Leak

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Thanks CamperCamper for starting this discussion-this has been bugging me.  I have a leaking slider on my 2015 Hawk-the dinette cushions get wet when driving through hard rain. Luckily this has only happened once so far.   Does anyone know if the leak is from the perimeter frame or the sliding glass where the two haves meet or overlap the fixed glass panels?  

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

WARNING - A silly wild a$$ guess is eminent: :)
I wonder if the leak is where the two halves meet and camper flex from road motion allows a gap to open enough from rain to enter due to the wind. If so, a possible solution may be to ensure the slider is closed and centered, then spread a thin film of RTV over the crack on the outside where the halves meet to see if that reduces or eliminates the leak. If it does, you could fashion a shield of thin metal or plastic tape glued to one side of the window such that the tape shield overlaps the joint to reduce rain being forced into the gap by air pressure.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Jimjxsn, I suspect that the Truk Boot would not work. Even if it would span the gap between camper and truck, I suspect it would not conform to all of the small angles and gaps on the two different sized windows. And I suspect it would partially deflate during the rapid temperature drop during a big thunderstorm. However, if my window had a minor leak, I would probably try this. My window leaks whenever I'm driving in the rain, commensurate with how hard it's raining--a little bit in light rain and a lot in heavy rain. Even if it worked, I suspect that fiddling with this would be a PITA, especially on a day of multiple thunderstorms or frequent rain showers.

PaulT, you are partly right, but the problem is not a poor seal between the two sliding windows, at least in my case.

In my case, the window leaks in various places where the gasket contacts the sliding window frames and glass. Poorly matched and mitered corner gaskets are one source; there are small gaps where the vertical and horizontal pieces don't quite meet. However, the biggest leak source appears to be the upper and lower horizontal gaskets that span the window opening and within which both windows slide. This single piece gasket has to seal the two glass windows and the doubled up frame where the two windows meet in the middle when closed. The gasket can't do this because the glass is inset relative to the frames, creating a small gap in each corner where the gasket transitions from the glass to the frame. And lastly, If this weren't bad enough, applying moderate finger tip pressure to one or both sliding windows creates additional gaps.

Getting caught in a big thunderstorm rain-wind event, even driving at 40- 45 mph, is roughly equivalent to turning a fire hose on your window. I don't think there's an easy DIY fix, but if there is, I'm all ears.

I'm having mine replaced with a fixed window by my FWC dealer.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#14 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Thanks CamperCamper for starting this discussion-this has been bugging me.  I have a leaking slider on my 2015 Hawk-the dinette cushions get wet when driving through hard rain. Luckily this has only happened once so far.   Does anyone know if the leak is from the perimeter frame or the sliding glass where the two haves meet or overlap the fixed glass panels?  

I talked with some folks at FWC yesterday and here is my best understanding of the conversation: The sliding windows leak.  The window manufacturer fashioned a plug for the weep holes as this is where the rain was getting driven inside.  Then the sides of the windows leaked with the weep holes plugged.  The sliding window option has been discontinued.  I can replace the window with a non-operable window or live with the problem.  Some folks want the sliding window leak or no leak as it can be used as an escape hatch.  I am in the no sliding window camp.  I would rather try to kick out the window if that was my only option of escape and not have to worry about constant vigilance from an active water leak when driving in hard rains.  Alas, I have a sliding window for now.  Sounds like a personal choice solution to me.  I am still scratching my head over the water in the back cabinet.  Maybe I just left the door open for too long in the driving rain (and 40 mph winds) rainstorm as I was heading out and gathering up my hunting gear last week end.  That water is a one time event.  I think I will leave the window alone and let the next owner decide which window they prefer.  I will be selling this unit when my new flat bed Hawk comes in.

#15 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Is the freezer full of tasty critters?  I'm partial to water fowl, but when it rains as hard as it is out there, ducks don't even want to fly.

It is not as full as past seasons and I am sure there are not enough to get me through the summer.  But we sure had fun trying.  It has been a tough season.  It was beach weather up north in Canada clear into December this year so the birds migrated very, very late, then the torrential rains started and came pretty much non stop.  As you mentioned, the birds won't move in really stormy weather.  I hunt with my two grown sons and a day in the blind with them is far more precious to me than any tasty critter ever could be!

#16 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

I just returned from a wet trip with camper (2015), rear door window is leaking. So, just take apart from inside and reseal? Any recommendations on type of caulking and will it be pretty self explanatory once I pull the cover?

Edited by Jollyrogers, 26 January 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#17 jccat

jccat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

My Fleet's rear door also leaks. I sealed the inner and outer frame with marine silicone, but I've still got many water marks on the inside of the door, which with last night's freezing temps, froze the door shut with me inside...I had to run the furnace for about a half hour to get out. I guess it's time to pull the window and load the thing up with silicone.

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Posting this for those with leaking sliding windows. Look at this months Truck Camper Magazines Mod Contest #7.  Looks like a simple fix to the problem.

I voted for this one. See below:

Our new camper has a front window behind the cab of the truck.  The window is a standard Hehr window with weep holes at the bottom of the frame.

weep-holes-let-rain-inside-camper.jpg

When we drive down the highway in a heavy rain, the weep holes let the rain water into the camper.  The RV stores have a plastic cover that will keep out some of the water, but a simple piece of tape over the holes will (a) let condensation water drip out and (B) keep the driving rain out.

weep-cover-truck-camper.jpg

I used Gorilla tape, but duct tape should also work.  I cut a piece of tape three inches long and cut notches out of tape 1¼-inch long by ⅜-inch wide as shown in the picture.

weep-cover-2.jpg

I folded the small end where it will keep the tape from sticking to the frame of the window.  When I applied the tape to the window frame I kept the center away from the frame to form a channel for the water to drip out.

weep-cover-4.jpg

Make sure that the sticky part is applied above the weep hole so the hole is not sealed. The tape channel is long enough to keep the driving rain out of the camper.

After the mod, there are no rain leaks.  It works great!

It took me half an hour to complete this modification and cost me a few cents.  In my opinion, the skill level of this modification is easy.

#19 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

The slider is useless. The side window in the side dinette and roll over couch configuration already has an emergency window. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#20 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

My rear door window also has been leaking. I picked up clear silicone for windows. When I pulled inside frame, I found a very poor sealant application that appears to have been also to adhere the glass. The door core of expanded polystyrene was wet in 2 locations and brown from dirt washing in. I cleaned the window, and tried to get a wet towel down to remove dirt without popping the glass. Once dry I applied silicone to my finger and applied the sealant along the bottom the glass which forced it up between the glass and outside plastic frame. I also added a lot of sealant at each bottom corner. Keeping my fingers crossed. That polystyrene will soak up water and add weight to the camper. Everyone might want to pull the inside frame. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users