Photo

wind noise while driving with truck camper?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

i'm a total newbie - actually, not even a newbie, as i don't even have a camper... but i am thinking of getting one, and have looked at pop ups, hard sides, etc.

i'm picturing driving for long distances at highway speed in a truck, and with a camper on top, is there a lot of added noise? and if so, how to mitigate that. i like peace and quiet when i'm driving, sometimes listen to books on tape, etc --- a lot or even noticeably louder noise might be pretty irksome.

thanks! some gr8 ideas in these forums, which i discovered today.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Buy a Tundra and keep windows rolled up. Very quiet. :)
Just kidding. Don't notice any noise due to camper. If any window is open, there is wind noise, of course.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

With my Tundra-Grandby combo I had a lot of wind noise from about 30-50some mph.  Put a wind deflector on the cab and voila wind noise is all but gone.  A big part of it will be dependent on the gap between the cab and the camper overhang.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have a faring on my Tacoma/Eagle and that reduced the noise but it wasn't that bad to begin with. The only time I really noticed was when I forgot to buckle to top down and then drove off.  :o

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

I have to mildly disagree with my esteemed colleagues. There is much more wind noise in a truck, compared to a passenger car, and although it can be reduced, it cannot be eliminated. Now, I have a Tacoma, perhaps those folks in a larger, better insulated Tundras do have less noise to begin with. In a car I could hardly hear the engine noise, in my truck it is inescapable.

I don't think the camper contributed too much extra noise, but it did add some. I did add a fairing/deflector which helped a bit, but I added it to reduce wind gust affects on the camper & handling, and it was successful in that.

All that said, I used to listen to audio books while traveling in my car. I simply cannot do that now. Maybe some of the issue is my advanced age and thus my hearing acuity is less than when I was younger. But when the book reader puts any character in the words and speaks a soft passage, I lose what is being said. It's just too hard to try to follow the plot.

I bought an XM satellite radio and listen to that while driving. I can enjoyably listen to classical music, even the soft passages, without issue. I can listen to talk radio (very rarely, perhaps to catch up on the news on a long trip) and hear everything that is being said clearly. I enjoy listening to baseball games on the satellite radio. I've had to give up listening to books.

Please don't be tempted to use ear buds or phones while driving. It is illegal most places because it is dangerous to cut yourself off from what is happening around you - you can't hear sirens, big trucks or fast cars overtaking you, or even engine noises that might indicate something is mechanically wrong (or coming lose on your camper.) It is easy to get lost in the world the audio book creates, don't make that worse by using head phones.

Edited by Bosque Bill, 18 April 2017 - 01:32 PM.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#6 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

Buy a Tundra and keep windows rolled up. Very quiet. :)
Just kidding. Don't notice any noise due to camper. If any window is open, there is wind noise, of course.

Paul

i'm wondering if larger trucks like tundras are inherently quieter than the little tacomas.... larger cars seem to be much quieter than smaller ones - from engine, wind, and other noise... they seem to absorb sound better, and probably are better insulated against sound, much more cush.....

Edited by doublebanzai, 18 April 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Wind noise on my 2005 Tundra and my 2002 Hawk with short cabover was unbearable. WOP-WOP LOUD.  Wind deflector made it go away. 2013 Hawk with large cabover was better. I still use the wind deflector and the Tundra is as quite as my Rav4. 

#8 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

I have to mildly disagree with my esteemed colleagues. There is much more wind noise in a truck, compared to a passenger car, and although it can be reduced, it cannot be eliminated. Now, I have a Tacoma, perhaps those folks in a larger, better insulated Tundras do have less noise to begin with. In a car I could hardly hear the engine noise, in my truck it is inescapable.

I don't think the camper contributed too much extra noise, but it did add some. I did add a fairing/deflector which helped a bit, but I added it to reduce wind gust affects on the camper & handling, and it was successful in that.

All that said, I used to listen to audio books while traveling in my car. I simply cannot do that now. Maybe some of the issue is my advanced age and thus my hearing acuity is less than when I was younger. But when the book reader puts any character in the words and speaks a soft passage, I lose what is being said. It's just too hard to try to follow the plot.

I bought an XM satellite radio and listen to that while driving. I can enjoyably listen to classical music, even the soft passages, without issue. I can listen to talk radio (very rarely, perhaps to catch up on the news on a long trip) and hear everything that is being said clearly. I enjoy listening to baseball games on the satellite radio. I've had to give up listening to books.

Please don't be tempted to use ear buds or phones while driving. It is illegal most places because it is dangerous to cut yourself off from what is happening around you - you can't hear sirens, big trucks or fast cars overtaking you, or even engine noises that might indicate something is mechanically wrong (or coming lose on your camper.) It is easy to get lost in the world the audio book creates, don't make that worse by using head phones.

I'm definitely concerned about more engine noise in a truck, than compared to my Accord (which is noisy enough...) In fact, one of the things i'll be looking for is which trucks are quieter... however, if a tacoma can handle a pop up camper, i'd prefer a smaller truck. They seem to be right on the edge of handling a loaded pop up, though... I'd consider a Tundra or truck like that, if it's quieter, but I don't think I'd like driving a larger truck...

I definitely listen to audio books when i'm going on a long trip - they are life savers. I'm older, like you, but listen almost solely to non-fiction audio books. you might try that - in terms of your hearing loss. there is much less change of voice in non-fiction.

I must apologize for using ear buds, though........... this is partly because my cd player in my car is broken, but also because of the difficulty of car noise vs hearing. Even though my hearing is slightly impaired, the drone of the engine and other car noises is draining..... 

I'm worried that I just might find the noise level of trucks, and maybe with a TC on top, too noisy....  sounds like a fairing may help....

Are diesels quieter than gas engines? I've never even ridden in a diesel car or truck......

Edited by doublebanzai, 18 April 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#9 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

well, found this on something called tundratalk.......... jeeze, maybe i'll hafta spring for a pretty new tundra... afraid of the cost of that, though... and, just not real sure i'd want a larger truck, to park, and to go off road (if i go off road....)

http://www.tundratal...in-highway.html

and then this from the ventura county star....maybe if i go this route i'll try non-fancy trim.... ?

The '16 Tacoma is much quieter and more refined inside. You'll hear the engine under moderate acceleration but, like luxury full-size pickups, most of the noise — road, wind and exhaust snarl—comes from behind. It's not sedan-quiet but noise won't be a fatiguing issue, and since the fancy trim comes with larger wheels and lower-profile tires, it feels both noisier and stiffer.

Edited by doublebanzai, 18 April 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#10 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

When we first installed our Ocelot on our 05 Tundra, we would get loud wind noise when it was windy out, while driving at highway speed. Built a wind deflector and that helped. Remounted the camper (more or less permanently) with no wind deflector but was very careful to have the camper body tight against the front box rail. Have not had wind noise issues for two years. The only difference between then and now (with no wind deflector) was making sure the camper was tight to the box rail. And there is quite a bit of room between the camper and roof of the truck. You might think about using a bluetooth speaker that is directional if you are having trouble hearing your selected noise diversion.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users