• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Just received a propane campfire from www.quikfire.com seems to be a well made unit and the legs fold in making it more compact for transport than other alternatives out there.

I've also confirmed that propane campfires of this type are OK for both the White Rim and Tuweep, both are upcoming trips and having something I could use while out there was key.  Had they said no I probably would've skipped buying one.

It seems to put out a moderate amount of heat and the flame will go higher than in these pics.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#2 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Have you seen the grill that is made for it? Website mentions it once but no pics or prices. I'd be interested in how this unit performs after you have used it. Any provisions for using 1# canisters ?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

Have you seen the grill that is made for it? Website mentions it once but no pics or prices. I'd be interested in how this unit performs after you have used it. Any provisions for using 1# canisters ?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I had asked about the grill and they said to just use a folding leg grill that will clear the pan.  Not sure that I want to grill over it anyways so that wasn't a concern for me.

On ExPo there is some discussion about using a manifold that allows for two 1# canisters to be connected and then run together but there is an issue with freezing due to the volume that goes through if using a single canister, I suppose if you wanted to experiment you could try a steak saver type connector.  I already owned an 11# tank for camp kitchens so I'll just use that.

Will definitely post more once it has gotten some real world use, look for something after I go play in the desert late March/early April.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

Cayuse I hope you enjoy it an get a lot of use out of it.

Does anyone have tricks and tips to share to get more realistic flames.

I rented one from a campground last year and the flame was pretty boring.

I know with a gas fireplaces there are things you can add to make the flames look awesome.

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

s-l1600.jpg

This is the kind of stuff I was describing.

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Think I saw this over on expo too. Let us know what you think of it. Looks lightweight. I'd like to have something to use such as this and not haul the firewood tote.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:59 PM

I'm interested in the quikfire but not sure if the legs fold in and how compact it will be and how sturdy the firepan is. The website doesn't show too much detail. I'm looking for something lightweight and compatible. I've consider the ammo box fire pits and saw this one http://tacticoolfirepits.com which seems like a good value compared to building one for about $60. I saw a $200 lava box in action this weekend and was impressed with the flame height. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users