Photo

Looking at a 2005 astrovan...common problems?

chevy astrovan van camper awd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grete

grete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

sooo I'm looking at this van:

https://denver.craig...6056114952.html

Don't steal it if you're reading this!!

I have a tacoma, and I love it to death. I'm torn between finding a camper light enough and cheap enough for my taco truck, or just selling it and buying this. Can anyone tell me common problems with a 2005 astrovan? Is 230,000 miles a risk with an astrovan? I really love toyota, so I'm a bit apprehensive to go the chevy route. I know with my tacoma engine 230,000 miles would be hardly anything, but I can't say if that would hold true with the astrovan.

thanks yall!
Grete

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

I had an earlier astrovan. late 90's I think.  It was the worse vehicle I have ever had and I bought it new.  Driving it on the freeway was a white knuckle experience, enough said.

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

No van, even a very good one, is going to take you where your truck can :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 azcamper

azcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

That van looks nice in the pictures but I definitely wouldn't spend that kind of money on an Astrovan with that kind of mileage. If you are seriously interested you should post a question in  the van section of Expedition Portal. Good luck and hold out for a more reliable platform that will get you deeper into the woods!

2006 Tundra ac with 2017 Ocelot

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Had a 93, drove it for 180k+ miles, no major issues but I would be shy of one with 230k if you want reliability in the back country. Your Tacoma with some airbags and the right camper set up would be hard to beat.

#6 grete

grete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

thanks everyone!!! I appreciate the help. Gunna stick with the taco truck!

#7 yfarm

yfarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:01 AM

Had two different awd Astros, bought low miles used, drove constantly, changed oil and tires. Repairs limited to windshields, one front driveshaft and one fuel pump. There are several for sale in Arkansas and Missouri with lower miles for 2-4K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chevy, astrovan, van, camper, awd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users