• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

well, yesterday was the best weather we seen in a few weeks thanks to so cal rain this year. so before I tore into some pacificos and bbq I decided to relocate my noco ac port to the rear of camper outside. so I can lock up the camper while being plugged into the noco dual bank charger. I originally installed it in the little box compartment inside where I installed the 12v and usb ports. but I did not like leaving the door open for 8 to 10 hours. its amazing how many layers are on these campers. ans how well built they are.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

Good job tree.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Congratulations.  Kind of scary when you first start drilling big holes.  Chris

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#4 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

ya, it freaked me out at first. but I researched the heck out of that location. and test drilled. I knew the wiring went the other direction. just didn't want to drill though a piece of frame. it looks ugly in the pics. but after the sealant dried it looks fine. and works great. im glad I did it.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

That looks like a NOCO 15 amp port.  Don't most FWC come with a 30 amp port?  I'm looking at the Marinco ones... yike$$$$

#6 BrianW

BrianW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Vic,
I am planning a Marino 30 amp (I have one in the "archives" anyway) The way they mount from the outside requires some sort of box or surround that attaches to something solid (frame or brackets to cabinet?) A faceplate with appropriate hole attached to the box and against the inside of the aluminum skin for an attach point that is solid.

I would certainly be interested in any ideas or how you manage if you do go the Marino route. Btw, Defender Indusries in the states has some of the best prices for marine stuff I have seen. Service and shipping first rate as well. No affiliation with them but have bought quite a bit of stuff for boats there. Might be worth a look.

cheers

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

Vic,
I am planning a Marino 30 amp (I have one in the "archives" anyway) The way they mount from the outside requires some sort of box or surround that attaches to something solid (frame or brackets to cabinet?) A faceplate with appropriate hole attached to the box and against the inside of the aluminum skin for an attach point that is solid.

I would certainly be interested in any ideas or how you manage if you do go the Marino route. Btw, Defender Indusries in the states has some of the best prices for marine stuff I have seen. Service and shipping first rate as well. No affiliation with them but have bought quite a bit of stuff for boats there. Might be worth a look.

cheers

This is the one I am looking at.  It just requires a round hole and 4 screws.  Ideally into something more than thin sheet metal.

http://www.defender....290039&id=52601

Still over $80 USD, even on sale.  

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

This is the one I am looking at.  It just requires a round hole and 4 screws.  Ideally into something more than thin sheet metal.

http://www.defender....290039&id=52601

Still over $80 USD, even on sale.  

Stainless is nice but you have an aluminum camper. I purchased mine from FWC when I did my build. 30 amp twist lock, plastic and can be bought under $20.00    I located my hole where the heater vent was, I moved the heater. For the heater I build a frame of 1" sq alum tube, secured everything with pop rivets. 

power+plug.jpg

This is the bracket I made for my water fill, same idea. Do not have a pic of the heater bracket I made.

bracket.jpg

#9 BrianW

BrianW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Tree,

I realized after posting that I had hi-jacked your install thread. My apologies for that. How thick was the wall of the camper where you installed your AC port? (It's not obvious from the pic but that is on the rear wall, yes?)
My plan is for the side wall, driver's side. Theory being a nice bright yellow cable sticking out on that side would be visible getting behind the wheel or in the mirror and make it a little more difficult to drive away while plugged in. Just a theory......
I am for the moment trying to not tear the interior out any more than I have to. Would rather not pull the liner out on that side to install the port. Takes some nerve to drill a hole that size thru the unknown - nice job you did there!

Vic,
Yeah the stainless is $$$$. I have a plastic one so that will do. I like the fact that the marine receptacles are completely water tight even plugged in. A little peace of mind I guess. And yes, the issue with those is getting a solid backing immediately behind the aluminum skin to attach to....

cheers

#10 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Tree,

I realized after posting that I had hi-jacked your install thread. My apologies for that. How thick was the wall of the camper where you installed your AC port? (It's not obvious from the pic but that is on the rear wall, yes?)
My plan is for the side wall, driver's side. Theory being a nice bright yellow cable sticking out on that side would be visible getting behind the wheel or in the mirror and make it a little more difficult to drive away while plugged in. Just a theory......
I am for the moment trying to not tear the interior out any more than I have to. Would rather not pull the liner out on that side to install the port. Takes some nerve to drill a hole that size thru the unknown - nice job you did there!

Vic,
Yeah the stainless is $$$$. I have a plastic one so that will do. I like the fact that the marine receptacles are completely water tight even plugged in. A little peace of mind I guess. And yes, the issue with those is getting a solid backing immediately behind the aluminum skin to attach to....

cheers

no worries,  thread is for info.  its at least 2 inch total.  i can take better pics.  my hawk shell did not come with ac port.  a palomino i looked at did in the same price range.  but i was dead set on FWC.  the port works great. amp is fine.  i only have a noco charger plugged into it.  nothing else. zamp inverter does the other jobs. i miss my honda 2000 genny.  but dont need it yet with noco and solar.   but at least with an external ac port now i can run a generator at night if needed for heater ect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users