Photo
- - - - -

Outside window flap - anyone cut these off?!?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

In 2011 Stan posted a video of Tom Hanagan talking about the old-style versus new-style windows.  It suggests the flap on the older models was needed to avoid leaks....

Also-  As several others have noted, I too have had the problem of wind-blown rain soaking through the lower window-stitching on my 01 Hawk.  It has only happened once so far and only on the windward side of the camper in a driving rain (with the exterior flaps left up).  But that was enough to tell me I wouldn't want to just cut them off.

Edited by Old Crow, 11 June 2017 - 05:01 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#12 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

I use simple PVC pipe frames to make them into shade awnings- easy set up, work well

20151018_122711_zpspzhyrxjd.jpg

20151018_122657_zpspsnft8nt.jpg

Thanks   Tom

That is a great idea, I also would like to know how they are supported at the bottom location.
Thank you

Rock

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#13 Turbocity tom

Turbocity tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

i used 1/2 inch threaded pvc thru the lower pocket ( replaced the wood slat) the threaded section sticks out an inch or so each side.

those are connected to a couple of 90 deg threaded pvc fittings that i drilled a hole thru for the hold down cord.  1/2 inch pcv pipe is threaded into those 90's with threaded Tee's on the bottom of each pipe. there is a layer of foam glued to the area of the Tee that contacts the camper vinyl at the lower edge. it just rests on the ledge.  i installed 3 small "footman loops" on each side on the camper near the top.  1/8 inch nylon cord that is threaded thru the upper 90's has a loop tied in the lower part- small "bungee" cords loop thru the cord and secure the flaps to the footman loops.  this gives allows the flap to move slightly.

I store all of the PVC parts in a small bag.  the pvc pipe stays in the flap- takes about 10 minutes to set up (all the parts are identified so they go back in the same place each time.

i have been thru several severe thunder storms with these and the have works great.

i can post some closer pictures of the set up if you would like.

Thanks    Tom

When it come to Horsepower, Too much is just enough 1990 k1500 Chevy with CA legal 454/4l80E swap 1996 Hawk Customized

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

I have been using PVC tubing to hold the flaps also since the camper was new,one of the first mods.

Mine are made so they fold up with the liner and you don't have to take anything apart and find a place

to store them.

I use a short strip of Velcro to hold the bottom to the liner Velcro.

Also if you make the flap braces and want to keep them on with the top down the support shouldn't be longer then 10"

so it will fold into the liner without any problem.You will need to do some trial/error on this.

My first braces I didn't use the threaded "Ells" but have gone to them as they don't come apart.

This set up makes a great improvement on the use of the flaps,IMO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

^, ^^ Excellent. Thank you Tom and Frank.

This awning idea is reason enough to leave the flaps on imo.

And Tom, good looking set up. Nice to see a reg cab short box out there ...

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

^, ^^ Excellent. Thank you Tom and Frank.

This awning idea is reason enough to leave the flaps on imo.

Good decision ,once you remove them you might want them back.

Just roll them up or do the awning style.

Here is my awning.I have them on all 4 windows.I usually can reach them from the ground to raise or lower them or just use the step stool.

DSCN6740.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

I carry a shovel on the back of the camper. In an emergency thats what I use to lower the flaps. On my way to GBNP I camped in an intense thunderstorm.Only time in my life I really thought the camper might get hit by lightning. It was worth the risk go outside and lower the flaps, otherwise things would have been pretty wet inside. Only time I thought about lowering top. Would it be safer to have the metal roof closer? 

We had a lightning expert pop up on WTW a while back. I'd be curious about his opinion on leaving the top popped or lowering it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

i used 1/2 inch threaded pvc thru the lower pocket ( replaced the wood slat) the threaded section sticks out an inch or so each side.

those are connected to a couple of 90 deg threaded pvc fittings that i drilled a hole thru for the hold down cord.  1/2 inch pcv pipe is threaded into those 90's with threaded Tee's on the bottom of each pipe. there is a layer of foam glued to the area of the Tee that contacts the camper vinyl at the lower edge. it just rests on the ledge.  i installed 3 small "footman loops" on each side on the camper near the top.  1/8 inch nylon cord that is threaded thru the upper 90's has a loop tied in the lower part- small "bungee" cords loop thru the cord and secure the flaps to the footman loops.  this gives allows the flap to move slightly.

I store all of the PVC parts in a small bag.  the pvc pipe stays in the flap- takes about 10 minutes to set up (all the parts are identified so they go back in the same place each time.

i have been thru several severe thunder storms with these and the have works great.

i can post some closer pictures of the set up if you would like.

Thanks    Tom

That's perfect, I have a pretty good idea and now we have storm flaps and shade awnings. Plus the best location for storing would be in place.. I am not sure ATC has a opening sewn in at the bottom, I don't remember seeing one. I still think it would be worth the effort to sew in a few loops for this. Also remember if you are using pvc glue, both pieces get a dab for better adhesion.

Rock.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#19 Turbocity tom

Turbocity tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

That's perfect, I have a pretty good idea and now we have storm flaps and shade awnings. Plus the best location for storing would be in place.. I am not sure ATC has a opening sewn in at the bottom, I don't remember seeing one. I still think it would be worth the effort to sew in a few loops for this. Also remember if you are using pvc glue, both pieces get a dab for better adhesion.

Rock.

all the parts screw together- no glue.  i elected to remove them and store in the propane locker when traveling , as then you can use a longer support to prop the flap out further. the max length is about 1/2 the window width if you leave them installed (because of the fold)

I also didn't want anything additional laying on the vinyl when it is folded- my camper is 21 years old and has the original vinyl- if you take care of it, they will last for ever.

Thanks   Tom

When it come to Horsepower, Too much is just enough 1990 k1500 Chevy with CA legal 454/4l80E swap 1996 Hawk Customized

#20 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:41 AM

I cut mine off a few years ago when I saw the new ones didn't have them.  No problems in the rain storms I've been in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users