• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

I've also upgraded to 3/8" forged turnbuckles. Just run the ziptie through the turnbuckle and catch one of the eye ends, then it cannot spin. I also was having mine loosen up on wash board roads, tried several different lock nuts. But like I said, you cannot get your hands in there to properly jam them tight. No problem now with the zipties.  Ron

Edited by nikonron, 05 June 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#12 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

I had mine installed at a dealer, they said the FWC recommends Loctite. Mine did not have Loctite and one came loose in the first week. If you are worried about blue being too hard to loosen try Loctite 222 (purple).  It is meant to resist vibration.  I have used in on bicycle wheels (spokes) for years and it has been great and allows for adjustment. 

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#13 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Here's what I use.  They can't come undone.

20161105_123627.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#14 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

Same here, in 3/8"

Here's what I use.  They can't come undone.

#15 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Here's a pic so you can see how simple.  Ron

20170605_112121_resized.jpg

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi David

Locktite will do no harm.

Also, you can buy forged turnbuckles at most any good hardware store that will not bend.

It might be a  good idea to climb under your truck and inspect how the eye bolts are doing....tight install ? and no bending/distortion of the bed...were some sort of backing plates used?

I am not trying to alarm you but it is worth getting familiar with the mounting setup in the comfort of your driveway .

I don't know what truck you have.

Few truck beds are made for the kind of force the turnbuckles (and the camper bouncing around) can exert.

David Graves 

Great advice.

I use a simple locknut on one side of each turnbuckle. It's not fun to tighten them down but they work great and will not loosen.

Blue lock-Tite will help. But in this application it's no replacement for a Locknut.

#17 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

I put nuts on the normal thread portion of the turnbuckle and after the turnbuckles are tightened and set up I tighten the nights to keep the turnbuckles from moving.....it works and I haven't had any loosen up....

This is the right answer.  I did this to mine after my install. I drove about 50 miles on paved roads and checked them. One was off the others were loose. 

#18 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:19 PM

attachicon.gif20170605_112121_resized.jpg

Great minds Ron. I did exactly the same thing.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

attachicon.gif20170605_112121_resized.jpg

Good idea! The only issue I see with using a zip-tie, even a good one in black, is sunlight and/or will eventually kill them. I'd expect an annual checking of them would be prudent.

I did similar, only used Safety Wire which is 302 Stainless Steel and is intended for this use, but good ole fashioned baling wire would work.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Good idea! The only issue I see with using a zip-tie, even a good one in black, is sunlight and/or will eventually kill them. I'd expect an annual checking of them would be prudent.

I did similar, only used Safety Wire which is 302 Stainless Steel and is intended for this use, but good ole fashioned baling wire would work.

There is absolutely no sunlight that hits them, they are in the dark. Also good quality zipties. And for those that say the lock nuts work and don't loosen, get off road on a wash board road, I have and they will loosen. Ron

Edited by nikonron, 06 June 2017 - 01:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users