• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:10 AM

Jack...I'm actually sending this trip report from home, however, I'm using Verizon wireless internet access which I did use while on this trip. I have a USB modem that I plug into my laptop and I can get internet wherever I can get a cell phone signal. For example, when we're are driving down the highway. We would also sometimes stop in a rest area and check the weather, for example. It's not quite as fast as DSL or TV cable internet, but it's very portable and I can also plug the modem into my desk top computer when at home if I want to use it for internet. I live in an area of rural west TN where I have no DSL or TV cable for high speed internet. The sluggishness of my dial-up connection was getting too much to take, and the satellite internet service was too expensive and not as portable. It costs me $60/month for the Verizon internet, sort of expensive, but it's the best choice I have available and I can use it almost anywhere I go. I've had it for about 9 months and so far I really like it.

Internet in my FWC with coffee at my side.

Attached Thumbnails

• Internet in my FWC.jpg

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#42 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:17 AM

silverstriketim...thanks for refreshing my memory...Fannette Island and Cave Rock. We spent three days in Gardnerville, stones throw from Minden. Sherri's son lives in Gardnerville. I suspect we'll be back.

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#43 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:04 AM

Buzzman, My sister uses broad band cellular service for internet in rural Alabama. She tried the other approaches you listed without success and came to the same conclusion as you. We do not have it yet.

It looks like you could use a sliding rear window in your truck and camper. I found a beautiful aluminum framed model for my truck in a salvage yard for 20 bucks and it was easy to install.

Many say the California Zephyr provides the most scenic train ride in the United States. My kids are too impatient for it but I think it is much better than flying, especially with a sleeping compartment. Nothing quite compares with something like your truck and camper. John D

Attached Thumbnails

• Old School Train.jpg

#44 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

John D.

My truck originally had a sliding rear window. I didn't use it much over the years and it made wind noise. When I was refurbishing the truck and replacing windows, I took the sliding window out and replaced it with a one piece window. I still have the original sliding rear window. Since I didn't have a sliding rear window in the truck anymore when I ordered my FWC, I ordered the FWC without sliding window. So far, I don't miss the sliders.

The train looks pretty cool.

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#45 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Buzzman, Thanks for addressing my sliding rear window comment. I am glad you kept the sliding window. The stock unit is very nicely made. I will be trying to talk you into putting the slider back in to test my theory that a slide in camper with a sliding window is a good as having an extended cab. At least, that is the argument I make to GF, but she is not buying it.

I wanted to buy a new truck. The only 8 foot bed half tons I could find had standard cabs. GF will not accept anything other than an extended cab and our camper requires an 8 foot bed.

I have a nice 1973 Chevy Super 10 survivor. After seeing the success of you truck, I’m cleaning it up to try our camper on it rather they buying a new truck. This will test the idea that a camper can replace the extended cab for long trips.

Amtrak Auto Train that runs between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. It is an overnight trip. Our campers are oversized vehicles. I don’t know about the fares. I would imagine Amtrak will eventually do this east – west. John D

#46 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:36 AM

The next day, after our circumnavigation of the Lake, Sherri's son took us on a hike on part of the Tahoe Rim trail. We went on a section of the trail near the Heavenly Valley North ski area. The weather was great and the scenery was awesome. We started the hike in the afternoon and walked only about 3 1/2 to 4 miles one way because we were limited by the daylight.

Looking to the northeast into Nevada between Minden and Carson City. The road cut on the side of the mountain is Hwy 207 between Gardnerville and South Lake Tahoe.
Posted Image

My hiking buddies
Posted Image

Lake Tahoe view
Posted Image

One of the Heavenly ski lifts
Posted Image

Sherri on the trail.
Posted Image

Looking south. I think that's Monument Peak out there in the distance on the right??
Posted Image

Looking southeast. The afternoon shadows are getting long.
Posted Image

We are heading back in the late afternoon.
Posted Image

Looking northeast again, with setting sun.
Posted Image

This was probably my favorite day of the Lake Tahoe visit. I truly enjoyed it and hope to hike here again. I found out later that another one of our WTW members, pvstoy, was also on the Tahoe Rim Trail the same day we were.

The saga continues...

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#47 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

Ever since I started reading some of the WTW members' trip reports on CA Hwy 395, I wanted to go there. So when we left Gardnerville NV, we headed south on 395. We didn't know how far we would get the first day. As I mentioned before, I'm always amazed at the wide open spaces and the beauty in the west and this portion of the trip did not disappoint. So here are a few photos along 395 from Gardnerville NV to Mammoth Mt CA.

Posted Image

Mono Lake
Posted Image

Posted Image

Minaret Vista near Mammoth Mt
Posted Image

My rig at Minaret vista
Posted Image

Mammoth Mt
Posted Image

Hwy 395 is a very very scenic. The traffic was light on 395 and most places we stopped had very few people visiting. Mammoth Mountain was quiet.

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#48 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

We stopped in Bishop at the Public Lands Info Center to find out where we might camp for the night. Very helpful place. We found out about some free camping at a place called Grandview, located near the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. It sounded nice. It was! At Big Pine we turned onto the fairly curvy Hwy 168 toward the White Mountains and into the Inyo NF. This road was one of those second gear climbs for my old truck.

Part of Hwy 168
Posted Image

It was sort of late in the afternoon when we got to Grandview but we found a nice secluded site. There was one other couple that were tent camping on the other side of the campground.

Here's our camp site
Posted Image

One of our views in the evening
Posted Image

The same view the next morning
Posted Image

Drive up to the Bristlecone Pine Forest
Posted Image

Sierra View Overlook
Posted Image

In the Bristlecone Pine Forest
Posted Image

Posted Image

A view on the drive back down from the Bristlecone Pine Forest
Posted Image

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#49 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Buzzman,

Really enjoying your trip report. Recognizing some areas we have enjoyed visiting also. I'm amused by your calling Highway 168 up to the White Mountains "fairly curvy". That is like calling Death Valley in the summertime "fairly warm".

Keep up the great work.

#50 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

Oh man, I want to do the white mountains so bad. And I live so close and haven't been there. /sigh

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users