• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

I have running mine for 4 years off road and have never loosened.  I trust a lock nut 1000x more than a plastic zip tie.I have seen plenty of those zip ties that are brittle and shatter.  Lock nuts get to the heart of the issue. If they loosen up then you need to improve your wrist strength. 

#22 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

Anyone try Nylock nuts for the jam nut?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#23 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

I tried nylok nuts, they also didn't hold. My problem is I can't get two hands in there to jam the nuts properly. Ron

Edited by nikonron, 06 June 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#24 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Ozone will still work on the plastic. I think it's a simple and easy solution for your layout, I'd just caution that they be checked or even replaced annually.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#25 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

Stainless steel tie wire would solve the problem also.  Ron

#26 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

I put zip ties on mine last September after reading about someone losing a turnbuckle entirely.  I figured one tie or the other would at least keep the turnbuckle in the truck and was curious whether they'd also resist turning. 

I initially put in small zip ties but then happened onto the 18"-long by 5/16" wide ones at Lowe's and found them easier to install than the smaller ones (they can be installed with one hand).  They supposedly have a 'weight rating' of 175 pounds but who knows what that means.  In any case, I thought they'd be useful for visual checks, i.e. to see if they twist up or break.

So far I've not seen any changes but I'm also not stressing them.  I've not been anywhere rough since adding them.

When I first got the camper I had (minor) problems with the turnbuckles loosening but after installing a mat and deciding to tighten them a bit more, I didn't find loose turnbuckles nearly so often.   In other words, I'm not a great test case for zip ties as an anti-turn solution but like having them for the visual check (and as a leash for the turnbuckle).

Here's a photo of one just before I clipped off the end...

TieDownZipTie2.jpg

Edited by Old Crow, 08 June 2017 - 02:32 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#27 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

Zip ties are my life. I just retired from the phone company. They are great but they are NOT safety wire. Fine as an Indicator as mentioned above. But twisting on a sharp turnbuckle will cut them easily. Also note that the ones that are sold at chain stores are pretty junky and have a short life when exposed to UV. 

Lock nuts may not be perfect and it's hard to get both hands in there to tighten them. 9/16 wrench on the nut and a large adjustable wrench to hold the turnbuckle works well.

I don't feel the turnbuckles provided with my camper are high end at all. A better quality turnbuckle would probably help.

The one thing that no one is talking about is regular inspections. If you have your camper on full time or for extended periods and don't check the tightness regularly then you have way more faith than I do.

I can access the rear ones on my camper from the back of the truck. Enough so that I can reach in at gas stops and give them a feel.

Edited by Squatch, 06 June 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#28 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

An upgrade to forged turnbuckles is a big improvement itself. I regularly inspect mine while I'm out traveling. Just one quick jolt on the ones that Four Wheel uses and they do snap, really doesn't take much to do that. No real pressure needed on the zipties to keep the center of that turnbuckle from wanting to turn. No sharp edges for mine to rub on..And yes the larger zipties are best. Had a friend who also worked at the phone company, they do have real zipties.  Ron

#29 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

So where can I buy high quality zip ties if the ones in chain stores are junky?  What brand is recommended?

#30 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

I'd say electrical supply store. May also check Grainger or McMaster Carr.  Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users