Recently there have been a few newsworthy and popular topics that have been closed because of rancor caused by members with minority dissenting views. These topics began as discussions about land-use issues, advocacy, stewardship and associated regulatory issues. These topics wandered off the trail and were filled with posts by folks taking personal swipes and posts that were charged with political opinion. In the future, as an alternative to closing these threads, the site team will actively remove comments that are deemed disruptive, obnoxious or trolly. The site rules are specific about this type of trolling. Members who author these comments may also, find their accounts restricted.
Our community is widely diverse and members hold varying political views. The key to retaining good discussions in the advocacy forum is the tone of the post. Collegial discussion free from rancor, personal attacks, name calling and insults is possible but demands self control from posters. We ask that you meet this standard if you are going to post here.
Here is a link to our site rules - the short version is "be nice, be respectful, be helpful" but here's the full version: http://www.wanderthe...x.php/siterules
This is the metric by which the site team manages posting and account concerns. Here are some pertinent parts for those considering posting in the advocacy are or the board:
- Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Be careful with sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, and anger. Offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political ideology and national origin, are not acceptable.
- Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
- Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
- Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
- Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material or use the discussion thread to comment on moderator actions.
- We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
The site team are volunteers and work to keep discussions on track and useful - you can help. If someone disagrees with you, do not argue endlessly - make your point and let it go. If a moderator contacts you about a problem post or thread, know that it's not personal - they are simply trying to maintain order. if you see an emerging problem use the report post function to flag down a moderator but don't take it upon yourself to confront the problem poster - it only escalates situations.
Problem posts will be removed and members notified but if repeated problems exist, threads may be closed and eventually account restriction may be set in place. It's our hope that addressing these issues head-on will be enough to return civility to this section of the forum. Thanks for understanding.