Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hello Group

I am working on a list of popup campers ( Hallmark, Outfitter, "X" ).

So if this thread already exists kindly point me. If not, well help please if you know.

Seeking change over dates and information as what was done before and after a "year"

Example from conversation via telephone ( yes I am old ) I know that Hallmark changed their roof from the TPO type to the current fiberglass in 2008, roof could be ordered either old or new material in 2008, after 2008 fiberglass.

Example from reading from Outfitter site that 2014 is when they changed to their "composite body", what was done before that ( method, materials and such ).

Northstar salesman with whom I spoke referred to the "HECO" mechanical lift common on lots of soup campers prior to 2008, the HECO company was bought and the brand deteriorated as quality control "changed" ( I am being diplomatic here ) and several other manufacturers of mechanical lifts found on other ( not Northstar ) campers simple closed down/disappeared.

I expect/plan to visit Outfitter and Hallmark, and possibly Phoenix end of July and ask questions, they may or may not be forthcoming of history for a variety of reasons.

Asking the second owner of something used ( I expect to buy used, except for Phoenix which I do not seriously expect to find used or fit my truck if actually encountering a used Phoenix camper ) can be iffy/questionable knowledge wise about what they private owner ( RV dealers may or may not be more/less knowledgeable of product on their lot ) have for sale. I might get lucky but I do tend improve my probabilities by prior inquiry, research.

Lots of experience here in general on WTW, several members have owned multiple campers over the last decade(s). Can you summarize for me and future checkers, seems like if "we" can do this it would be a worthy "sticky" for reference.

Thanks Terence

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

The campers you mention are all pretty good, as are Four Wheel Camper, All Terrain Camper, Alaskan and probably some others. Much depends on preference and budget. If you are buying used then that narrows it down to availability. We researched several brands in 2013 (phone, in person and talking to owners) and liked the construction, options and build schedule that Hallmark offered. That might be different today. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#3 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

If your going to be in Colorado to visit the Hallmark and Oufitter factories I'd suggest you make the short drive down to Denver and see Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers. We made that drive from Omaha 5 years ago and visited all three places. We loved the 4W Campers because of the lightweight, simplicity and the craftsmanship is outstanding. We ordered one from Chris, he's a great guy, a real outdoorsman that uses his camper on this custom Tacoma regularly. We've had some great adventures in our 4W Camper Hawk, the fun factor is off the scale.
Omaha Nebraska

#4 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the response. I have visited Four Wheel in California, also Alaska in Washington. Now aware of Rocky Mountain in Denver. Thank you.

Now back to my list of change over dates so I can ask "potentially" useful questions about what to look for in campers of the "popUp" variety.

Anyone know when various manufacturers have implemented changes to their models as I referenced above, points of failure in equipment, structural components ( stick and staple to aluminum say? ).

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

If they could tell me or the year of mfg on the sticker was still legible I could provide a data point for an aluminum framed Phoenix. The best we've been able to do in dating our camper is sometime post 2000, but not by a lot.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

I know that Hallmark, and I would suspect the other major players, are constantly improving their product and as such there is not necessarily a change starting with a particular model year.

As you mentioned with Hallmark, their carbon fiberglass roof change was a major one and is IMHO the best roof on the market. Also their Superlift lifting mechanism is probably the best in the business as well. I know that until the last few years they had several different mechanism that you could choose from but I believe they have gone to this one exclusively now.

If you find a particular unit that appeals to you and post some information here there are probably a few people who have one that is close enough to give you some specific feedback.

Edited by smlobx, 30 June 2017 - 05:26 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Bundutec USA might be a good possibility. It is owned by Rory Willet, whose father owns Northstar and he retired from there got bored and opened up a US version of the campers.

Windy from WTW bought one and loves it. They do custom.

Definitely worth an email. I have conversed with them and they are on the short list. They seem very willing to work to make the camper what you need :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

HappyJax:I have looked at the Bundutec site and as I have no first hand experience as a "new" to this I can only do "abstract" comparisons ( visiting manufacturers, and observations at 2015 Flagstaff Overland dog & pony show certainly helped ). Bundutec looks comparable to my "current" Hallmark, Outfitter favorites. 

Smlobx:My rational for this was to help myself and possibly provide for anyone else doing research about buying used so they can best estimate what they would be reading about/looking at in the used market and so as to value/evaluate.

Good for the manufacturers to find new and innovative ( found that Hallmark has a patent on one of their lift mechanisms as an example ), some of us take more risks buying, doing, going and just trying "things" out. My truck arrives next week. So late July is likely for my visit to greater Denver area. Thanks for your responses from the both of you. If I find something for sale and owner is not knowledgeable and not in a hurry I will ask on this forum or one of the other forum on WTW.

Terence

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Idahostat what truck are you getting?

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that regardless of the brand and the stated weight of the camper it will in all likelihood weigh more that that.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:07 AM

Too bad there isn't a wiki page from each manufacturer because this is essentially what you need.  Best of luck, it's an ambitious task.

Given the limited supply vs. high demand of used popups, one is considered lucky to find a unit that fits their truck at a fair price in their area.  This is where in depth knowledge would certainly come in handy to make a quick decision.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: change, age, modifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users