• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

2017 New season for New Owners. Many of which are new to truck camping. The following is an answer I provided on a "PM" last year:

Battery Honeymoon period
Honeymoon because my experience is battery very efficient until year 1.5 till 2 years old. Then the voltage drops by 25% just sitting.

When we owners started using compressor fridges (2011-2012) we had no idea how in-efficient they were (especially the Dometics and all front loading fridge/freezer combo units). The factory specs don't give you "running amps" just average maintaining amps. Your fridge published specs show it using 3.75 amps per hour. The actual usage of the Dometic 65L is 4.5 - 5 amps when cycling. So how can a fridge twice the size draw less?? Answer: it can't.

Four Wheel has replaced the Dometics with "ISOTHERM" models which are much more efficient than the Dometics.

4-Light LED monitor and your batteries

Batteries
New they easily hold 80% of the charge with alternator topping them off. After two years the ability to maintain a reserve declines and the discharge faster. We thought our single camper battery was enough to run the fridge, fan, LED lights and charge the plane batteries...and it was just barely. if we didn't run the fan too much....and we ran the engine twice a day.

Camping in one place for 2 days or more had us adding a 60 watt portable. solar panel. Producing 3.5 amps per hour just running the portable Engle fridge (1.5 amp) per hour, the lights (1-2 amp) two hours a day and charging the model airplane batteries.

We had to add a 1.25 amp charger/maintainer to run the fridge and maintain the battery the night before we left on a trip.

In the regular camper run the IOTA the night before. With two batteries you have 80 usable amps. If your average amp draw is 7 amps per hour (fridge and rest of it) you have 11-14 hours before needing to charge. (In winter depending on your Latitude you will experience over 12 hours of darkness per day.) 

Your 4-LED light battery monitor is inefficient Testing by others with a Trimetric or other battery monitor have proven the "full batteries actually only 75% full". .Overtime the percent of full on each recharge will be less. Knowing "full" voltage is not enough. You need to know amps in and out and percentage of charge.

History
Initially (2012) we all got 2 solar plugs - one on roof, one on back wall and most of us just used portable panels as panels don't work in the shade. figuring the alternator would run the fridge and charge the battery while going down the road. Problem is when your parked, engine off sight seeing, hiking away from your rig.

The absorption owners switch to propane when parked for a long time. When we park the fridges draw current from the batteries. I figured when I got to the campground (no hookups) for the evening the battery would be full. After installing the Trimetric I saw that wasn't true. Many times percentage of full was less than 90%..

What happens when the battery gets below 12 volts?
The Sure Power disconnects the truck from the camper to protect the truck battery from being discharged. The only way to get the batteries over 12 volts (connect to the alternator for charging) is through the 110 volt house current or through Solar. If you are 20 miles away or more from 110 hookup all the food in your fridge will spoil because fridge won't run if the voltage is below 12 volts.

That is the reason we all added roof solar.

Adding Solar
is easy because your camper is prewired for it standard...except the rear wall solar plug is an option. Be sure you order it. The factory installs the ZAMP system as an option.  Or "Do-It-Yourself" and save about $500.  They bolt the panel on the roof. Connect cable it to the connector. Connect other end to the solar controller. Run wire from controller to the batteries and your done. . Buy at least 150 watts for the roof. 150 watts produce 5.1 amps in the winter when the sun is low and 9.1 amps in summer when sun is high in the sky. because the panel cannot be tilted toward the sun. Monitor the amps in and out and percentage of full on Trimetric. 

The Zamp controller displays the battery voltage, what the solar is producing, and what the draw is.
(fridge, lights on, fan on etc…). It does NOT display alternator or 110 volt in. or percentage of full.

Zamp is expensive and has limitations. If you are handy with tools "You can do-it-yourself" and save $500. Our current 150 watt roof panel ($200) plus Trimetric (;$250) plus installation ($75) plus controller ($50) plus misc parts cost $600 plus my labor.

Review my post "Fleet/Eagle amateur Build".- Electrical section. I have a lot of info on my shell build that pertains to the regular camper. As a retired computer tech and retired industrial sales person, I was a sustaining resource" to my customers, I love to research and share the info.

Getting to know your camper is a process. The FWC factory folks and their very well trained dealers are a great resource for your questions. as are the contributors in Wander the West.

Happy New truck camping.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 30 June 2017 - 02:30 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:46 AM

question: are the FWC roof solar panel and portable solar panel factory connection set in parallel or serial mode?

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

On my 2014 Hawk, the roof and portable connections are in parallel. I suspect that is the FWC standard.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

On my 2014 Hawk, the roof and portable connections are in parallel. I suspect that is the FWC standard.

Paul

If that is the case, then we should use the same wattage for both the roof and portable panel (e.g 100w roof and 100w portable), right? 

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Not necessary to match wattage. I run a 100 watt factory roof panel and a portable 160 watt panel. These are both nominal 12 volt, 36 cell panels. You do need to match panel voltages. Actual panel voltages are about 18 volts.

I have also run a 100 watt portable panel before getting the 160watt unit.

Paul

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

Excellent post, Jim. Wish I had read it before ordering my two different hawks over the last five years!

X2 on just buying the factory solar and being done with it! :)

#7 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

Not necessary to match wattage. I run a 100 watt factory roof panel and a portable 160 watt panel. These are both nominal 12 volt, 36 cell panels. You do need to match panel voltages. Actual panel voltages are about 18 volts.

I have also run a 100 watt portable panel before getting the 160watt unit.

Paul:

according to this video, starting at 2:00 minute

https://youtu.be/dfMVHLVcMWo

if the two panels are mismatched in parallel mode, you only get combined 200w power instead of 260w

Edited by pollux, 26 June 2017 - 01:58 AM.

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:38 AM

His explanation should be carefully understood. His panels are 40 volt panels which work with his MPPT charge controller in series or in parallel configurations. With the factory Zamp charge controller, a PWM rather than an MPPT type, input voltage should not exceed 25 volts.

The factory panel puts out about 18 volts, so two in series would put 36 volts into the factory charge controller. 36 volts would likely have a bad effect on the controller. That eliminates using two in series.

I have occasionally seen 14 amps from my 100 watt & 160 watt panels in parallel. As the 100 watt panel typically puts out under 6 amps and I never saw more than 11 amps from two parallel 100 watt panels combined in bright sunlight at noon, I suspect my use of a 100 in parallel with a 160 watt panel is ok and that the 160 output is not lost.

Paul

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

While this is a really good write up - the one point I would debate is that having the factory install the ZAMP system (currently $995 for 160W) is the cheapest in the long run.    With the solar prewire, installing your own solar is a simple job, and a very good system (probably superior to the ZAMP system) can be had for about 1/3 the price of the factory system.   It does take a little bit of DIY/effort to install, so if your really are not handy at all buying the factory system would be worth it.   But if you are at least a little handy and enjoy tinkering installing your own system will save you a significant amount of money and you will know exactly how it works. 

On my 2016 Fleet flatbed, the roof connector and side connector are in parallel.   We regularly run a 120w portable panel in parallel with our 160W roof panel and will see up to the 15A limit on our MPPT charge controller. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

PS to add - I highly recommend the combination of a portable and fixed roof mount solar panel.    The fixed panel has the advantage of being always on - so you are charging when ever the sun is out without having to do anything.   The portable has the advantage of being able to set it out in the sun when you want to park in the shade or just extra capacity when you know you will have large loads (eg parked in Utah for a couple of days). 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users