5 replies to this topic

#1 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

I am about ready to install a set of Brophy 18", 4-step scissor steps on my Fleet.
I'm looking for advice from anyone who has installed them.
I also want to install the handrail option with them. My wife needs the stability when using the stairs. The instructions call for the installation of a bracket to receive the upper end of the handrail and I am not sure how I should attach it without doing damage to the camper. Any advice?

Thanks

Mike Madden

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#2 slocomb

slocomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Mine I bolted through part of the truck with a couple of 1/4" bolts and it rests on part of the bed...bombproof but might only work with a setup like mine with a Ford 350 and Grandby.  

Attached Thumbnails

• steps.jpg

#3 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the pic. Nice clean install. I'll look to see if I can do that too.

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

Doing the same thing (and that was a nice install)... could this be mounted to the strip below the door? Or would it be better to add a hardwood piece (if your Fleet hangs over as my Eagle does) beneath... with lag bolts and Gorilla glue? A piece of oak or maple would be best.

Edit addition: after rereading your question... Having replaced my door frame I know there are 1" square tube frame (Eagle) around the door. I am almost certain you could through bolt a railing receiver (assuming they make detachable handrail) should be straight forward...be sure to add silicone to the bolt heads and perhaps add a thin layer of byutil (spelling?) tape underneath for water proving the seal

Edited by buckland, 25 May 2017 - 08:23 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 Canyon

Canyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Any ideas on adding a railing without adding a mounting bracket to the camper?  On an Alaskan I think it would conflict with the top piece when lowered.

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

Had the Brophy steps on for the last 2 month trip... they are incredible. As far a a separate side rail my suggestion would be a plate that is bolted to the bottom crossbar that sits on ground, that protrudes 2" out the side threaded pipe (nut sleeve in a tube) that would thread onto a bolt through the plate facing up. same at top. The handrail attached to it (same way:  through rail top into the nut sleeve in the upright tube. The handrail end at the camper could be a  "U" shaped plate that stays attached to the camper bolted through the door frame tubing. Then all you would need is a through pin to attach. Set up time maybe a few minutes having the base plate on the load at  bottom would be the stabilizer. It would also be very stow-able. 

Edited by buckland, 15 August 2017 - 10:08 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steps, brophy, scissor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users