• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:41 AM

Just picked up an old Granby, and it needs a complete rebuild. Floor pack, vinyl and interior. I only paid $400 for it, so I hope I come out alright. The exterior skin is fair to good condition, so I'm not doing anything with it. The floor pack would need a lot of work anyhow because it's too wide for my 2016 Silverado.Gotta narrow it down to about 58"s. My first question is removing the old vinyl. Looks like I need to take the trim off the roof and also the body of the camper, is that right? There's no lift panels, I guess they rotted and the previous owner tossed them.  I found a lot of info here, http://www.wanderthe...d-granby-build/  For an alternative to the factory lift panels and making new vinyl panels. At present it's dang cold here in PA, so I won't be doing much building, just doing the demo. I have the interior out and some of the paneling. If anybody has some more links to 4 wheel camper rebuilding, I'd appreciate them!  

Here's some pictures from the seller.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 wheel camper 6.jpg
  • 4 wheel camper 11.jpg
  • 4 wheel camper 5.jpg

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hello shellback
There are some really neat threads on others rebuilding their campers. Looking forward to your progress.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

This lift panel replacement thread includes links to several rebuild threads.

Hope to see lots of photos of your build!

- Old Crow

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

This lift panel replacement thread includes links to several rebuild threads.

Hope to see lots of photos of your build!

- Old Crow

I probably breezed by your neck of the woods picking up the camper. I live in Wagontown,Chester county, off Rt 340 in Amish country. I picked the camper up in Connellsville out near Pittsburgh. 

#5 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

A couple of the mods I'm planning is doing away with the propane cabinet and gaining more storage inside the camper. I'll just be using a counter top propane stove, so no need for the big tank. I see they sell small 10# tanks, and I might hang one of those under the rear wing if need be. The second mod is to build a narrower door,  present one is shot anyhow . I want to pick up some room on the rear passenger side for a designated porta potty. My present camper has that and it's great for the wife. No need to drag one out when you need it. Sure wish it was warmer weather!

#6 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

One of the best rebuild threads is "New Build-1981 Grandby to become a Hawk!" (sorry I don't know how to make that a link). I have used this thread as my reference on my build.

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

I probably breezed by your neck of the woods picking up the camper. I live in Wagontown,Chester county, off Rt 340 in Amish country. I picked the camper up in Connellsville out near Pittsburgh. 

Yeah, you would have passed nearby when you crossed the Susquehanna.  I see you're not far from Main Line Overland's shop.  That may come in handy to get an eyeball on current FWC technology... things like tie-down brackets, light fixtures, battery compartment, mattress firmness, etc.  Maybe you'll even want to trade in your Grandby for a Woolrich Limited Edition one.  :)  

One of the best rebuild threads is "New Build-1981 Grandby to become a Hawk!" (sorry I don't know how to make that a link). I have used this thread as my reference on my build.

Boonie, you can copy the URL address of the thread you want to link to (from the top of it's page) right into your post.  If you just copy-and-paste, it will look like this:

http://www.wanderthe...-become-a-hawk/

The other thing you can do is type a word or phrase, highlight the word or phase with your cursor, then click on the link button (that chain-link icon under the Size arrow at the top of your editing window). That will open a small window.  Paste the URL address of the thread you want to link to in there.  That method will underline and change the color of the word or phrase to blue, indicating it's a link.  Sample link.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Shellback,welcome to WTW.

While you are into a massive rebuild have you given any thought to re-building the cab-over into an extended one?

Having that extra room up front is nice and not having the bed extend into the "living" space all the time helps.

Keep posting your work.

Frank

I am also a Pa. person.

Grew up in Willow Grove not far from your area.Though I haven't lived there for over 50 years.

Don't miss the winters.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

Shellback,welcome to WTW.

While you are into a massive rebuild have you given any thought to re-building the cab-over into an extended one?

Having that extra room up front is nice and not having the bed extend into the "living" space all the time helps.

Keep posting your work.

Frank

I am also a Pa. person.

Grew up in Willow Grove not far from your area.Though I haven't lived there for over 50 years.

Don't miss the winters.

Life is a Lark at Willow Grove Park! I guess you might remember that commercial. The park has been long gone, I think there is a mall there now. I hear you about the winters, I froze my butt off Sat doing some demo on the camper.

I'm hoping the wife and I can both sleep on the first floor, so I haven't given any thought to extending the cab-over. The way the camper was laid out, I think she can sleep east west against the cab, and I can sleep north south along the passenger side wall. I'd like to avoid sleeping up top if I can. Climbing down to pee in the middle of the night at 69 y/o, is no fun!  

#10 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have the interior and all paneling removed at present. I need to build the complete floor pack, but I don't have a heated shop to glue stuff up or treat the wood with epoxy for protection. So that's on hold for a bit. I need to get the roof off and get the vinyl removed and see about making a new one. With the roof off I'll drop the old floor pack and get the aluminum frame to a welder to make the mods necessary to narrow the floor pack from the widest point of 64"s to 58"s.  I'm also going to narrow the door to about 26"s. The door is shot and I get get my son to build a new one for me. He's the shop manager at a commercial glass business and doesn't see any problem building one.I have a plan for a porta potty in the passenger rear corner and need the extra width there. The smaller door will help out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users