• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has used a thread locker compound such as Loctite "Blue" (medium strength) formula to help keep the turnbuckles from loosening?  Mine always come loose during/after every trip and I constantly have to check and tighten them.  I am using the procedure of hand tightening and then 1/2 to 1 turn using a screw driver for leverage.. I can't see any harm in trying Loctite but I wanted to double check. 

thanks,

David 

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

I've gone a different route, I have stopped mine from becoming loose by using zip ties. I could never get two hands in that little cubby door to get a lock or jam nut tight enough to hold them. Once you get them tight you're just pretty much keeping the turnbuckle from spinning, no spin, no loosen.  Ron

#3 rollinrollinrollin

rollinrollinrollin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

I doubt Locktite will harm the turnbuckle. You should probably call the factory in Northern Ca. for the best answer. I bet they will have a solution you could share with others on the forum who may be experiencing a similar issue.

#4 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:30 AM

I'm wondering if the loose turnbuckle syndrome is cause by something other than the turnbuckles unscrewing. The two other possibilities are the turnbuckle hooks bending under stress or the camper moving in the bed when the truck goes over bumps.

I was lucky to get explicit instructions from FWC where to place the eyebolts in my truck bed for the used Hawk I bought. Basically, the eyebolts are places so the front eyebolts pull the camper forward and outboard; the rear eyebolts pull the camper rearward and outboard. I'm thinking that this eyebolt placement has contributed to the fact my factory eyebolts don't loosen.

A couple of other considerations: In spite of my efforts to position the camper in the bed as far forward as possible, there's usually an inch or so of space between the front bed wall and the rubber bumpers on the front of the Hawk. And I have a thick rubber bed mat the camper sits on. The mat may or may not keep the camper from slipping around in the bed. The mat causes a bit of a hassle when I take the camper off because it sticks a bit to the bottom of the camper. But it seems to help insulate the floor in winter and the bottom of the camper looks almost as new as it was in 2009.

Hope this helps.

Ed

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:16 AM

Somebody needs way too much time on their hands to do a study.  Use cameras at each turnbuckle and do some off road driving and see how they move around. ;) :wacko: :o

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I did have the camper installed at the factory, and the forward turnbuckles pull forward and the rears rearward. I also have a rubber mat under the camper. I am going to try the thread lock and will report back if it works effectively. Ron, I'm curious how you attached the zip ties.

#7 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

I put nuts on the normal thread portion of the turnbuckle and after the turnbuckles are tightened and set up I tighten the nights to keep the turnbuckles from moving.....it works and I haven't had any loosen up....

#8 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Just a NOTE / WARNING as I lost a turnbuckle that came off. Luckily I found it next time I removed camper it had slid under edge. I was on trip when I discovered it was lost. I check a lot but this was an excessive washboard trip and it came loose and off. So I stopped at the next Ace Hardware to get a replacement.The only one they had that was correct size had a looped screw on one end. No issue just bought a snap ring and used on camper end.

Now the warning... completed the trip... more washboards. Checked nightly and looked good. When home I actually removed camper. That replacement turnbuckle had actually straightened out on the end on bed eyebolt. Did not come off but was now 90 degrees and could have easily pulled off.

I was lucky I found the original :) But I went out and bought another forged turnbuckle as spare. If you replace your turnbuckles make sure you buy good one!!! I now have lock nuts on each and it seems to be working well :)

Edited by XJINTX, 05 June 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hi David

Locktite will do no harm.

Also, you can buy forged turnbuckles at most any good hardware store that will not bend.

It might be a  good idea to climb under your truck and inspect how the eye bolts are doing....tight install ? and no bending/distortion of the bed...were some sort of backing plates used?

I am not trying to alarm you but it is worth getting familiar with the mounting setup in the comfort of your driveway .

I don't know what truck you have.

Few truck beds are made for the kind of force the turnbuckles (and the camper bouncing around) can exert.

David Graves 

#10 paulclancy

paulclancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNorthern Vermont

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I did have the camper installed at the factory, and the forward turnbuckles pull forward and the rears rearward. I also have a rubber mat under the camper. I am going to try the thread lock and will report back if it works effectively. Ron, I'm curious how you attached the zip ties.

I'm curious also about the zip ties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users