121 replies to this topic

#81 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

RafterC

What are the three lowest grades in school?

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#82 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone ever heard of FWC jack brackets failing under any condition? :huh:

Does fluid in a gas container provide a dampening effect on wash board road as opposed to a solid weight? Engineers?

I'm just a redneck fabricator, LOL.

Howdy

I would think that a partially full jerry can or other fuel container would be much worse than the equivalent solid weight.

I know many liquid bulk tank truck drivers.

Even with the bulkhead and baffels designed inside these tanks my friends

describe a whole different driving experience caused by the "slosh factor" as the liquid load shifts.

David Graves

#83 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

As compared to a fuel truck carrying hundreds of gallons distributed over the wheelbase and axle width negotiating mountain roads, less than 5 gallons of fuel or water distributed over the less than one foot by less than two foot bottom of the container should be a much less severe issue of changing loads.

Think about the vehicle fuel tank with 20 to 50 gallons of fuel. It would seem that the mounting method for the fuel tank should be able to withstand a less than 5 gallon load, so why not examine how the fuel tank is mounted. It, after all must be designed to not fail in a vehicle crash where the forces are much higher than a washboard road.

How many 5 gallon can mountings have failed in the back country or on washboard roads? Or more importantly, how many fuel cans have destroyed their mounts on a pop-up camper? Is this a common problem?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#84 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

My concern stems from the potential results of a mount failure. Not just the obvious possibility for fire, but also what such a failure could/would do the to the jack bracket's attachment to the camper.

Two bolts thru the jack bracket and one or two bolts somewhere else would be a LOT more robust solution than just a couple bolts thru the jack bracket.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#85 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

My concern stems from the potential results of a mount failure. Not just the obvious possibility for fire, but also what such a failure could/would do the to the jack bracket's attachment to the camper.

Two bolts thru the jack bracket and one or two bolts somewhere else would be a LOT more robust solution than just a couple bolts thru the jack bracket.

Good to add more support points but determining the "somewhere else" keeps me from jigging up a fuel bracket...

Phil

#86 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

Cayuse and me en route to Tuweep...with our AT mounted gas cans.

The full 5 gal. is a little difficult for me to get down and back up, but not too bad. I have to stand on my camper steps.

Was full time with it on there for 5 months and camped pretty much every weekend with a ton of off-road and washboard etc. and it's been solid.

85PpAV3X9K4kLmu1GVm7yRyc9k7i8RtkacSYUX42

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#87 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

Just to the jack bracket? I wouldn't do that alone. 

IMG_20180130_152830911_HDR%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#88 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:21 AM

Good to add more support points but determining the "somewhere else" keeps me from jigging up a fuel bracket...

Phil

Yeah, that IS the $64 question, isn't it? Looks like Craig has one good solution.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#89 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

I purchased a Hitchgate with dual fuel can holders (and a Hi-lift holder as well) i have two Scepter MFC's (and also a Scepter MWC water can if water is required instead of 2 x extra fuel).

I've carried the Sceptor MFC's on my old Xterra all over, up and down elevation gains like Engineer Pass, in extreme summer temperatures, and they've never complained at all. They do swell in the heat, but man they are strong tough fuel cans. i could probably drive over one without much issue. I do have their lid spanner, which i highly recommend, and their clear long nozzle, which makes refueling a breeze. The MFC's have a built in vent through the handle, so they re-fill extremely quickly. And they're made in Canada...so I figure bonus point for that.

Attached Thumbnails

• 27072749_10155011363436637_1637364142091586576_n.jpg
  • 27072260_10155008590396637_5029314165740922385_n.jpg

Edited by trikebubble, 01 February 2018 - 12:54 AM.

#90 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, that IS the $64 question, isn't it? Looks like Craig has one good solution.

Craig knows his stuff and is thoughtful...my problem is drilling into the Hawk to attach anything and while not knowing where the strength members in the frame are located...bolting or screwing into wood or plastic to anchor or support scares me; especially when bouncing and jarring off road...I am toying with the idea of a vertical brace to the bumper...still need to really think this through first and validate, just for me, if I need more than 26 gallons of fuel on-board..cost vs benefit in terms of weight, weight location and structural integrity off road..

Do appreciate all the ideas offered!

Thanks everyone.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users