• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AMY1975

AMY1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first time on wander the west and I can't believe I just found out about it! My husband and I spend up to 9 mo a year in our Eagle FWC. We have it on a 2014 tacoma. It is not the TRD. We will be using it for desert work this spring and will be required to drive on all kinds of sandy, gnarly roads. So far we have put the Helwig spring pack on our truck that I guess is sort of made for our truck to specifically carry a FWC. Anyway, we need to upgrade our shocks from the stock toyota shocks that are still on it. Our camper lives on our truck 100% of the time so I don't think we need airbags...Any advice on which shocks are the best or anything else we should do to our suspension to get it ready for a long work season in the desert would be SO appreciated! We also have E grade tires already...Thanks so much!

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

I would suggest air bags if you carry a lot of weight. Helps even the load. If your camper stays on all the time you don't need adjustable shocks... so for a nice ride and good support the Bilstein 5100 would be a good shock. I would suggest getting MaxTracs to get you out of a bad sand situation. A high lift jack helps too. otherwise (I have an Eagle 2011 and it was at first on my 2001 Tacoma) you are good to go.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 AMY1975

AMY1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the info! What are MaxTracs? We just got off the phone with a 4x4 guy and he said he wouldn't recommend taking our truck and camper off road. Huh. He said it will put too much stress on the frame and the chassis? Any words on this? 

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

You might add a spring too.  Contact Boise Spring works and they can help.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD and do not have any exact mileage, but probably have put 11,000-12,000 miles of off road and logging road on it with a fully decked out Fleet camper with no problems and certainly some on here have more miles than that on rougher roads.  I take my camper off for the winter so have air bags and not springs upgrade.  I had a previous Tacoma that I hauled way more weight in wood than the camper on some very rough trails where my winch got a lot of use.  This truck had many upgrades to the suspension and braking, but without any problems with the frame at all.  I think there are four weaknesses in hauling the camper with a Tacoma -and any of us that have one know we push against the GVW Toyota recommends with a FWC.  Those are the stock tires, stock shocks, stock springs, and stock brakes.  Those are not cheaply, but easily upgraded to E rated tires, 5100’s or adjustable shocks, custom spring set or air bag or both, and slotted brakes or Tundra brakes.  I have heard good things about the MaxTracs for desert use.  Here in Oregon I tend to use a winch more because there are almost always trees around.  If you go off road much you will discover that airing up and down your tires makes a substantial difference in ride comfort and traction which means a quality compressor either portable or built in.  And I love my air bags for ease of leveling both side to side and front to back with changes in weight as passenger weight changes, gas and water go down on the trip or sit on slightly uneven camp site with my 3 way fridge.  I had bags on my previous truck and it did improve the ride some even with the spring upgrade.

#6 AMY1975

AMY1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

Awesome! thanks so much!

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

I had a 2001 tacoma and yes you can take them off road (no arial jumps!) ...You need a support of the frame ...airbags help. Good shocks help the hits...but an added leaf in the leaf spring pack adds weight capacity for the axil. I feel your frame should be fine. One must drive with caution and sense. Max Tracs are found on google... they are "sand mats" to lay down under the wheels when you are stuck in sand i.e. desert.  A tire compressor is also a good idea if you are in the boonies of the desert ....airing down tires gives you better traction in loose roadway material.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:02 AM

We have airbags on Daystar cradles and really like them a lot. They are similar to your added spring, but they let us adjust them as the weight of the load changes (water/fuel weight) or with road conditions. They also let us level our truck out in camp, which is a definite bonus.

I'll throw in another vote for MaxxTracks, they're awesome.

Heres a video of us driving right out of the hole I dug in the sand with our pair.. 

https://youtu.be/yANCehtIfMw

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B01ACMCUGM

We have a winch and never use it because the MaxTrax are easier and safer.. 

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

My own recommendation is Bilstein dampers as I have had excellent results using them exploring and chasing desert racers, though some use Old Man Emu with success.

Lowering the tire pressure even just 10 psi can make a big difference on washboard. Which there is a lot of in the West. You'll want a way to re-inflate your tires when you get to pavement. Search here and other forums and I think you'll find that the MV-50 compressor, and it's various similarly labeled cousins, are one of the best bangs for the buck. The weakness' of these are known, and the fixes well documented.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I drive a 2015 Taco with ATC Bobcat camper.  Replacing the leaf springs (EMU dakar springs) was the most important addition since the Taco leaf springs are soft.  This drastically reduced the sway and bounce due to the camper weight.  I added Bilstein 5100 shocks to lift the front to accommodate the lift in the rear due to the new leaf springs.  Well worth the expense.  I also have airbags and daystar cradles.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shocks, leaf springs, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users