27 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

When I found our Phoenix in CL local to us I was ON IT! I knew it wouldn't last long.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:46 AM

Idahostat what truck are you getting?

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that regardless of the brand and the stated weight of the camper it will in all likelihood weigh more that that.

Hello smlobx ( Eddie )

In my signature line I reference a Ford F350. I ordered a XL with the camper/snow plow prep, FX4, crew cab, LB with the diesel engine option ( 2017 as a 48 gallon fuel tank ). It has arrived at the dealer, so after the 4th and allowing for credit union paper and wind drift I expect to start "learning" it nuances. Door sticker says 4164 so approximately 2Tons. If I follow ( attempt 80% rule ) I have been looking at wet camper "estimates" in the 2400-3000 range. Reading others and what they have done and un-done, I know to take things with a bag of salt and the used market with patience ( I e-mailed CL listing for a used Outfitter asking after if he new any details of his unit, had no ( materials, construction ) clue other than the model and the year so I proceed with care )).

Edited by Idahostat, 03 July 2017 - 12:48 AM.

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#13 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

Too bad there isn't a wiki page from each manufacturer because this is essentially what you need.  Best of luck, it's an ambitious task.

Given the limited supply vs. high demand of used popups, one is considered lucky to find a unit that fits their truck at a fair price in their area.  This is where in depth knowledge would certainly come in handy to make a quick decision.

Bill D

Yes it is somewhat ambitious, however my interest is in minimizing my mistakes and maximizing my knowledge so as to move along toward a suitable camper. My problems tend to be historically I  tend over research ( I have the time and "some" patience ), being cheap and poor in the past I tried to "do or fix" many things ( so some skills ) my tendency is to "Buy" that $1300 Jayco and make it work, however I now live in an apartment with limited tools and parking, so I have walk away from those "deals" so that $7500 to $25K brand X may be a wiser move so I can also ask "where does that road go" as opposed to where do I scrounge a HECO acme threaded whatsit! I appreciate the chase but maybe I should just relax go for a drive instead.

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#14 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

Idahostat,

I have spent most of my life fixing my own stuff. Dad grew up in the depression and was dirt poor as a kid so he fixed everything and I learned it from him.

I was thinking about buying used or a shell and modifying everything to suit me.

Not a bad plan but I am older now and want to spend more time enjoying my camper then working on it.

I guess that is why it has taken me so long and now I am leaning towards those who will build what I want.

I get where you come from but maybe it's time for us to let go and just have fun :)

Either way you have the right people here to help you find your way :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#15 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

Idahostat,

I have spent most of my life fixing my own stuff. Dad grew up in the depression and was dirt poor as a kid so he fixed everything and I learned it from him.

I was thinking about buying used or a shell and modifying everything to suit me.

Not a bad plan but I am older now and want to spend more time enjoying my camper then working on it.

I guess that is why it has taken me so long and now I am leaning towards those who will build what I want.

I get where you come from but maybe it's time for us to let go and just have fun :)

Either way you have the right people here to help you find your way :)

Thanks Happyjax

Having spent "lots" of time mending, improvising and asking others for their experience(s) on how they did something over the decades and I have some monies put aside so rather than another project of "yeah, I can 'probably" fix/replace whatever, I just seek the least problematic popup camper to "wander" the west in and YES their is a google of experience around the WTW ( with also TOS ) so I ask and maybe I shall receive ( answers, well maybe...).

Terence

#16 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

Group Question

Assuming I survive my "echo cardiogram" ( expected ), I will be off to look and ask questions of Hallmark and Outfitter in Colorado. Kindly express your experience in "what" questions too ask about used campers, for those of you who have done this type of purchase what did you look for?

Inspect for?

Stress points ( I have read DoGMatix Hallmark Guanella "Rear turnbuckle mount failure", twice )

What wears out?

I have e-mailed several people about their used Hallmark and Outfitter campers ( mostly Craig's list and RVTrader derived ) and most do not relate any problems but most do not know or at least answer questions concerning structural ( is your model/vintage a stick and staple frame? or aluminum framed?, I do understand if it is the second or third owner of the aforementioned campers that I am corresponding with as they did not remember if they asked the party from which they purchased the camper they are now trying to sell, or it seemed fine to them.

What items see frequent replacement? IE water pumps, compressors, in older HECO lifts, gears seem to "wear" or perhaps the specification was "loose" in the manufacturing process, this is mostly derived from reading a lot of posts on multiple forums.

I have not found a basic FAQ ( kindly point/link if you know of one, please ) on things to inspect and expect to find on used campers.

Terence

Edited by Idahostat, 03 August 2017 - 10:52 PM.

Terence

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Here's a thread that might help answer some of your questions. It's FWC focused, but much will cross over.

http://www.wanderthe...r-buyers-guide/

I am haunted by waters

#18 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Wandering Sagebrush

Thanks, I will read it over, there is bound to be some cross over in the general sense I would think.

Again very useful, other than the out of date weblinks, basic is fine. As a note "SearchTempest is still functional as I just tried it out and it did report back on several Hallmark, Outfitter and a couple of Phoenix which I seldom see ( one 8' and for me a rare 9.5' )

So good points for checking in and around a 'used" camper.

T.

Edited by Idahostat, 05 August 2017 - 12:44 AM.

Terence

#19 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

I have purchased two used pop-ups, one 30 years old and one 9 years old.  For both I had to replace the converter/charger, refrigerator, cushions and mattress, as well as clean and spray the vinyl down with 303 to get it properly sealed.

On the older one I also had to replace the water pump and much of the water line (both fill and drain) along with fittings to the water tank.  The older one had 2 x 220ah 6v batteries so I didn't replace them, but on the newer one I replaced the deep cycle it came with with a VMAX 155ah battery.  I also added MPPT controllers and solar panels.

All of the above was pretty easy to do.  On the newer camper I had to chase down some leaks in the roof and that was more challenging than all of the stuff I did above.  This one thing got me thinking maybe I made a mistake selling the old camper since it was perfectly dry and leak free.

12DC systems, water systems, and even propane systems are easy to fix or update.  Water damage and leaks are a whole lot harder in my opinion to deal with, so that would be my focus when picking up a used camper.  In addition, any unusual lifting systems where the cables/controls/hydraulics are hard to get to would be also something I would closely inspect. Most everything else either you can readily do or pretty easily find someone you can pay to do.  With a leak its really hard to know for sure when you get it all taken care of properly, and if your repair will last.

#20 MTCK

MTCK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFairbanks AK

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Just my $0.02. When looking for a used pop up, they came and went very quickly. Originally I wanted a grandby, but expanded my search to include other brands and longer options. When a 16 year old Cuchara posted 400 miles away, I called the guy and he had all the right answers. Maintenance was done on the roof, no leaks, systems worked, no structural or siding damage. I went to inspect with cash in hand and paid full asking price. I had to do some cleaning, and will have to continue the maintenance, but got into a fully functional and well-kept camper for $7k instead of $40k for a new one. The seller had five other folks waiting to see it if I passed.
-Marcus1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 4.56 gears<p>Hallmark Cuchara

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: change, age, modifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users