• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Here are two more articles just out in the news: https://www.washingt...=.34a36dbe16c4.

https://www.nytimes....C3572EA&gwt=pay

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#82 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

The Secretary of the Interior proposes a 95% shrinkage of Bears Ear. His recommendation to the president. Scaled back to 5% means mostly eliminating it.... it is like Walden Pond in a highway cloverleaf... its there but it's really gone.

https://www.nytimes....-ears.html?_r=0

Henry David Thoreau

#83 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

And he basically didn't even give the supporters a voice.

http://www.patagonia...-of-wilderness/

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#84 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

While this is definitely terrible news - I am not sure the 5% number is really accurate.    The proposed new boundaries will be released later this year, and then the law suits start.     This also sets a pretty scary precedent for the next 26 monuments.    

While I appreciate all the people who submitted comments, clearly they had little impact in the decision.   By the analysis I read, the comments were between 90 - 99% in favor of keeping Bears Ears as is.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#85 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

A bit of a shock for sure...I was hoping he would be more forthright, certainly the number of voices in favor far outweighed the special interest votes .... but no sure it is a "one person, one vote" system. The 5% was quoted from the article... but we can hope the gears will move slowly on this.

Edited by buckland, 13 June 2017 - 03:59 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#86 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Yep-round one to the bad guys in our race to reclaim the glories and smoky skylines of the 19th Century. I had hoped for more from the Sec/Interior.  This process will still take a long time to complete-if it ever does reach a conclusion-so we still need to keep writing those letters and making those phone calls-even if it seems the process is against us.  Lot's of law suits on this horizon!

On a further unfortunate  note and a back up for the above action, read that the Interior Dept had just suspended all  public land resource advisory .committees, until next Oct-it seems that they need to be retained in the wisdom  of our great leader and the career folks are in open revolt over the new directive.  For those that don't know about them , each  management area/organization, like a BLM District/NPS park, FWS District, ect. has a civilian advisory board made up of local interests (used to be called the grazing AB) to help the gov't  manage each area and supposed to be the major reason behind the NM debate-more local input.  Without them, there will be no ongoing  public input into local  land management decisions and  to me seems anyway, to be against  the major tenants of stated Public Land laws and acts that I was trained to use! Not sure how this affects the public meetings  process they use as part of the regular LUMP,s. Hopefully some group or another will sue Interior over this.. Have not heard if this directive has been given to the USFS yet!  Rule from the top not from "we the people."

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#87 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

It's important to remember there are always a few battles lost before the war is won. Each overreach and misstep will just further mobilize the defenders of our public lands and our strength and opposition will grow.

Smoke, thanks for the heads up on the Interior Department Resource Advisory Committees. I have a couple of friends who serve on USFS RACs. I'll see if they have wind of something blowing this way from the higher ups in DC.

I served  2 terms (six years) on the Recreation Resource Advisory Committee for the California region covering most federal agencies - USFS, BLM, USF&W. The oversight these committees give is incredibly valuable. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#88 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

This is going to be interesting for sure and the lawsuits will certainly be filed.  Zinkes statement says that there were 76,000 and change comments files but because of the use of aggregators by Patagonia, SUWA and others we know that the true number was well over a million and that the comments were running over 80% in favor of keeping Bears Ears as is.

The legal decisions that come out of this could end up setting public land policy for a long time to come.  

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#89 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

The Secretary of the Interior proposes a 95% shrinkage of Bears Ear. His recommendation to the president. Scaled back to 5% means mostly eliminating it.... it is like Walden Pond in a highway cloverleaf... its there but it's really gone.

https://www.nytimes....-ears.html?_r=0

Like over a million other citizens, I registered my comments with the Dept of the Interior.  Zinke has disrespected the wishes of the American people for short sighted greed and vindictiveness against the previous administration.  It's sad to see America's Best Ideas under constant attack.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BLM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users