Leak

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

I live in Northern California and it is raining like it hasn't for 10 years. Big storms and big winds. Good for the aquifers, reservoirs, farmers and duck hunters. Me and my trusty Hawk have been out at length through every storm looking for tasty little critters to fill the freezer. While camping and sleeping through rains, no problems. I am high and dry. The Hawk lives on the truck, is parked outdoors and does not leak when the top is down and it is parked. But when driving I am leaking.

I have a front dinette model. I am finding water in the floor cabinet, right hand side just inside the door. The three cabinets above it are bone dry. The propane cabinet sits just above the floor cabinet but it too is dry.
Anybody run into this problem? Thoughts on where to look? I am baffled.

Second leak shows up at the front sliding window. A lot of water is getting inside; soaking cushions and filling under seat cabinet with a good amount of water. I have found the threads about weep hole leaks and plugs. Haven't called factory repair department yet to discuss. I am wondering if that will fix the problem. Other possible causes? Doesn't plugging a weep hole defeat the purpose of a weep hole?

I know there are lots of PNW owners out there who experience big rains every winter. I am hoping to get some feedback from those folks or anybody for that matter who has solved a similar problem.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

I, also, have a 2014 Hawk with front dinette and sliding front window that lives outside on my truck and I live in PNW. There are floor vents/drains in the propane and fridge compartments that drain to the outside.

Haven't seen any leaks so far but will be following your travails with much interest.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Our first camper had a front slider. When driving in rain the water would build up in the window frame and leak inside. Never found a good solution - just left a large towel rolled up under the window to collect the water before it wet the rest of the camper. Haven't noticed the same problem with our 2014 Hawk.

The door window on both campers have leaked. I removed the window and reset it with silicone around both sides of the frame. That helped.

When we run the heater on cold weather trips condensation builds up on the windows, canvas, and ceiling. It is worse in high humidity, such as a rainy day. Enough so that occasionally water will gather on the floor or in the bed area. Not sure if anything can be done about this. It is just the nature of the beast with our campers.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.  Rear door window was removed and caulked from a leak.  That is taken care of.  Checked both side windows for leaks and nothing there.  Very aware of condensation issues.  Always wipe down liner and ceiling before buttoning up.  Never had all that much condensation since I don't run the heater when sleeping and tend to use stove only for making coffee when out this time of year.  The puddles of water are definitely from a leak somewhere. To PaulT-do you get any leaks when driving in the rain?  I get no leaks when parked (top up or down).  The water only shows up after driving.  Saturday night camping was 30 to 40 mph winds and lots of rain-I was dry.  Left top up all day while out hunting and no water until I drove home in the rain last night.

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have had no leaks while moving in rain. Just drove 120 miles in rain this weekend. Went out and checked the spots you mentioned with no leaks. Sure hope you find the problem soon. Water can cause damage quickly.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

I have a 2016 Fleet with the sliding front window. Leaks like a sieve when driving in the rain, just like yours. I called the factory this fall and they said there was no fix and offered to replace the window with a fixed pane for free. They no longer offer the slider. 

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

They no longer offer the slider.

That's a huge disappointment to a lot of people. Perhaps they will pick up another manufacturer down the road.

#8 whwv

whwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

I have a 2016 Fleet with the sliding front window. Leaks like a sieve when driving in the rain, just like yours. I called the factory this fall and they said there was no fix and offered to replace the window with a fixed pane for free. They no longer offer the slider. 

Heard the same thing.  There were problems with the front slider and it's not an option any more.

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

'15 Hawk with front dinette and sliding window.  Window has leaked several times while driving through heavy rain like you are now experiencing.  Likewise, never figured out a solution;  I simply place a towel on the ledge in an attempt to soak up water that does intrude.

Is the freezer full of tasty critters?  I'm partial to water fowl, but when it rains as hard as it is out there, ducks don't even want to fly.

I can understand why it's not an option due to the leaks.

The ONLY reason I ordered my Hawk with a slider...

I have a slider on the back truck window as well.  I figured if I was camping and Griz came along and got nasty, I could simply slide thought the openings and drive away.  So far, I haven't met Griz, so the extra money spent on the leaky window has been good insurance. :D I guess :blink:

Edited by Advmoto18, 24 January 2017 - 01:22 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

What about a boot around the window when driving in the rain?  This one is a Truk-Boot.

CAMPER_BOOT_010-M.jpg

The larger size is 24x16 inches...

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users