've got, but I could at least get a look.

Hmmmm.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,336 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Close to Furnace Creek - short hikes into Golden Canyon, Natural Bridge. Take some time at Zabriskie Point. Harmony Borax Works is close as is drive to and walk along Salt Creek. Badwater - just to say you visited the lowest spot. Take some time at the visitor center, it's worth it. You can also do the 20 mule team drive and also Mustard Canyon. A bit further - near Stovepipe - is Mosaic Canyon. Walk through the first narrows. Incredible place. So much to do! You can use this map to orient yourself. Campgrounds near Furnace Creek are Texas Springs, Furnace Creek, and Sunset. Sunset is the large parking lot handy for the large RV crowd. Furnace Creek and Texas Springs has running water and flush toilets, no showers. You can pay for a shower at the Furnace Creek Resort in the office. Shower is back by the pool.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Sunset also has running water and flush toilets.   There are three dump stations in the Sunset/Texas Springs area as well.   The fee for the shower buys you time in the pool as well.

Except when we have a nearby jerk with a loud generator, Diana and I really like Sunset.  Even though it's just a glorified parking lot, it's kinda fun.    You meet everyone from full timers in truck campers, to folks with $500,000 motorhomes.   Most of the folks are pretty doggone down to earth as well.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Believe or not, but I've gotten cell phone reception at Tea Kettle Junction on Verizon. Move a 100-feet and it's gone.

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 12 January 2017 - 08:37 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

I had reception in Saline, for about five seconds! I know what you mean about being a caregiver. Luckily my brother lives nearby and we can usually coordinate and make sure we don't both head out on the same weekend.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users