#1 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

To Sagebrush et al who assisted with your comments...plus a general info on our initial experience...

Quick summary: our first 40 miles to/from the Tigard dealer to our house, we heard 2 or 3 pops each way or oil canning noises while driving at hiway speeds... when we returned to Tigard and informed Jeff, we immediately got on the phone with Roy at the factory with our concerns... after a 5 minute discussion, Roy asked if we were open to returning it to the factory for them to do a thorough "check out"... so during the next 3 weeks, (first week waiting for a return trip to factory), they spent a week examining the roof, et al, test drove it 3 times, and found no popping or roof / structural problems... returned it the next week with a factory tech, Matt, (special trip) where he spent 2 hours in Tigard helping us reload, test drive, and talk through some camper questions... we were very impressed with this level of customer service...

From my analysis during the truck's 3 week r/trip to the factory, I concluded that the original truck bedding that we installed--a close cell 1/2" foam pieces similar to used in indoor work out rooms etc.--was the culprit...we were never able to tighten down the turnbuckles totally with the foamed decking...chose this option initially as it was (1) light wt./10 #s and (2) inexpensive ($30 for the pieces to fit a 4x6 bed )...so we replaced this with 2 - 3x4-1/4 inch thick rubber mats that I "sewed together" using my 100lb sturgeon fishing leader (will never come apart)...wt. of the 2 pieces of 1/4" @ 18#s... cost $40 @ Home Depot...advice to other "newbies" USE A HARD RUBBER MAT ON YOUR TRUCK BED...

So after the 2nd loading, we have driven about 100 miles using the camper for 3 nights... there has been "no popping" noises...the new hard rubber bedding appears to have solved the problem... hooray!!! and the the factory folks didn't bat an eye at there efforts even tho it was probably "our bad" using the foam bedding on our first try...great folks!

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

That is very interesting, I would never have thought that would have been the problem, glad it wasn't the roof. Had me worried.  Ron

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the update. I would not have suspected something like the surface on which it sat as the culprit. I'm glad things worked out for you!

I am haunted by waters

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

Does seem like a strange source to cause the roof "oil canning", but glad it has taken care of the problem.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:43 AM

Just to clarify...what I believe was causing an "apparent" oil canning sound I believe were the turnbuckles "clanking" as the camper was compressed on the bed at hiway speeds... as newbies, it was hard to isolate the actual location of the sounds on our first two 20 mile runs... hope this helps clarify...

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Just to clarify...what I believe was causing an "apparent" oil canning sound I believe were the turnbuckles "clanking" as the camper was compressed on the bed at hiway speeds... as newbies, it was hard to isolate the actual location of the sounds on our first two 20 mile runs... hope this helps clarify...

Yes, the Tigard crew are #1.  We picked up our Hawk Feb '16 and Jeff was very patient with all my questions!

Oh, when we bought our '16 Hawk FWC recommended against putting anything in the bed of the truck under the camper...they did recommend Rhino Liner/Line X or equivalent surfacing coating on the vehicle bed....we have RhinoLiner it protects the bed and secures [friction] the Hawk while not trapping water.

Having said that many do put mats under there campers...

Phil

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks.Don't use a mat only the factory spray on that came with the Tundra.

My turnbuckles have NEVER come loose.

I think one reason is that they are not as straight up but at an angle,since I have a Bobcat on the wider 02 Tundra.

The "eye" bolts are at least 2"wider apart each side compared to the Ranger the camper was on first.

That makes them at more of an angle.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 n2Jeepin

n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:16 AM

I bought this hoping to put under my new Hawk I get in 3 weeks. Do you think it's too thick?

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B000VU7M4Q

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

#9 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

I have had two of those same bed mats on two different trucks and two different campers starting in 1983. They work great and I have never had an issue with loose tie downs.

Edited by rotti, 04 April 2017 - 03:55 AM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#10 n2Jeepin

n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:29 AM

I have had two of those same bed mats on two different trucks and two different campers starting in 1983. They work great and I have never had an issue with loose tie downs.

Awesome, thank you rotti

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users