63 replies to this topic

#21 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

Thanks! This was taken at the little pupfish pond near the campgrounds at Anza Borrego State Park. It's a Leaf-nosed Bat.

A few years back I had an opportunity to observe Michael Durham, an Oregon based photographer, photograph several species at a small water source in Central Oregon. He used a number of proximity sensors to trigger the camera and flashes, tethered to a MacBook. There was an audience of youngsters from the Sunriver area that were in awe (as was I) of nature at night.

Here's a link to one of his galleries... http://durmphoto.pho...0006zdyaPf_DsA/

You two should meet...

I am haunted by waters

#22 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

Pretty neat. I do something similar, but no computer. Thanks for showing me his work.

#23 slimboy51

slimboy51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationyuma,az

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

Now that you have it installed , how does it work? Is it large enough to give decent shade ?

#24 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Actually, I was a little surprised at how big it is.  It provides a lot of shade.  I don't know if I would keep it up if there were high winds in the forecast though.  Just not sure yet.  I'll take some photos of it set up next time I have it out.

#25 slimboy51

slimboy51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationyuma,az

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

I look forward to your pictures.

#26 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

We just got back from 3 months in Baja where we had our Batwing Awning deployed almost the whole time while camped.  We use long metal stakes to stake it down with nylon cords and "S" hooks.  The manufacture tells you to fold it up if there is any wind, but we found it was not problem when properly staked down.  The only times we folded it up were when very high winds were forcast.  

We also used 4' x 8' nylon tarps hooked on to the ends of the Batwing rafters to control any undercutting of sunlight.  The tarps have loops sewn on at 2' spacing and it turned out that it is exactly 6' between the ends of the rafters.  The design of the Batwing has a metal rivet on the end of the rafter which worked out perfectly to hook the tarps to.  I would let the tarps flap in the breeze, or stake down 1 corner loosely with a cord so it didn't flap too high.  I could move the easily as necessary as the sun moved.  The "S" hooks are left over from all those rotten rubber bungees I have used on previous trips.  

We got lots of comments about out Batwing.  Did I mention that it doesn't have plastic parts (hinges) to break like my Fiamma F45.

#27 slimboy51

slimboy51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationyuma,az

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

Do you have any pictures ?

#28 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'm going out tonight just for the evening. I'll take some photos.

#29 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

^^ I absolutely love the bat photo shot, and smile at the irony of the thread about a batwing awning. Terrible would describe my skills with a camera, the photography I see throughout this forum have few rivals, imho, thanks for that.

Edited by Rockcod, 16 April 2017 - 03:31 AM.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#30 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

I did a quick trip out to Blair Valley last night. Here are a couple of shots with the awning set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1688.JPG
  • IMG_1687.JPG

Edited by cvant, 16 April 2017 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users