#21 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Great start,Rob.

I guess the Pa roads aren't any worse then ours here in Ca.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#22 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

I know what you mean about the PA roads. It's pathetic!
That's a lot of miles for your first day. Keep up the great job.
Will you be recording your mileage? I'm interested to see how your diesel does.
Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#23 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

Monkey with a go kart....

That's awesome! Glad to read you have actually launched. Enjoy the ride!

Edited by LuckyDan, 18 June 2017 - 05:40 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

Hey alla y'all... Strangely enough I found internet. I posted to the blog and wanted to also post here. Day four and have had luck shine upon me so far... that said I definitely over packed ... I will not start into about the planning of this trip but at the end anything my wife wanted I took.... well... the load is way up there and after the scales I thank heavens for the reinforced suspension. (scary above what I thought) Being a worry wart I dreaded every 70 mph bridge abutment bump where the whole vehicle does the bounce. All told if has handled the weight superbly and drives great but..... it would be nice not to have this weight with me...alas it is what it is. My days were 660, 607, 450, and 450 miles so somewhere around 2175 for four days. This is the price to pay and I am willing and actually have had a lot of fun finding that each night's surprise camp is better than the last...all good. I have been fighting a strong 30 mph wind out of the west. I feel it when I step out of the truck and it is steady and with gusts. So far my total mpg has been ..... 20. It was great until the plains and then it was a labor against the wind... just letting go the foot and the truck slowed fast. I will say the exhaust brake is great for the steep declines in the hills. I hope to get back to 24 mpg soon but from here tomorrow is all up hill. Tonight by Cold Stream in Big Timber MT.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3340 2.jpeg
  • IMG_3341 2.jpeg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#25 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

Looks like the Boulder River. Have a bunch of cousins in Big Timber.
Looks like you are making great time. Have fun. Jd

Edited by longhorn1, 20 June 2017 - 01:21 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

Rob after a few early trips we kept telling ourselves not to bring everything that there are actually "stores" out there.

We have over the years stuck to that way of thinking and only stock up on some things that we need and

wouldn't be able to get on the road.

This has worked well for us.

Enjoying your posts.Stay safe.You will have some really beautiful country soon.I assume you will be on I 90 through Washington.

There is a nice rest stop/State park at the crossing of the Columbia River.On the east bank there is a stop and some cool "Art".

I think it's called "Grandfather turns the horses loose".

It's steel horses up on the cliff.With an easy walking trail. If you get the chance stop and check it out.

Enjoy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#27 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

I know the Robert Campbell Highway is still a ways off.  I drove from Watson Lake to Ross River and Faro on Sunday night.  Arrived at Ross River at 7:30 Monday morning.  I stopped st Frances Lake for a few hours.  Then Monday night I drove back to Watson Lake.  Stayed again at Frances Lake for three hours.  Arrived home this morning at 9.  The Robert Campbell is in pretty good condition except for the construction area which is 50 miles north of Watson Lake.  4 x 4 all the way and my truck with small camper bottomed out in the same section going and returning.  Lots of rain in the area so many potholes.  Take your time and you will be fine.

Robbie 

#28 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Frank Thanks for the heads up... I just passed through there this morning (have had no cell or wifi for the last day and a half) so I missed the "art" stop. I type this with morning coffee in Ellensburg. I had a great drive down Route 17 from the Coulee Dam area. My plans were altered yesterday and through a stroke of luck I ended up on BLM land a place called Hawk River (Creek?) on the Roosevelt Lake...so I just need one more place around here to stay tonight for the truck service appointment tomorrow in Bellevue. Man that was a long haul and it went very smoothly overall... except this morning on day 6 my lower back said it did not want to straighten out. I need a long hike to loosen up!  

Henry David Thoreau

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

JD you were right as rain.... Boulder River it was and it was roaring.... I could have easily spent a lot of time fishing there ... 

Henry David Thoreau

#30 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Should be able to find some camping up the North or Middle Forks of the Snoqualmie River, they're in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest and hopefully void of locked gates :-)

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaska, The Yukon, Chevy Colorado Duramax, Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users