• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

There is currently a bill in the Utah House that wants to ask Congress to reduce the size of GSENM by 50% http://le.utah.gov/~...tic/HCR012.html.  It doesn't hold any power overall but this is the kind of thing that is making the outdoor industry consider moving their Outdoor Retailer trade shows out of SLC.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Cayuse,very interesting.We have got to keep these creeps from stealing our

public lands.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

It seems like Utah is kind of at the epicenter of all these moves.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:28 AM

I am afraid there are some very dark times ahead for those of us who love our public lands. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:02 AM

More about  pulling out of the Outdoor Retailer show. 

http://www.usatoday....attle/97634322/

Edited by Captm, 09 February 2017 - 05:07 AM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have plans to visit Utah again this spring like I do every year but this time I'll stock up out of state so I spend as little as possible while I'm there. Maybe just a burger or two at Milt's Stop and Eat.  ;) 

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

I'd rather see them keep the show in Utah and use it to build local political will in the state to protect their public lands. Utah is such an amazing place- a poster child for public lands. Like so many things, people don't appreciate what they have until they lose it.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

I'd rather see them keep the show in Utah and use it to build local political will in the state to protect their public lands. Utah is such an amazing place- a poster child for public lands. Like so many things, people don't appreciate what they have until they lose it.

I'm of the opinion that the only ambassador that Utah political leaders will receive is the Dollar Bill, or rather the lack of it. I don't believe being nice is going to get their attention.

I love Utah and Utahans, but I'm not going to reward behavior that takes from the all of the nation.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

The OR show isn't what it used to be.  Most of the larger companies are showing their lines to key accounts well in advance of the show, in fact pre-season orders are frequently due to these companies before the show dates for best pricing.  Where the show is important is for smaller companies that are trying to get their name out and gain traction in the market and for smaller shops that may not be visited by the sales reps before the show.

I think that you will see several other large companies boycott the show, Kuhl and Black Diamond will probably announce soon.  I wouldn't be surprised to see many others either scale back their footprint or withdraw altogether because it has become a very expensive endeavor compared to what it was 25-30 years ago when the show was in Reno.

More important will be if companies like Black Diamond, Petzl, backcountry.com and others who are currently headquartered in Utah decide to move out of state and take those revenues/jobs with them.

It will be interesting to watch and see what the industry does but I think the show itself should move from SLC even if it is only a symbolic gesture of solidarity.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

"The American people own these lands—and Utah reaps the rewards. Every year, outdoor recreation in Utah drives $12 billion in consumer spending and supports 122,000 jobs across the state."

The Outdoor Industry Loves Utah; Does Utah Love the Outdoor Industry?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users