• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

Heading out west from east coast. We use CBs when riding in a group. Any need on a solo trip in CO, WY, MT, and ND? I would rather have the dashnoard space.

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

I think Ham radio would be a better bet in an emergency as coverage would be larger though the CB might be better for traffic info.....

I have pondered getting my Ham license and a radio as an emergency communication device. I am sure there are several folks here who can chime in on this :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

I keep toying with the idea of a CB.  Ham would be better for emergencies if out solo.  CB provides the advantage of traffic chatter. in group communication and around here the logging trucks are usually on one of the channels and it is posted on the roads, handy to know if you need to be extra cautious on a FS road.

Still haven't done either but leaning towards a CB and either a SPOT or InReach for when I'm out of range of all else.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

I don't see a need for anything like a CB on a solo trip. From an emergency/safety perspective, something like a Spot or InReach would give you coverage in areas where radios have none. I do carry family band radios, but rarely use them.

I am haunted by waters

#5 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

We use CB a lot here in TX too when out with local groups. I recently had a planned trip with some people from out west. They recommended Ham. We actually used CB's too but Ham was good for when we went to different locations like the mountains. I merely got my Ham before I went. With all the online sites to study from the test was not difficult. I bought a rather inexpensive handheld with magnetic roof antenna. I never talked but could have if desired too. However I was able to listen in. With the handheld I could reach a repeater in most areas. It was a warm fuzzy driving back to TX if I needed it.

I will move to a better rig for my truck but looking at options. I have and use a SPOT but with Ham I think I'll move to APRS. Eventually I'd like to get a home unit and wife get her license. Then we can communicate that way when I'm out and about :)

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

I find CB to be useless. Seems like the truckers have all moved to SSB or something. No traffic chatter on any channel around here. An FRS radio has about the same useful range and is a whole lot easier for the non-tech types, like my 80-something mother, to use in a small caravan.

When on "guy trips" we use simplex 2M ham exclusively. Much better range than either FRS or CB.

For an emergency I'm looking at InReach. A friend recently got one and I'm on his contact list, so I monitor their progress when they're out solo.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Since I live in the east and travel often to the west I find my CB useful from time to time when I get stuck on a freeway somewhere and need to decide to get off and find my way around something. Occasionally the truckers will say something useful.  :D

Edited by Stalking Light, 28 June 2017 - 02:25 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#8 dustboy

dustboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationQue onda guero?

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'll echo nitesquid (sorry, that's how I read it), my neighbor gave me a spare CB and since I hooked it up I've heard nothing but noise, maybe the occasional wolfman wannabe. That includes the center of the Bay Area, less than a mile away from Hwy 880 which is a solid wall of trucks 24/7. I do carry a handheld CB as well, if I ever need to caravan I give the handheld to the other vehicle.

Edited by dustboy, 29 June 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

My experience is similar to several above:  When on the highway, especially on a cross-country run, I'll pop on the magnetic rooftop antennae and plug its cable into the permanent CB mounted in the cab.  Substantial communications overheard from truckers are infrequent to rare, but when they're chatty, they can be pretty entertaining.  I also find the CB useful to determine the starting point of traffic backups going my way in order to find a work-around.  Lastly, I've found considerable value to being able to listen in on, and to thus avoid interfering with, log trucks on their descent, where they'll call out their points along the road in an attempt to not surprise one another, or we little four-wheelers.

Foy

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm biased as I have been a ham for years & am active in emergency communications with local & state agencies. FRS & CB radios are usually with me. An Inreach Explorer is with me as well.

A trip to DVNP a couple of years ago found me with no communication by cellular or ham radio. In an emergency, I could have set up my HF radio and found someone to contact. However, that experience convinced me to buy the Inreach Explorer as my wife, a less geeky ham, could easily summon help if I were the injured party.

As others have mentioned, CB is no longer the ubiquitous communication option it once was. On our trip to the Canadian Rockies last summer, I made sure the CB was set up and running. Never heard any communications. Asked a trucker with CB antennas at a rest area about what channel he used & he said his wasn't used & he didn't even know where his mike was. Any more, CB appears to be a local club activity tool. We use FRS for communications in a group that includes non hams, especially between vehicles to coordinate stops.

If you get one of the mobile ham radios that supports APRS, it can be set up for "voice alert" to detect nearby hams for a quick conversation and/or with APRS messaging for a texting like function.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 29 June 2017 - 05:27 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users