• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Janet H

Janet H

• Adminstrators
  • 467 posts
  • LocationEastern WA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

Recently there have been a few newsworthy and popular topics that have been closed because of rancor caused by members with minority dissenting views.  These topics began as discussions about land-use issues, advocacy, stewardship and associated regulatory issues.  These topics wandered off the trail and were filled with posts by folks taking personal swipes and posts that were charged with political opinion.  In the future, as an alternative to closing these threads, the site team will actively remove comments that are deemed disruptive, obnoxious or trolly. The site rules are specific about this type of trolling. Members who author these comments may also, find their accounts restricted.

Our community is widely diverse and members hold varying political views. The key to retaining good discussions in the advocacy forum is the tone of the post.  Collegial discussion free from rancor, personal attacks, name calling and insults is possible but demands self control from posters.   We ask that you meet this standard if you are going to post here.

Here is a link to our site rules - the short version is "be nice, be respectful, be helpful"  but here's the full version: http://www.wanderthe...x.php/siterules

This is the metric by which the site team manages posting and account concerns.  Here are some pertinent parts for those considering posting in the advocacy are or the board:

• Do not engage in personal attacks.  Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.  Be careful with sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, and anger. Offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political ideology and national origin, are not acceptable.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment.  Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
  • Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
  • Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material or use the discussion thread to comment on moderator actions.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

The site team are volunteers and work to keep discussions on track and useful - you can help.  If someone disagrees with you, do not argue endlessly  - make your point and let it go. If a moderator contacts you about a problem post or thread, know that it's not personal - they are simply trying to maintain order.  if you see an emerging problem use the report post function to flag down a moderator but don't take it upon yourself to confront the problem poster - it only escalates situations.

Problem posts will be removed and members notified but if repeated problems exist, threads may be closed and eventually account restriction may be set in place.  It's our hope that addressing these issues head-on will be enough to return civility to this section of the forum.  Thanks for understanding.

#2 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:01 AM

Hi Jane H

You mention sarcasm and belligerence, but humor is also path that often doesn't work well in this e-type communication.  Unless the person is a very good writer or the idea extremely simple, it goes awry and is misunderstood causing ill-feelings or anger.  I've had enough attempts go flat or caustic that I pretty much quit trying to be funny in email or electronic communications.

And in my heart of hearts I believe humor is one of the best ways to reach people or make a point.

Thanks

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:03 PM

Just got my latest issue of the "Public Lands Monitor-newsletter for retired BLM and those interested in Public Lands. Some interesting info stuff came from an interview with the "Acting BLM Diretcor (one of the many "Actings" in this admin) especially concerning the supposed  DOI reorganization ( the Sec Interior and certain Utah Pol's plan to move everyone to the west w/o any input from DOI/congress, etc., and other interested parties-part of the plan calls for the loss of 5000 positions over time and a very large new office in Utah. Lot's of noise against this already started by many groups and even some in congress. 

This is the first interaction with any former BLM group with experience in these things, and this seems odd go me -I know I have been through several of them in the past. Seems like  with the "Zinster" gone now and a new Demo house, the hope is this plan well suffer the fate of the many other "like "plans" in the past and be forgotten but with this admin nothing is certain anymore!  Some talk on ANWR too-thought the plan for for just a few coastal acres to be impacted now it seems like in the new Draft  EIS  the best plan for protection calls is for "only" 60% of it to be impacted. We got to keep watching for  these  so-called  new plans for our Public Lands -protected or not- because the use and protection of our Public Lands is on the line.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users