104 replies to this topic

#1 Hausa

Hausa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPac NW

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

I know there's multiple threads discussing the pros and cons of truck size, fuel type, etc. so I'll try not to rehash those topics. I'm hoping to get some advice before making a big purchase.

I'm still shopping for a truck and camper, and I've pretty much boiled it down to a 1 ton diesel, crew cab, long bed. I like the fuel efficiency, turbo at altitude, and driving distance before refuel of the diesel; and I can get over the fact that it will likely be pricier to own and maintain. Crew cab for the growing family and dogs, and long bed for the same reason.  I'm looking for a used truck with <50k miles, something to hold on to for a while.

So my questions are:

1) Any benefit from doing a 3/4 ton instead of a 1 ton? It seems like the 1 ton isn't much more expensive, same fuel efficiency, and going over the listed payload capacity won't be an issue. Does the 3/4 ton ride noticeably different? I should note that i'm also shopping for used campers and while i'm most interested in a grandby, i think i'd be happy with an alaskan, northstar, hallmark where that extra payload would be put to use. 

2) Anyone feel strongly about which heavy duty diesel is the best fit for a camper? No need to rehash the chevy vs ram vs ford arguments, but it does seem like there's a lot of love in this community for the ram/cummins.  Any camper specific reasons why the ram is so well represented? 

Thanks ahead for any input! I've really enjoyed searching through this forum for all sorts of interesting (and sometimes useful) information. 

P.S. if anyone's selling a grandby semi-close to southwest montana I'm interested. 

Edited by Hausa, 09 July 2017 - 05:22 AM.

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

I can only post that I moved from a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan 4x4 to my current 3/4 ton 2009 F250 Superduty 4x4. I will never go back to 1/2 ton for camper or towing. That said my next truck will be a 1 ton. Not sure if I will stay with Ford as I like the new Dodges but no decision yet. My 2015 Hawk was made for a Ford higher cab so may stay with Ford unless my better half lets us go flatbed ;)

ONLY reason I want the 1 ton is I feel that sometimes when camper fully loaded and towing my jeep I'm close to max. I'm always of the belief bigger is better and probably safer NOTE I have never had any issues with the 3/4 ton for any reason. 

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

Same as Xjintx. I went from a 06 access cab to a f250 4x4 gasser. While i feel that I now have enough truck, I would consider a 1 ton next time around. 3/4 ton can sometimes feel like it is maxed out when you hit a big dip in the road at speed(road/bridge transition etc). 1 ton would give you that extra capacity to carry the trailer tongue weight also.

#4 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

Been rolling with a GMC 3500 Denali Sierra Duramax with BDS 6.5" LIFT for over a year now. I put Firestone air bags on it and it stopped all of the "Bucking" forward and backwards. On a scale of improvement 1-10? It is a solid 7! The rig is solid except for a slight rear end sway when changing lanes quickly. I'm going to install a Hellwig "Big wig" sway bar on the rear and then it should ride like I want it to. My bed is 6.5' long and I have a fully equipped Hawk. I cant imagine anything less than a 1 ton being safe on todays higher speed highways .... much less holding up to long term, serious off road excursions. I tend to overkill everything I build but I want to be done with it once built. The only things I don't like about being a diesel owner are the need for DEF, the possibility of water at fuel pumps being all to common and the filth of EVERY pump handle. Diesel users are some NASTY people! I keep a pair of thick rubber gloves on the rear floor inside for that reason. I think a lot of people choose the Dodge because of the cost of the overall rig (Truck, camper and everything else needed). Imho, a motor (Cummins) isn't worth much if its not getting you from point A to point B .... and over the long haul, a complete pkg is what we need unless we don't mind buying a new truck every ten years. Cummins, Powerstroke or Duramax ... they're all good ... until you get water in your fuel.

Attached Thumbnails

• gmc hawk.jpg

Edited by Bombsight, 09 July 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#5 Zunami1

Zunami1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

Depends on what model year. I went with new dodge 3/4 because of rear coil springs. I think the ride is better when empty. Definitely better on my dirt road near home. Water in fuel issue is overstated. There is a separator and warning lights. Plus the customers before you. It's oil and does not evaporate like gas. It will linger on pumy handles and ground where ever it's spilled. Difinetly has dirtier feel at some fuel station as stated above. The front end on my dodge is 500 lbs. Heavier than gas motor option and 10ooo dollars more. Gas engines are so good now but the range of diesel as flash point of gas keeps me in a cummins with some mods we don't talk about. Def? I have had to buy any for awhile.

#6 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Overstated? Once you have water in your tank, all of the separators and warning lights in the world isn't going to make a difference <_<. You will not get around having to drop the tank and flush the ENTIRE fuel system of water. That's how it is on a Duramax.  It will cost you well over a grand to straighten out what "others in front of you" got also.

... and whoever doesn't know that the mess at the pumps is oil probably doesn't realize they don't have spark plugs and should opt for a gas guzzler.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

From my '96 CTD ownership perspective I'd avoid those trucks that require DEF. Essentially these trucks require two different "fuels".

I also think that finding a diesel with the mileage that low is going to be extremely difficult. I suspect that you're applying gasoline mileage ideals to a diesel, and that is like thinking what you were paid for 20 acres in Nebraska will buy you a similar 20 acres in California. For a gasser that might be 1/3 to 1/2 of it's useful life, it's only 1/7th of of our CTD's current mileage and I fully expect to drop that to at least 1/10th before this engine shows much sign of wear.

Said differently, a diesel FS with only ~50k on it will be because A) the truck is a lemon, B) the owner passed and none of the rest of the family wants it, or extremely rarely C) the owner didn't like the truck. In short, a difficult find.

I'll also echo the phrase I've often read about these CTD's, "Nice engine, too bad it comes wrapped in a Dodge!" My fantasy is to scrap the Dodge sheet metal and replace it with a Restomodded '76-'79 Ford SuperCab, but that's a huge project & I'd rather go exploring.

I try really hard to only buy diesel from pumps that have a spin-on filter right at where the hose is attached to the pump. It's not a guaranty of no water, but it makes me feel better. :) I suppose that I should carry a real chamois for those really questionable fill-ups, but dispensing 60 gallons of fuel through a chamois would be a chore.

Edited by ntsqd, 09 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

A clear jar and a little bit of settling time might work. You'll see water at the bottom if there is any.

... but back to the op topic ...

I wouldn't want anything short of a 1 ton unless the trails I'm blazin' just cant accommodate the size of it. Toyota Tacoma is the answer then.

#9 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

1:  No need for a 1 ton for a FWC. My Chevy HD2500 with stock suspension handles my 2,000 lb loaded Hawk great and at the scales I am 700 pounds under max payload. You mentioned the possibility of heavier campers though so I would definitely go 1 ton. 

2:  Gas or diesel....a can of worms opening. I live at altitude and cross the 12,000' passes here with ease in my gasser, plenty of power and my mileage ain't bad. Plus I saved 9 grand on the purchase price. With a bigger camper and dragging a trailer with toys I would go diesel but as others have mentioned the new ones scare me.

3:  Brand....bigger can opening. I love my Chevy  :)

Kudos for considering payload when choosing a truck!

sCElTG1.jpg

Edited by rotti, 09 July 2017 - 04:35 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#10 Hausa

Hausa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPac NW

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

From my '96 CTD ownership perspective I'd avoid those trucks that require DEF. Essentially these trucks require two different "fuels".

I also think that finding a diesel with the mileage that low is going to be extremely difficult. I suspect that you're applying gasoline mileage ideals to a diesel, and that is like thinking what you were paid for 20 acres in Nebraska will buy you a similar 20 acres in California. For a gasser that might be 1/3 to 1/2 of it's useful life, it's only 1/7th of of our CTD's current mileage and I fully expect to drop that to at least 1/10th before this engine shows much sign of wear.

Said differently, a diesel FS with only ~50k on it will be because A) the truck is a lemon, B) the owner passed and none of the rest of the family wants it, or extremely rarely C) the owner didn't like the truck. In short, a difficult find.

I'll also echo the phrase I've often read about these CTD's, "Nice engine, too bad it comes wrapped in a Dodge!" My fantasy is to scrap the Dodge sheet metal and replace it with a Restomodded '76-'79 Ford SuperCab, but that's a huge project & I'd rather go exploring.

I try really hard to only buy diesel from pumps that have a spin-on filter right at where the hose is attached to the pump. It's not a guaranty of no water, but it makes me feel better. :) I suppose that I should carry a real chamois for those really questionable fill-ups, but dispensing 60 gallons of fuel through a chamois would be a chore.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the diesel engine's last much longer, but I'm also considering the rest of the truck when aiming for low mileage. in general less miles = less abuse. obviously that's not always the case, but it's a used truck with a mysterious track record. i'm open to higher mileage if the truck has been well maintained, but sometimes it can be hard for an ignorant driver like myself. my intention is to purchase from a dealer relatively close to home. any general tips or suggestions on things to avoid when buying used would be greatly appreciated.

also, the pre DEF trucks seem to sell at such a premium now that i'm not convinced it's worth it to shell out so much money for a 10-15 year old truck. the complexity of the new diesel engines seems like a cluster, but that's the brave new world we live in and my hope is that the newer ones have improved enough the avoid all the engine lights and repairs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users