9 replies to this topic

#1 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

I picked up the Flexopower atacama 79 to add some extra solar to my rig. It comes with anderson gray connectors, so I snipped one off and picked up an SAE connector wire to make a pigtail out of. That's when I realized that I don't know the polarity of the solar plug on the camper.

Anyone know how I might figure this out? Which one of these should I use?

I49vdg1.jpg

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Use a DMM to measure the voltage & polarity of the solar socket on your camper. Pick the SAE plug that has the red wire on the positive side. Although you could make either plug work, it would always be a potential point of confusion to someone working on the wiring to not have the standard color coding.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

A DMM is the way to go like Paul mentioned, but if you don't have one check out the specs on your solar controller. I have the Victron 30/100 MPPT and it clearly states in its documentation that if you reverse the polarity it will get warm but not charge. As long as you have a controller that has reversed polarity protection of some kind, you could wing it with trial and error. Not ideal, but a good multi-meter isn't cheap. Sure is handy to have though.

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

#4 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

The male pin on the SAE camper inlet plug will be positive. So the SAE plug that you're inserting into it will have the female positive. You certainly wouldn't want and extension cord with the male end hot, just common sense. Ron

Edited by nikonron, 26 April 2017 - 07:11 PM.

#5 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

I have a multimeter but my camper is 1,500 miles away and I'm trying to put this together before I fly back to it...

The male pin on the SAE camper inlet plug will be positive. So the SAE plug that you're inserting into it will have the female positive. You certainly wouldn't want and extension cord with the male end hot, just common sense. Ron

Oh. right. well, when you put it that way it does seem obvious. Thanks!

#6 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Carl, if you're putting a plug on the solar panel then yes you will want that female positive and the male will be ground/negative on that SAE plug..  Ron

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:36 PM

Thanks everyone! Proving once again that older knowledge is just as good as new info.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:05 PM

Just a note...Zamp wires backwards. If you have Zamp the uninsulated male will be positive. They do that so you "have to" buy Zamp Panels. Stupid crap. I made an adapter so my renogys work on my industry standard box and Zamp standard plug....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

Just a note...Zamp wires backwards. If you have Zamp the uninsulated male will be positive. They do that so you "have to" buy Zamp Panels. Stupid crap. I made an adapter so my renogys work on my industry standard box and Zamp standard plug....

That has been my problem. I found this on Amazon, which solved my connectivity problem: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

I just swapped the leads from the plug to the battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users