Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:39 AM

Hello

Can some one point me to a list, reference for the dimensions of the models ( I get that the length varies ), trying to determine width, base to shoulder ( trying to determine size for fitting to a utility body, found a set of images from expedition forum from someone who has done this, the man had the skills and tools to modify his recycled utility body and he already had a Alaskan to work from ). Depth of standard box on truck varies depending on year/decade of manufacture. Utility bodies varies by Mfg for different markets and DRW or SRW.

Alaskan does not have dimensions other than length and wet/dry weights that I could find on their site.

If you have yours on a ___X____ truck is the clearance the same over the cab have you observed? Assuming you see and talk with other Alaskan owners.

Are you using a wind deflector/foil?

Terence

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#2 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Here's what I have: not all campers have the bump outs behind the wheel well, so it really depends on what year and style your Alaskan is.

alaskan-dimensions.jpg

#3 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hello "thisOldCamper"

Thank you for the response.

48" width, plus the difference for 8" for each side ( approximately ) for the storage with a depth of 21" deep by 19.5" in height.

2017 Ford bed rail depth is "currently given as 21.1".  Ford SuperDuty PDF source.

So a riser/offset/storage preplanning, unless custom camper made for "2017 Ford" bedrail depth.

So scouting of used service bodies and "Alaskan" campers with tape measure in hand!

Terence

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

be careful.....utility bodies typically have a 49" bed width....many of the older campers have pop outs of different widths at the rear section at the refer and comode/closet area....I've seen anywhere from 6-10 inches in the pop-outs...Alaskan made a special version just for utility bodies...straight away full width all the way back

with an older NCO you will be raising the bed...but the utility configuration will be the key to the height...so an old utility body on a new frame with an older Alaskan will require some interesting measurements

M2C....get your truck, find the camper you want...bring it home with the bed on the truck...then find the bed you want, get it mounted...and make the adjustments...mount the adjusted camper....(you'll be able to camp in the camper in the time your bed hunting.... :D

if you go CO you will have additional "measurements" to deal with...standard raise on a newer ford pickup is a 4"  on older campers in CO configuration to clear the cab by 1"

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:13 AM

Thanks

Some of the older propaganda from Alaskan did include a service body reference. And as I mentioned in my original post over on the "overland forum", someone detailed their conversion from a standard bed to a utility/service body bed and the necessary widening to handle the rear expansion to support the space for the bottle gas and the cassette toilet on either side of the door of their Alaskan.

More tools and technique than I posses.

Terence

Terence

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

they also built special 12' models especially for utility bodies.....they will build you one....but it wont be ready till next year :D

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: size, dimensions, proportions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users