19 replies to this topic

#1 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Hi All

I have been searching for a pop up camper for my truck. I originally was set on trying to find a used FWC Grandby, however the more I research Alaskan Campers the more I want one! I have skimmed through all of the 450+ topics on this forum and have learned a lot of great information. However, I was wondering if there are some golden years that are particularly desirable. I can't afford anything new, and this is also my first truck camper so I really don't want to spend too much money. I have looked and spoke with a couple people selling Alaskans. One is 77', the other and 88' and the last a 94'. Did the quality of materials change through the years? Are the older ones more desirable? I have read that certain campers were made in Amish country and their attention to detail is superb. The campers are all similar in functionality and options. Obviously their are much more important things to look at such as damage, water intrusion, wood rot, mold, etc., however if all campers were maintained equally well, is there a golden era that is particularly desirable due to quality build and materials? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peter

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

from its inception in the late 50's through the mid to late 70's Alaskans were built with pine and fir framing, plywood interiors most frequently white ash skins.  In the late 70's (get the exact date from Brian at Alaskan) they tried to "value engineer" the interiors with flakeboard with photo skin finish....that was done through the 80's...in the mid to late 90's they went back to plywood with ash skins.  If the 80's campers got damp in any way...they tend to peel their finish  off of the interior...it gets ugly quickly

there were several builders and some used Birch or maple ply but those are few and far between....the plumbing also varies slightly from access points and drain locations....some had porta potties installed some did not, some had propane tanks installed and some did not...it's all good...modifications abound depending on the user

the late 90's were built well but you rarely find them for sale...most of the time it's some form of neglect which has caused water intrusion and damages vary in extent.

I'm most fond of the Ash plywood finish...probably because i'm a wood guy....alot of cabinets and furniture in my background.

There are still many out there...hidden in someones barn...maybe with exterior damage maybe a minor crash or two....it happens....low hanging branches in campgrounds have taken their toll to be sure

repairs can be extensive or minor...depending on how much of a perfectionist you are...ask Ripper....(;>)...keep your skill level in mind...but always remember....It's still a camper...made to camp and enjoy....don't get so involved that it becomes a museum piece...use it, fish with it, raise kids with it, have fun

Welcome to the addiction Peter.....  ;)

Edited by Rusty, 15 June 2017 - 11:38 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:45 AM

Wow, thanks Rusty for the reply on that! 

I was honing in on the 88' but from what it sounds like it may not be the best quality workmanship.  The seller seemed to have taken immaculate care of it, but the quality of materials is definitely a consideration.  It is a 10' CO, which I really like, so I guess it just depends if the price is right. 

The other one is a 77', and although I haven't spoke to the owner yet, but I will definitely ask him about the material.  I would hope he would be able to tell me if it is plywood or particle board.  I figure with what my needs are, I really just want a roof over my head with a heater should things get cold...  I have a one year old and my plan is to have us camp, not "glamp".  I feel like unfortunately the FWCs and Airstreams are so trendy these days and command such a premium, but I just want a decently priced truck camper that is simple but has good bones that I could build upon.

Thanks for the welcome Rusty, your input is appreciated! 

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

don't worry about a heater...unless you plan on winter camping...and even then.....an extra blanket (wool) does the trick

many of the vinyl faced particle board interiors are dark and have raised panel doors....you'll see that....go and look at them...watch for water staining patterns, dark screw locations and darkened corners

sometimes simple finger pressure will expose weak points...to an owners dismay

best of luck....would that 88' be in West Marin?

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hi Rusty

Yes the 88 is in West Marin. Talked to the owner it sounds like he took good care of it. But it does have the vinyl pressboard which isn't the best. Has new jacks, new pirelli strip. But the price seems a little high. Any thoughts on it?

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

price is high for the year and the interior...jacks are nearly 750 new and pirelli is 100 just for the material.....all these considerations....

and you have local competition for Alaskans as well

#7 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

https://saltlakecity...6162557742.html

Hi Rusty

This is the camper I am actually honing in on. The PO did quite a bit of work. It still needs a few things like:
-water tank
-CO cushions
-interior siding on pop up part.
-some holes in the skin need to be repaired.

I talked with the Current owner for about an hour yesterday. Obviously not perfect, but not particle board interior either. This is more in my price range. Is the price fair?

I was looking at this unit on eBay as well. More work involved it looks like but also of the vintage that is more desirable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172726297092

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

the one in salt lake city is the better deal from what I can see of the unit...the other one has some staining...not rot staining but wet none the less...and all over staining as well

fair price on the one in Salt Lake...a little work to be done but that's the way most come...clean interior from what one can make out

the jacks on the salt lake camper are hydraulic and have a modified bracket which is easily converted to full electric...

the refer is vented into the interior...see the refer pic and the vent above the unit...good one to modify for exterior venting

Edited by Rusty, 16 June 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

I've checked out the ads for all three...I live 15 miles from the West Marin one but it is a bit expensive. The Missouri one has some damage in the upper front corner which can probably be stopped with resealing the drip edge without replacing the panels. The SLC one is missing some interior panels to the left & right of the window in the photos I believe. The West Marin looks to have been parked out of the elements as the paint looks perfect on the outside photos...the Missouri one has minimal issues but who knows....the SLC needs a bit of TLC. I'm not interested in the West Marin (too expensive and too big) and the others are too far to drive to check out only to find they aren't what I want anyway.

All three are 10' AKs and I am determined to find myself an 8' CO AK so I have not contacted the owners. Good Luck with your hunt! I will say this; after watching the WTW and CL since December....these three are very good examples if the cost and location work for you!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#10 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hi Rusty

The Salt lake owner stated that he has done some modifications to the jacks to allow the front to be modulated as he stated the fronts are a little heavier and have tendency to bind. I am not sure how he did that but he said with several valves??? That would be really cool to put an electric system on it. I do see the rectangular vent above the refrig, is that what you are talking about? If I get it I would love to know how to vent that to the outside...seems like a safety issue to me for a propane refrig.... Thanks for the tips you are awesome!

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users