#11 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

We have the king bed option in our Hawk shell (with furnace, cooktop and side dinette) and would never consider NOT getting the king option.  If you don't want to pull it out to king, you don't have to. Use it as a Full not pulled out at all. Use it as a queen with two cushions. Use it as a king with all four extra cushions and sleep north/south. We sleep north/south every night we use it. It is very nice to crawl in and out without bothering the other person.

Yes it takes up a lot of room when pulled out, but I am usually the first person up, get dressed and go outside for a bit. Then my wife gets up changes and when she goes outside, I slide the bed back and organize. I'm usually done by the time she comes back (less than 4 or 5 minutes). We've also slid the bed back in with both of us in there. A bit tight, but not bad at all. Just faster and easier when one person is outside. A small inconvenience for the benefit it provides. And again, only pull it out as far as you want or need. 

Edited by Chadx, 23 September 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#12 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

I agree w. Chadx I extended my hawk bed to 78"w x 79"L but you see out all 4 windows and it's a minor annoyance to close up. The plus for me is I roll around like a kid when asleep. I used a 12"x 78" extension w/ piano hinge so it gives many combinations of extensions

#13 Sir Walter

Sir Walter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the responses folks - I'm sold!

#14 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

Jim, I'll have to check when I next pop the top (I should have measured when we were out this weekend), but it seems to me our king is longer than 75". More like 80"+. I know it's longer than the 77" width. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10" and sleeping sideways was too crowded with only 5 inches to split between headroom and footroom. The king gives us way more room. Definitely more than the 77" width measurement. How much will have to wait until next weekend but seems to be 80 - 82" or so.

Ours is a 2017 Hawk shell. Maybe different models or years are different? But then maybe not since they are simply supplying four cushions rather than two.

Edit: Since we use different foam in the camper than the stock cushions, I decided to pull out the stock cshions and measure those. Unlike Camper Rich, who reported cushion sizes of "It has a 47" x 77" cushion and four 14" x 38-1/2" cushions."
My hawk king cushions are 16" wide rather than 14" and 48" rather than 47".
16" × 38.5" (four cushions)
48" × 77"  (one main cushion)

So 48"+16"+16" = 80" long. So our king pullout is 77" wide × 80" long.

Edited by Chadx, 25 September 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#15 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

OK guys I'm old and my wife and I were not using the queen size extension for our Hawk. We just completed a 3 week trip and we did. As some have suggested it takes more space and the issue of tearing down each morning. We dealt with that BUT my wife id 5'4" and it was very difficult for her to get in and out when extended. Not much to step on ad extends over the front seat and we have side dinette. I know some are using a ladder setup and I'd like suggestions or alternatives. Sorry about post hijack :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, King Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users