29 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

i think one 11 lb vertical will fit in the spot you and i have for those 20 lb horizontal tanks i'd like to know about other options too

#12 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

This may give us a clue as to what changed...... (from LP Gas Magazine)....

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers

January 19, 2017 By Megan Smalley    

The Department of Transportation (DOT) finalized a rule last year that affects the time frame for the requalification of propane cylinders and is set to take effect Jan. 23, according to the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA).

The new rule impacts anyone who requalifies, fills, transports or prepares shipments of DOT cylinders. The changes were part of a Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) rulemaking titled HM-233F, which was published as a final rule on Jan. 21, 2016. HM-233F incorporated about 100 special permits into the federal hazardous materials regulations, NPGA says. The changes modify 49 CFR 180.209e of the hazardous materials regulations.

The rule reduces the initial requalification period for DOT cylinders from 12 years to 10 years from the date of manufacture. It reduces the period from 12 years to 10 years for cylinders requalified using volumetric expansion testing. However, the requalification period for DOT cylinders following a proof pressure test increases from seven years to 10 years. The five-year visual inspection method for cylinder requalification does not change.

<snip>

Link to source

(I'm not sure that's the whole story but it's likely the basic idea--- DOT rules changes)

That explains it, thanks! 

In Central Oregon I know that Ferrellgas will requalify a tank for $20. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:38 PM

Maybe I should go fill my tank now before I find out they won't fill it anymore (without testing). That could really put a crimp a trip. Considering the camper is 13 and who knows when the tank was made. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

i think one 11 lb vertical will fit in the spot you and i have for those 20 lb horizontal tanks i'd like to know about other options too

Without knowing the dimensions you have for storing tanks, would it be possible to accomodate a 5 lb tank in addition to the 11 vertical? The two together would total 16 lbs; close to your original capacity.

We have a 5 pounder that is great for external use with a distribution post or Coleman Tee adapter to handle a one or two burner campstove plus a lantern, or a little red campfire, etc.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

Without knowing the dimensions you have for storing tanks, would it be possible to accomodate a 5 lb tank in addition to the 11 vertical? The two together would total 16 lbs; close to your original capacity.

We have a 5 pounder that is great for external use with a distribution post or Coleman Tee adapter to handle a one or two burner campstove plus a lantern, or a little red campfire, etc.

Paul

Propane compartment is 18" deep and 14.25" Tall and wide.   The door to the compartment is only 12 x 13 though.  The squat/pancake styile 11 lb tank is 12.4 x 12.2, and should fit, given that the box is designed for a 20 lb horizontal which is 17.4 x 12.2.

The 5 pounders are 8 x 12".  Both the 11 and the 5 will not fit in together.  Great idea tho!

#16 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

Looks like the change from 12 to 10 years is on an enforcement hold from a Federal perspective... according to this post on the National Propane Gas Association web site.

I called my local recertifier (at Suburban Propane) a few minutes ago and they definitely have a ten-year rule in effect and it went into effect in January.    She seemed very knowledgeable on the topic and said the NPGA post is news to them and they've not seen anything about a change to the policy from their chain of command.

I assume its up to the states to decide whether to stick with their recent guidance on ten years or revert to 12 years.  They could also  issue a similar enforcement hold at the state level.   I'd guess they will stick with the ten-year guidance until they see what comes out of the federal-level review.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#17 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Here's another article about the rules change.  If I understand it, the rules change came about after a review by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (part of the US Department of Transportation) prompted (at least in part) by a food truck explosion in the Philadelphia area in 2014.

The explosion was caught by a security camera in the area.  That footage is contained in this news footage from CBS Philly.

If we separate ourselves (at least temporarily) from the tragedy of the event, it's instructive to see the scope of a 100-pound propane tank explosion.  The tank was turned off at the time.  The tank beside it did not explode.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#18 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Maybe I should go fill my tank now before I find out they won't fill it anymore (without testing). That could really put a crimp a trip. Considering the camper is 13 and who knows when the tank was made. 

The date appears on my Manchester horizontal tank twice.  One side of the collar has DOT markings and the other side has Transport Canada markings.   They show the date as 5 / 01.  

PropaneCollarDOT.jpg

PropaneCollarTC.jpg

Both (dates) can be seen without removing the tank.

Edited by Old Crow, 27 April 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#19 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

...The explosion was caught by a security camera in the area.  That footage is contained in this news footage from CBS Philly. 

Yikes! I will have a hard time not thinking of that next time I visit a food truck. 

I wonder how many leaks are not from the tank but rather from the connections, lines or appliances which rarely get tested. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#20 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

AmeriGas (Kalamazoo, MI) recertified my FULL 20# tank for $5.

Only took about 5 minutes, that includes getting out of my truck, going inside to ask, back in the truck to a back building, gave tank to guy, me look around at the old giant propane tanks, guy gave me back the tank, back in the truck, drive back to the front building, paying $5, back in the truck. :-)

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users