• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Not here in Minnesota. I’ve seen 5 year old diesel 1 tons with 150,000 miles and they are asking 30k. The sales guys will say that engine is just getting broken in. To which I reply yeah and the rest of the truck is just getting broken.

7.3 Super Duties (pre-2003) are still fetching over $20K in the south.  I sold my 2003 with 98K for $24,000 in 2016;  paid $32K new!

As long as there isn't any corrosion, everything on that truck is rebuildable.  I think my 2003 was a much better truck when I sold it then new due to suspension and other upgrades I installed.

Refreshing worn out parts is a far sight cheaper than buying a new truck, that's for sure.  And I am a strong advocate in preventive maintenance.  I generally replace tired parts before they break so I'm not stranded in the boonies.

I just bought a new to me, 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser (diesel), right hand drive, with 63k miles on it.  It just came over from Japan.   It will be my daily driver since my FWC Hawk is in the bed of my F-350 24/7/365.

Edited by Advmoto18, 06 April 2018 - 02:12 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#102 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

Let's see some pics Bill!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#103 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Let's see some pics Bill!

Here you go Eddie.

My soon to be daily driver.  5 speed, 3.4L diesel.

Screenshot_2018-04-07_17.45.55.png

Sitting on the dock in Japan waiting to be stuffed in a CONEX box.

I take delivery next month.

Land Cruisers Direct is installing:

1.  OME 2" suspension and shocks

2.  16" Toyota FJ steel wheels, powder coated Gunmetal

3.  BF Goodrich 255/R75-16 KO2 tires (and spare mounted on back door)

4.  Expedition One front winch bumper

When I get it home I have a Warn Zeon 10S sitting in the garage I will mount in the bumper.

Once it's all done, it will look similar to this one.

Screenshot_2018-04-07_17.52.35.png

Screenshot_2018-04-07_17.57.57.png

I did not opt for the rear bumper (spare tire carrier and can holder), which is super nice.  It was a budget buster.  Maybe next year.  

Edited by Advmoto18, 11 April 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#104 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

VERY NICE !!!
Are you going to take it to Baja?
I was thinking of getting something like this when I retire and don't have to drive as much unless I want to!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#105 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

VERY NICE !!!
Are you going to take it to Baja?
I was thinking of getting something like this when I retire and don't have to drive as much unless I want to!

Thx Eddie!

My thinking exactly.  I need a daily driver to take dogs with me, pull the boat, haul stuff and get decent MPG.  The 3.4L get about 22MPG around town so I've been told.

Not sure about Baja.  I will be driving it to SC from MO next month.  I will know more about long range/distance travel in it after that trip.  Sadly, the 1988 roof design will not support the weight of a rack mounted tent so popular these days.  So you have to throw a ground tent in back for shelter.  I have a nice Jet F25 tent.  But no way is the wife giving up the FWC hawk for a tent.  So any Baja trip in the LC will be solo with the dogs.  Besides, Lynn prefers flying to Cabo and getting picked up!

Plus, with the cost of new Super Duties, I have to make my 2016 last a while and keep the daily miles off the odometer.  If I buy a new one in 15 years, at 78yo, a new SD might be over $100K!!!  So my 2016 might have to last me until I punch out for the last time!

One thing to keep in mind about a BJ74 import...it is a 24V system.  Only 12V things on the LC are the headlight.  When one fails, both must be replaced.  Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.  fortuantely, most overland electrical gear produced now-a-days is selectable 12/24V.  I plan on getting a Luna 50L frig/freezer to toss in the back for food/beverages for adventures.  

Under the hood...

Screenshot_2018-04-11_09.31.19.png

Easy to work on and a very simple diesel design Toyota has been using for many decades.  Parts are available world-wide.

The Warn Zeon 24V was difficult to obtain.  Warn only exports the 24V Zeon.  I called OK4WD in NJ.  I've used them for years for my 4WD product to include OME, Warn and other things.  They have an outstanding relationship with Warn.  Warn agreed to drop ship a 24V Zeon 10 (P/N 90665) directly to me.  How's that for customer service by OK4WD!  Interestingly, the 90665 does not come with syn rope or cable.  So I ordered 80' of Diamondback syn rope from Custom Splice.  Using a Factor 55 Flatlink E in OD Green on the end of the rope with a Factor 55 1.0 Hawse fairlead on the bumper.  I only winch with a "closed system" these days.  Bought my first Warn winch in 1972.  Lucky we never maimed or killed someone with our learn what doesn't work winching techniques as we went winching back then!

Sorry to hijack the HD truck thread.  In further postings about the LC will be in a new thread.

Edited by Advmoto18, 11 April 2018 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users