- - - - -

Loo questions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

We've been using a "Lugable Loo" for a while in the camper. Or as I like to call it the human litter box.

Normally line with a trash bag and use some unscented Kitty litter. I works but can build some smell on occasion.

I was reading today in a magazine about a homemade composting toilet in a hunting cabin. He uses sawdust to cover the waste. Said it breaks down chemically some of what causes the smell.

This got me thinking. I can probably come up with reasonable quantities of saw dust.

Has anyone used this instead of kitty litter in a bucket? It's pretty absorbent and works well in horse stalls.

It should also be a bit lighter to carry in the camper than kitty litter.

I'll probably try it soon. In the meantime does anyone have any feedback?

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Funny you should ask. I am building a cabin that will have a non pit out house, a composting one. (Swedish).  I have a friend close by that runs a farm school camp and he has four of them. I copied his design. It is basically as you stated: using sawdust to cover each time. The secret of zero oder is not the sawdust. It is the seat. Looks regular but it's design keeps the solids separate from the liquids. That's where the oder comes in. I think the picture explains the method. It is especially easy to use for women. Men need to be a bit more diligent. In the out house there is a separate urinal for the guys but the seat would work as well when seated. The liquid is channeled by a hose to a small bucket mostly air tight (you can use a food scrap compost bin charcoal filter $3 as a vent). The solids fall into a Home depot bin that when full is changed out and flipped upside down. It stays there for 2 years and then it can be tilled into the ground as composted wood dust and waste. Even the urine can be mixed 10:1 in a rain barrel and used as nitrogen after a year. 

All that said it is definitely doable in a camper. I include a photo of the seat as well as the outhouse. I have a marine toilet now but I have plans to make a composting separated setup. Much easier to maintain and empty.

Attached Thumbnails

• Privy_with_Toile_4ea85f2d0f431.jpg
  • IMG_4723.jpg
  • IMG_4727.jpg

Edited by buckland, 20 March 2017 - 11:33 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

I have researched composting toilets for our camper but have no experience.  Short term composting, 1-2 weeks, just reduces or eliminates odors and the product should be buried as if it were regular solid waste, 6-8 inches deep.  True composting takes a month or more after the last fresh "deposit" depending on the temperature, warmer is faster.  Low odor rapid composting requires air to mix with the solids and urine kept out of the compost mix.  Lack of air slows the process and increases odor and air is usually added with an exhaust fan which creates a vacuum to suck air into the mix and requires mixing daily.  Urine also slows down the process and increases odor because less air hits the solids when they are soaked.  The experts say no urine in the mix and the mix should be damp.  Saw dust is too dense for composting (not enough air in the mix) and peat moss is an example of a fluffy medium.  Wood shavings might work.   I am not an expert, this is just a summary of my research on true "composting".  

I suppose saw dust could have odor reducing properties like charcoal filters where odor chemicals attach to the saw dust and so less odor.

Edited by iowahiker, 20 March 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

A great resource book on composting is:

The Humanure Handbook: a Guide to Composting Human Manure, Third Edition

and also the 

Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of Using Urine to Grow Plants

The seat shown in the photos is shown at link below:    There is also a great camping versions well (if one built a box in the corner of camper with a lid it would work)

https://separett-usa...camping-toilets

When I said sawdust, certainly not the sander dust variety. I have my planer, jointer and lathe on a 'dust collection system" .it is mostly chips which are great composting material (never use black walnut). 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.00.42 AM.png

Edited by buckland, 20 March 2017 - 01:01 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Maybe I should have been clearer. I'm not living on the road in my camper. Composting toilets are great. But they are a long term answer. I have a short term need. I was just thinking that Sawdust might be a better medium for the Bucket than kitty litter. Especially cedar. Typically the bucket will be used for no more than a few days at a time them the contents discarded.

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Bingo... yes wood chips not sanding dust work great. That new camper bag seat keeps the liquids and solids separate. no stinkum. 

Cedar if you have it... expensive where I hale from. 

Henry David Thoreau

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

An acquaintance of ours, Fred, a former USDiplomat who has traveled extensively swears by his composting toilet in his Tiger.
There is an extensive discussion on Expo about it. His moniker is Diplostrat..

http://forum.expedit...pic-of-toilets-)?highlight=Diplo

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 September 2022 - 06:10 PM

So ....... "Bottom line" ....... should one use kitty litter in a wag bag? or use sand/dirt? 

Henry David Thoreau

#9 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 01 September 2022 - 06:22 PM

Wag bags have the crystals that absorb any liquid. No need for chips, dirt or sand as theses are good for 1 or two uses then discarded. I use a Natures Head composting toilet in my cabin up north works great! Has a small squirrel fan that runs on 12v to exhaust it. I use coconut coir and the whole mess just smells like dirt. 

As mentioned, the true secret is to separate the liquids from the solids.

Wag bags in the camper for when we really need to go now!

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 September 2022 - 06:31 PM

I agree I have a separator setup in the outhouse for our cabin as well and on the road have similar portable separator seat. (See above photos) Not sure the wag bags I bought have crystals but in the out house we just use a plastic box and use wood sawdust from my shop. on the road looking for a smell and coverage material.

Edited by buckland, 01 September 2022 - 06:32 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users