• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Man this is sad.  I hope they catch these guys - there should be jail time for sure. 

http://www.reviewjou...ts-death-valley

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

The photos are interesting as the article mentions 2 backpackers, but the right photo shows 3 people. The backpackers look like it is the beginning of their trip.

I wish the offered reward was much, much larger.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

Bummer [emoji35]
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

So disappointing! I hope they find them...

I am haunted by waters

#5 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

I also hope that the perpetrators are discovered and convicted.

When folks think of poachers, what usually comes to mind is someone out in the field illegally taking live game. However, poaching also extends to the illegal taking of fossils. There are big bucks to be made in the sale of fossils, especially vertebrate fossils.

This type of activity has been going on all over the country (and world wide) on our protected federal and state lands for a long time and only seems to be getting worse, especially with the advent of the internet guaranteeing an easy sale. As long as there is money to be made, this reprehensible activity is going to continue to haunt us like a plague.

Rarely is this this type activity a crime of opportunity, most illegal takes are premeditated and carefully planned. These criminals are smart, knowing what to look for and where.They are stealthy and usually case the localities in great detail. Very few poachers are ever caught and convicted and when they are it's usually by dumb blind luck.

More remote cameras in the field, increased patrols, drones, etc. will help as a deterrent but that takes a greater commitment to the additional allocation of already scarce resources. In my opinion what would really help is a legitimate wholesale/retail vetting process and I hate to say (gulp!) government regulation of private party sales similar what has been done with the ivory trade.

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 29 March 2017 - 04:47 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Truly upsetting.
A public hanging is in order. Hope they are caught and punished to the full extent of the law.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Hanging?.... nah I like the stockade head and arm blocks. That way they have to be recognized for a couple weeks of public shaming and then a year of fixing trails and outhouses. Much more cost effective. ... always nice to have a newly cleaned outhouse too.

Reminds me of the idiot who pushed over the mounds in the other park and videoed himself (a cub scout "leader").

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

At least they got decent pics. Someone knows these people.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:18 AM

I agree. Those wildlife cameras are great in many ways. I always leave ours on a tree facing my house if we are gone for a long trip. I have lots of shots of the UPS guy.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Here is the NPS page on the theft -

Fossils Stolen

It does look like remote camera shots of three backpackers in the area they would like to speak with as they may have information. Notice that one man is carrying two backpacks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users