• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Tubel5000

Tubel5000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

Hey all, I am a longtime reader and gathering all the information you guys provide and reading through your adventures made me sign up here as well.

However, here goes my first post: 

I am looking into buying a truck/pop up-camper combo. We would be using the setup being always 2 or three people. 

My dream combo is the same that many of you have: A Tacoma with an FWC Fleet or similar. If possible, I would like to have a Toyota and avoid going Full Size. When I plan a bit further and calculate weights, the numbers just don't add up.

A Tacoma with an FWC Fleet, 3 people and camping gear/clothing, etc. is way over the allowed GVWR of a tacoma (and of every 1/2 ton truck).

I know, many of you upgrade tires and suspension to achieve a better ride. Looking at how many of you do that, it seems the best way to work.

My question is:

- Aren't you worried about insurance in case of an accident (being overloaded)?

- Overloaded pickups tend to break (frame) - Is that a problem you are aware of? If so, how do you handle it?

- what is your approach to that obvious problem?

#2 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

I just upgraded my suspension again. This time only an add-a-leaf to my current pack. I have an upcoming trip in a couple weeks and will test it out.

It all depends on how overloaded you are and if you are willing to go that route. If you have read here enough you know that there are multiple ways to tackle improving a Tacoma's suspension. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with a fully loaded Eagle/Swift on a Tacoma. But people do it.

I'll be anxious to hear the other replies.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

I was very concerned about weight when looking to buy our Fleet flatbed for our 2016 Tacoma double cab.     I was also quite disappointed when our Fleet came in 300lbs heavier than listed.   However, after 7000 miles of driving including a lot of rougher 4wd roads, I am less concerned.  You will need to upgrade the suspension (we replaced the leaf springs with OME Dakars with an extra leaf, the front springs and OME BP-51s all around) upgrade the tires and you need to keep an eye on weight - you may not also want to add a steel ARB bumper winch and carry two kayaks and two fat bikes all the time.   With the tire and suspension work, it handles pretty well (not a sports car) and we have no problem with power or braking.   It has only been 7000 miles, but we have not noticed any premature wear either.

One thing that has always bugged me is that we have no idea what the limiting factor is for payload/gvwr is.   Is it the tires, the springs, the axel, the frame, the brakes?     I suspect on the Tacoma, the first limit is the springs (they want soft springs for an American friendly cushy ride), followed by the tires, but I don't know for sure.

The other thing to remember is that the number that matters is GVWR not payload.   You may be exceeding your payload by what seems like a scary amount (30 - 50%), but you are only exceeding your GVWR by 10 - 15%.  As I have said before, it is not like everything is hunky dory when your are 3% under GVWR and goes to cr@p when you are 10% over -  engineering tolerances just aren't that tight.  

Edited by rando, 24 May 2017 - 02:06 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Also to answer your specific questions:

1. I am not worried about insurance.  I read through the fine print in my insurance and there is no mention of weight.  I don't really see this as any different than other vehicle modifications that may make your vehicle less safe (lifts, bumper bars, oversized tires, roof top tents etc).

2. I have not seen any evidence or instance of a broken frame on a tacoma from a camper, but would be interested if you had. 

3. Upgraded suspension and tires and driving the truck like it is heavy (because it is heavy). 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

<snip>

2. I have not seen any evidence or instance of a broken frame on a tacoma from a camper, but would be interested if you had. 

Take a look at the end of this web page -

http://ourfourwheelc...-reservoir.html

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

That is interesting.   It does appear to be self inflicted though with a poorly thought out 'reinforcement' to begin with that caused a stress riser where you have a step change in frame rigidity.    But you are right, it is an example of frame damage from a FWC.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

... My dream combo is the same that many of you have: A Tacoma with an FWC Fleet or similar. ...

It's a beautiful dream, made more beautiful by how well the two parts look together, like they were simply made for each other - the best looking combo imo.

I chose full size  so I don't have any platform specific solutions etc other than the advice to keep the vehicle brakes in excellent working condition.

To echo ETAV8R's  comment, it really comes down to, are you going to be okay with it ? The adage here would be "know thyself".

You already know you would be overweight before buying - can't use the "I had the truck already" rational.  And you'll know that everyone is different, what might work for a solo occupant may not be satisfactory for three people.

So, does having those two other occupants influence your weight concern ? Would weight concern affect where you chose to travel ? Others do it. Are you going to be okay with it ?

I'll close with a story about a couple we know. They are 20-25 year long FWC camper owners with a first gen Tundra (prev was a Toyota pu). Compared to us, they don't carry a lot of "stuff". Almost absent is extra "just in case something goes wrong stuff". Because, they haven't the room and more importantly they don't want too, "more stuff, more problems". They claim to have never weighed their rig and believe they "can't be" overweight. I believe differently but ... so what  ... They've successfully travelled all over western Canada, US and Mexico for months at a time over two decades. Their focus is not worry but enjoying themselves with enthusiasm. And for them, it's worked !

#8 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

You are lucky...you aren't trying to cram ten pounds of #$@ in a five pound bag! Meaning you don't already have a truck not suited to the weight and balance of everything you will be carrying!

If you intend on mounting the camper for two weeks a year, staying on asphalt, no big hills, etc. you can probably overload it. You could add springs, bags, etc. but then unloaded it would ride "like a truck".

Go back to square ONE:

1) Find the camper you want and get the WET weight from the mfger.

2) Make a list of EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY who will be on the trip and figure out the WEIGHT of all that.

3) Now you know what the load will be.

4) Now you can go look at trucks to see what you NEED....and that is probably a 3/4 ton based on the GVWR needed to haul you and your camper and your "stuff" safely down the happy highway.

Just my $0.02 worth of advice.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

There are frequent and helpful discussions about "running heavy" here on WTW and on many other forums, a few of which I've provided my $00.02 to.  

A brief reiteration here is that I am skeptical about insurance companies providing a "free pass" to their insureds if they have even a shred of a case to deny a claim. Their business model is collecting premiums and playing hardball on claims. I have, however, little other than anecdotes to suggest carriers routinely take such positions regarding carried or towed camper units. I'd still expect some pushback in the event a collision claim was made by the owner of any rig which was laden materially beyond its GVWR or GCWR, particularly if said owner had spoken frequently on social media/internet forums specifically about knowing he was running heavy.

There are lots of ways to legitimately skin a cat, so my feeling is "why try to cut corners?"  If one needs a truck with "x-y-z" sort of specs, they're available.

Foy 

#10 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

My dream combo is the same that many of you have: A Tacoma with an FWC Fleet or similar. If possible, I would like to have a Toyota and avoid going Full Size.

You didn't state what configuration the Tacoma would be nor the camper. Regardless of the Tacoma if the camper is a shell model it leaves you more wiggle room but you will still need to improve the suspension. I just added the OME AAL to my leaf pack and will be taking it out in a couple weeks and will report back then.

I know the weight of my camper and have weighed almost all my gear that goes on trips so I know ballpark what the truck is carrying. Hoping my newest addition to the suspension is what it needs to carry the gear better.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users