Photo

wind noise while driving with truck camper?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

My '06 Tundra is the quietest pickup I've ever owned. The combo of that and the small Eagle camper make for a very small addition to the frontal profile of the truck. Don't even notice wind noise at all till over 70 mph.

019%20Small_zps01nimt9p.jpg

The little fairing on the roof rack in this pic is no longer used.

Edited by Squatch, 18 April 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

I had a 2003 Tundra/Hawk and didn't notice any wind noise. I currently have a 2014 Tundra/Hawk and if anything it's quieter because the new Tundra is more insulated. Whenever I'm hauling kayaks there is a lot of noise but that's off topic. I drive 55mph up 75mph and all I notice is the sound of the engine. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Fresh off of 10 days in mine, this topic looms large for me. Wind noise in my setup (Ram 3500 + flatbed Hawk) is pretty substantial. Now, it's certainly not so bad that you can't enjoy a podcast, but its very noticeable.

i'm wondering if larger trucks like tundras are inherently quieter than the little tacomas.... larger cars seem to be much quieter than smaller ones - from engine, wind, and other noise... they seem to absorb sound better, and probably are better insulated against sound, much more cush.....

Maybe. Hard for me to compare. I think the larger frontal area of the flatbed model + higher mounting may be contributing factors for me. If I built over again I'd pay more attention to the height of the flatbed and try to find one that resulted in a few inches lower overall height.

Are diesels quieter than gas engines? I've never even ridden in a diesel car or truck......

Nope. But the wind noise is far more bothersome than the soothing growl of the engine.

#14 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've been driving my F-150/Granby combo year round for almost 12 years now, usually with the windows down, and about the only time I have any real wind noise is on the freeways. Sometimes it's hard to hear the radio so i just shut the window and it goes away :D! Anyway,  most of the places I drive there is poor or no radio reception so the noise is no big problem with me. Now compared to the duce in a half I drove in the Army, the is no noise at all! You want to hear some real wind on the camper noise, wait 'till you are camped on some dark rainy and snowy night and you get hit by one of those Washoe Zephyrs (called norther in some places).  Now that's a show stopper.  What's more amazing is that despite all the noise and shacking, you survive it and everything holds together ;) !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#15 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Wind noise on my 2005 Tundra and my 2002 Hawk with short cabover was unbearable. WOP-WOP LOUD.  Wind deflector made it go away. 2013 Hawk with large cabover was better. I still use the wind deflector and the Tundra is as quite as my Rav4. 

so the 2002 hawk that didn't extend that much over the truck cab --- somehow was unbearably loud? and what sort of wind deflector did you use? and the longer(?) cabover  was quieter, but you still need to use a wind deflector?

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Do wind/rain fairings on the windows help?  Most of the noise in my rig is from the windows.

http://www.weatherte...dow-deflectors/

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:10 PM

Get the newest truck you can. They're always improving on quietness. Stay away from a diesel though they're no where near as loud as they used to be. Get off the pavement as soon as possible. Soon as I'm on dirt I want to listen to nature, not the radio. 

Maybe because I've always worked in high noise environments but the truck noise doesn't bother. Camper didn't add much if any that "I" could notice. There's always aftermarket ways to reduce noise. Additional insulation, coatings, even floor mats. Spend some time googling noise reduction for whatever vehicle you choose.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

so the 2002 hawk that didn't extend that much over the truck cab --- somehow was unbearably loud? and what sort of wind deflector did you use? and the longer(?) cabover  was quieter, but you still need to use a wind deflector?

It is a pressure thing I am sure. Cracking a window cuts the noise or moving the heater vent to recirculate will reduce the noise. Neighbor down the street has a Tundra and Hawk like mine he said he has no wind noise. He does have an inflatable boot for his rear window pass through. A first generation Tundra with standard Hawk has a lot of room over the cab. I feel if the area was tighter you would not have the noise.  I have a large wing I bought at a yard sale. With it I have no noise. 

IMG_1117.jpg

#19 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

I have a 2010 Tundra and a 2016 Tacoma. I can't believe how loud the road noise is in the Tacoma for a brand new generation truck. It's horrible. Complete fail by Toyota. It has regular factory all terrain tires. The Tundra isn't especially quiet but it is much quieter then the Tacoma. The Tacoma only has a camper shell (which actually made it more quiet than with no shell). The Tundra has my Hawk. It didn't really increase the noise but did cause a little wop-wop-wop shudder at speed. I added a simple Yakima fairing to the cab of the truck and it cured the wop...IMG_2488.JPG

#20 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

thanks, everyone for the info ........ i hadn't even heard of those deflectors, fairings, etc...  surprised how noisy the 2016 tacoma apparently is....i'll have to try out some trucks on the freeway, etc!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users